Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever wake up and see a figure standing over you?

(127 Posts)
Shipley Mon 08-Apr-19 21:24:16

Ive had this for years and always presumed its just a sleep/waking crossover but my friend said its weird!
I lived in my old house for 13 years and this house for 2 and it's happened in both houses. I don't remember it happening as a kid or before I left home. Sometimes I've thought it was my daughter stood about to fall out of her cot and now she's older and sleeps in my bed sometimes I think she's stood up and about to fall. A few nights ago I woke and 'saw a tall male figure stood over me, I gasped and shouted(perhaps only in a dream) my son's name thinking it was him as he is tall.

I never remember the dreams leading up to these moments and as soon as my eyes focus I see nothing and can go back to sleep.

If I thought it was a ghost I may burn my house down!

No other strange goings on and I think it happened before my Grandma passed in 2012 who is the only close relative I have lost as an adult.

So is it just me or is it a known phenomena? Or is it a spirt world sign?!

I'm inclined to think an angel wouldn't frighten me from my sleep!

PotteringAlong Mon 08-Apr-19 21:24:58

Nope, never...!

WelcomeToGreenvale Mon 08-Apr-19 21:25:38

Sleep paralysis! Scary but harmless.

managedmis Mon 08-Apr-19 21:27:03

No thank god

Girlicorne Mon 08-Apr-19 21:27:41

This happens to me quite often, but only since we moved to our current home which is quite old. I don't believe in ghosts etc so I d love to know what this is!!

Emus Mon 08-Apr-19 21:28:23

I've had it a few times too. @Welcome is right, it's called sleep paralysis and is harmless.

PurpleDaisies Mon 08-Apr-19 21:29:07

Yes. It is usually my husband asking me if I want a cup of tea.

Wilma55 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:29:12

Yes it happens to me. Like a male figure looming over me - I have been known to scream!

SpidersWilliesOnYourFrillies1 Mon 08-Apr-19 21:29:36

Yes once as a teen, still creeps me out thinking about it 'the man in all black' that I saw then sat at then end of my bed (I actually felt the bed go down)

I've convinced myself it was sleep paralysis

AguerosAngel Mon 08-Apr-19 21:29:46

It happens to me quite a lot, but the figure is in the corner of the room rather than over the bed.

Definitely sleep paralysis (I hope!)

theworldistoosmall Mon 08-Apr-19 21:30:31

Yes I do. Sometimes standing, sometimes sitting on the bed.

ToPlanZ Mon 08-Apr-19 21:30:32

Yes I have this regularly. My family can vouch that my screaming is very much real.

BadPennyNoBiscuit Mon 08-Apr-19 21:30:45

Its not ghosts, its just your brain.
This is a useful resource if you have sleep paralysis or night terrors;

www.nightterrors.org

BrightYellowDaffodil Mon 08-Apr-19 21:30:52

Yes, once in my old house, it was some relatives. I was a child and didn't think anything of it at the time, it seemed perfectly normal.

Glitterblue Mon 08-Apr-19 21:31:13

I have, and it was terrifying. I couldn't move or say anything either. It was like I was pinned to the bed and a dark figure looming over me. I've had it a few times.

Redcrayons Mon 08-Apr-19 21:32:09

I do.
It's really scary for those few seconds when I can't work out what's going on. I call it night terrors.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 21:32:45

Yes but only if I’m particularly tired or stressed. Either human figures or animals. Always totally black. Zero discernible features, like a silhouette. I can see them moving towards me, pulling my curtains, opening my door, I see the door handle turning down, I can see my clothes on my rail moving if I’m seeing a cat walk through them. It’s fucking terrifying. I’ve finally somehow trained myself to realise what’s happening while it’s happening and I can wake myself up but it’s a fairly scary few minutes until I can wake. I’ve previously screamed and leapt out of bed so many times.

turbototty Mon 08-Apr-19 21:33:25

When I was in my halls of residence at university (20 years ago) I very clearly saw the image of an old man next to my bed. It was so clear and I kept opening and shutting my eyes hoping that I was imagining it, but he was still there. I felt quite frightened at the time and have never been able to explain it away. I hadn’t been drinking (or taking drugs!) and I have experienced nothing similar since. Never forgotten about it though.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 21:33:54

It happened once in a hotel room and I was mortified at how loudly and scarily I had screamed. I definitely woke someone in the adjoining rooms. blush

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 21:33:58

Well as a person that does believe in the paranormal this would scare me. Ghosts don't, spirits don't, a regular figure standing over me as I sleep? Nope!!!!

I'm stopping there with my post for fear of getting flamed.

FloofenHoofen Mon 08-Apr-19 21:33:58

I have hypnopimpic hallucinations, where I wake up and see things or hear things. I'm not awake awake, I'm more half asleep half awake if that makes sense? A bit like how you say you eventually focus your eyes and then realise nothing is there. It's like you're transitioning from dream state to reality.

Anyway, it's only sleep paralysis if you actually can't move. If you're able to shout or move then it's not true sleep paralysis. When I asked a question about my sleep issue everyone said it was that but it's not and doctor confirmed that.

They're hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations.

theworldistoosmall Mon 08-Apr-19 21:34:46

Should have added that I have been experiencing this since childhood and now it doesn't bother me as much. He's followed me during house moves, holidays and showed up in the hospital a few times (although that could have been the drugs lol) At times I have weirdly found him comforting, not as in touching or anything lol, just knowing he's still there.
It's harmless. If anything was going to happen he would have done it years ago.
I have also seen him during waking hours.

cantwait2bfree Mon 08-Apr-19 21:35:45

Ya I feel like someone is standing there and it actually wakes me up with my heart rate on speed like I’ve been racing

Apoiads Mon 08-Apr-19 21:37:22

Nope. Touch wood!

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 21:39:03

theworldistoosmall it would be really interesting to see if a medium could pick up any energy around you/see if they could find out more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »