Talk

Advanced search

I really envy assertive people

(4 Posts)
Cupppp Mon 08-Apr-19 20:41:51

I know envy isn’t a nice emotion so IABU. I just wish I had the gumption to say what I want. I’m ok at work (to my company’s credit, the culture is very open and there is no “grade-ism” so people can be candid without repercussion).

It’s relationships that’s the problem for me. I honestly think it’s an innate skill and the couples I know with the best relationships communicate frankly with each other. I asked one such friend whether she had ever been reluctant to say something to her husband (or ex boyfriends) because she feared the answer - she looked confused by the question.

I want to tell a friend how I feel about him. We’re very flirty, mostly via messenger. This thread isn’t a “does he want me?” one - Mumsnetters couldn’t say, they don’t know him or me. I’d just like to know what an assertive person would write and how she’d steel herself for a “no thanks” reply.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Mon 08-Apr-19 20:44:15

We’re very flirty, mostly via messenger.

Knock ^^ that on the head, get him out IRL and see what the chemistry is like … then lean in and snog him

Sausage01 Mon 08-Apr-19 22:13:41

It just needs a "hey, how about meeting up for a drink (or insert you're own activity here), it would be lovely to see you...". You aren't flinging yourself at him or screaming I love you as it could be interpreted as friendly then see how it goes.

sunshinelollipopsrainbows Mon 08-Apr-19 22:23:01

Actions speak louder than words OP. I'd dial down the messenger a bit and try and see him more in person.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »