Talk

Advanced search

One pot inspiration please!

(32 Posts)
Imsosorryalan75 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:43:13

I've got into a rut of cooking the same old stuff..spag bol, shepherds pies, chilli, stir fry's. I like making a sauce type thing to go with pasta/rice. Something that I can stretch out over two nights is a bonus to save me cooking the next day!

Soo bored of it now, please give me more ideas to stop us getting food boredom.

BucketfannywhoreIstinksofshit Mon 08-Apr-19 21:44:30

Chicken, chorizo, chickpeas, tomatoes.

Could you do a risotto?

ParisWilton Mon 08-Apr-19 21:46:57

Sausage cassoulet - I make it in the slow cooker

Angeladelight Mon 08-Apr-19 21:46:58

BBC good food have some great one pot curries and risottos. Very simple and a nice change from staples like bolognese and chilli. Loads of variety too.

Alphabetspaghett Mon 08-Apr-19 21:47:26

Tom kerridge beef biriyani

GrannyHaddock Mon 08-Apr-19 21:47:30

There's a BBC Good Food small paperback of 101 one-pot meals full of delicious recipes. It's not expensive.

MelanieCheeks Mon 08-Apr-19 21:48:10

Chunky minestrone-sauté some onions, peppers, cabbage. Add tomato juice, or tinned, or some purée.stock to thin. Handful of pasta. Serve with grated cheese and croutons, or crusty bread.

NotSoThinLizzy Mon 08-Apr-19 22:14:27

There's a great app called tasty is fantastic. The garlic parmesan pasta is the best thing every and soo quick

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 08-Apr-19 22:27:53

This BNS and chickpea stew

Peopleshouldread Mon 08-Apr-19 22:28:26

Pasta bake - with vegies , ham or bacon and a cheesy white sauce( use two kinds of cheese like gouda and mozzarella - add a pinch of nutmeg) Can also do it with a spag Bol sauce. Mix pasta and veg or mince together, our cheese source over the top , add a crust by blending some breadcrumbs with butter , parsley and parmesan cheese, salt and pepper as a crust. Bake till crust is cooked.

Chop chicken breast, chorizo ( as said above), red onions, add chicken peas or white beans if you like, add roasted garlic( look up how to do this), cherry tomatoes whole, and a bit of chicken stock, and a smidgen of tomato paste. Season with a bunch of smoked paprika. Mix it all together .Bake at 180 for about 50 miuntes and serve with baby potatoes and salad.

Get several pork chops and trim most of the fat off them. Pain fry just to seal them. Sautee separately onion, garlic, sliced carrots and sliced potatoes. Place the veg on the bottom of a casserole dish, and lay the chops on top. Add 3 cups of stock and a couple of splashes of soy sauce. Stick in the oven for about 1.5 hour on a lower heat. Serve with cous cous and salad.

Make Singapore noodles. ( need a big deep frying pan or a wok)Get a couple of packets of thin rice stick noodles. Cook to instructions.
Get some chicken breasts or pork fillets. Coat in a Char Sui sauce/Hoi sin sauce. Put in a foil lined tray and cover. Cook for 45 minutes at about 170 with cover on them, them remove cover and cook for another 15. Cool and slice in strips.
Make a 4/5 egg flat omelet with egg only. Fry till solid tipping the pan so the egg reached up all the sides. Set aside to chop into strips later.. Collect bean sprouts ( the white ones), green scallops ( slice finely), some grated carrot , peas, some broccoli ( if the family likes it), some baby spinach leaves or a choi sum or book choi and chop, slice an onion into strips, add coriander or chives finely chopped.. Dice 3 cloves of garlic, a 5 cm piece of ginger and two chillis. Put all the separate ingredients in a collection of bowls.
Now once you start cooking, you need to get going at speed or the noodles will disintegrate.
Using a light oil ( peanut or similar) sautée the garlic, ginger and chilli. Add 3-4 heaped tablespoons of curry powder( be heavy handed) and add onion. Keep moving this around the pan, add some chicken stock liquid to ensure the curry powder won't burn, add bean sprouts , keep stirring, add noodles plus more stock and a couple of splashes of soy sauce. Then add the rest of the veg till its thoroughly mixed with the noddles. Add a bit of liquid to sort of steam the vegies. Add sliced egg and sliced chicken/pork and mix through. The noodles should be uniformly yellow and there should not be too much liquid. Garnish with coriander and green onions.

Have fun deciphering the above.

Thisnamechanger Mon 08-Apr-19 22:29:48

Have a go at this, I just had it for dinner it's amazing

www.theguardian.com/food/2019/mar/30/meera-sodha-vegan-recipe-broccoli-fennel-chickpea-stew?CMP=fb_gu

Wolfiefan Mon 08-Apr-19 22:30:04

Won’t do for two nights but I like a traybake. Chuck it in the oven and walk away!
Pulled pork in the slow cooker can last us a couple of days.
Roast a chicken and then use the leftovers the next day.
Slow cook brisket then make a pie or hash with leftovers.

Letthemysterybe Mon 08-Apr-19 22:33:00

Sausage and fennel pasta sauce.

Constantlurker Mon 08-Apr-19 22:42:06

3-4 chicken breast cut into chunks, chopped chorizo, red onion, red pepper, tin of drained chickpeas or mixed beans, 3/4 of a bag of little new/jazzy potatoes, 1 can of chopped tomatoes and about 3 tbsp paprika. Chuck it all in the slow cooker raw give it a good stir. about 6-7hrs on slow and you've got a delicious spanish style stew. We have it with those bake at home bread rolls. It's frickin delicious. I could live on the stuff.

Constantlurker Mon 08-Apr-19 22:43:17

Forgot to say that serves 4 and it's a healthy portion. Freezes really well too. Lived on the stuff when baby came!

Imsosorryalan75 Tue 09-Apr-19 08:45:46

Wow thanks! Some amazing recipes here. Never thought of BBC good food either.

Snog Tue 09-Apr-19 10:27:25

Paella or coq au vin?
If you like tray bakes there is a fab book called The Roasting Tin

GrannyHaddock Tue 09-Apr-19 20:38:05

I do an occasional traybake, generally chicken drumsticks or thighs, red onion, peppers courgette, carrot etc plus lemon or lime juice and maple syrup. Maybe with baked potato. It's delicious but always takes way longer than I expect, usually an hour, even divided between two trays, it needs a hot oven and I imagine it uses £kw in electricity. The slow cooker, if you get to grips with it, is far more economical.

StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 09-Apr-19 20:55:25

Do you like / have you tried Lebanese food? You could very easily adapt curry or chilli recipes by switching to another spice palette. I also love Jamaican curry - I tend to use a combination of jerk seasoning and Caribbean curry paste.

If you like creamy sauces, try mixing a couple of spoonfuls of pesto into low-fat creme fraiche - takes seconds, and goes further for less fat than pesto alone. Or add some to a blender with some avocado, garlic and lime juice.

Seren85 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:11:37

I made this tonight:

www.eatyourselfskinny.com/beef-and-tomato-stew/

Moaningmertyl Tue 09-Apr-19 21:47:10

Placemarking because I like the sound of some of these!

Bubblegumgal Tue 09-Apr-19 22:28:19

Tesco real food is a game changer 👌 loads of recipes & takes two clicks to add all ingredients to your basket.

mouse26 Tue 09-Apr-19 22:54:26

Our two favourites at the moment have very similar ingredients: chicken, chorizo, onion, mushrooms, garlic , chickpeas and whatever other veggies are in the fridge added to either pasta and passata or rice boiled with chicken or vegetable stock. The pasta never lasts more than one meal because ds1 absolutely loved it and is a bottomless pit at the moment, but the rice easily stretches to 2 meals and a couple of lunches

theoldtrout01876 Tue 09-Apr-19 23:01:49

Raw rice in bottom of a baking dish
Add 1 can of chopped tomatoes and a can of water
Chopped peppers or corn if desired
Chicken breast , pork chops or fish on top
Large jar or salsa on top of that
Bake till rice is done
Can add cheese near the end to brown up if you want

Xiaoxiong Tue 09-Apr-19 23:05:13

Placemarking as I am on a self-catering holiday and arrived to find there is no oven!! Everything I planned is out the window and I am scrambling to redo everything to be one pot on the hob.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »