Talk

Advanced search

A question about dog friendly beaches

(151 Posts)
SusieOwl4 Mon 08-Apr-19 20:21:15

If you had a child that was obviously terrified of dogs would you take them to a dog friendly beach ?

Just asking because I had an experience that made me feel embarrassed and stressed . My dog is a lovely dog and having training but does get a bit over excited . We were on a dog friendly beach with him on a lead and lots of other doggy people with all their dogs running about said to let him off . So I did and he was fine coming back every time I called him. He played in the water and with other dogs . Then I saw him running to my right towards a family on the beach . I immediately called him and he came back to me and I put him back on the lead. But in those few seconds the girl was picked up by the father and was literally screaming and the mother was waving and shouting at my dog . Trust me I was mortified and almost in tears even though my dog had probably not got within 40 feet of them . But the child screaming obviously meant she was petrified of dogs and trust me there were a lot of dogs on the beach . And before you say yes I am taking my dog for more refresher training and I do feel bad .

BlueSlipperSocks Wed 10-Apr-19 18:23:57

Flobochin

*Are you really always so obtuse?
Mrs Always Right*

I have no problem letting my dog off the lead in public places. I can trust my dog to recall 100%...Immediatedly. What about you? Is there a reason that your dogs spend their life shackled to you, seeing as they are "Very well trained" hmm

Stripyhoglets Wed 10-Apr-19 18:09:19

Aren't banned!

Stripyhoglets Wed 10-Apr-19 18:08:59

Yanbu. Sounds like your dog came back when called so i really wouldn't give it a second thought. People that terrified of dogs should avoid beaches where they are banned

FenellaMaxwell Wed 10-Apr-19 17:43:42

Now now, @Flobochin - No need to get stressed, not good for you. grin

Flobochin Wed 10-Apr-19 16:33:42

@BlueSlipperSocks

Are you really always so obtuse?

Mrs Always Right?

BlueSlipperSocks Wed 10-Apr-19 15:31:46

I am a dog owner, however a dog friendly beach doesn't mean its a dog beach where untrained dogs should be allowed off their leads

Untrained dogs shouldn't be allowed off their leads anywhere.... The OP's dog recalled when asked. He hurt nobody, he didn't put his muddy paws on anybody, he didn't shake his wet body over anybody....there is nothing at all to suggest OP's dog went on a rampage.. He was having a run, he ran a bit further than OP envisaged. She called him. He returned. The dog wasn't a nuisance or a menace to anyone.

TooManyBiscuitsNotEnoughTea Wed 10-Apr-19 15:14:48

I am a dog owner, however a dog friendly beach doesn't mean its a dog beach where untrained dogs should be allowed off their leads.

It just means that there MIGHT be dogs there surely?

Most beaches by me allow dogs, especially at this time of the year.

My dog is not aggressive at all but after a recent incident I always try to keep her on a lead. I had just parked up and was going to my caravan. I opened the car door and the dog jumped out and ran towards a little girl (she was probably about 10 years of age) and sat at her feet and did a begging motion for a stroke. The girl SCREAMED and said my dog had tried to bite her. She hadn't.

I respected that she was afraid of dogs and mine shouldn't have been off the lead, was a mistake but would rather keep them on the lead than risk my dog being accused of biting someone!

Her little brother also shouted "Why is she sniffing all my fucking stuff". They were a charming family.

BlueSlipperSocks Wed 10-Apr-19 15:03:40

My dogs are well trained, thank you for your concern

Then you'll have no problem with your dogs letting off energy, with other dogs, in open spaces, knowing they have a solid recall, will return immediately and will walk to heel when asked. Dogs who are well trained don't need to be on lead on a beach. Of course... if your dogs are well trained you'll know that.... hmm

Flobochin Wed 10-Apr-19 14:01:55

@BlueSlipperSocks

My dogs are well trained, thank you for your concern.

Pity some owners aren't as well trained!

OhDearGodLookAtThisMess Wed 10-Apr-19 13:41:54

We went to a dog-friendly cottage once, advertised on a dog-friendly website. The owners lived on site and had 2 large dogs themselves. We had our 4 month old puppy with us who was reasonably trained but not all the way. The family in one of the other cottages has a child who screamed the place down whenever he set eyes on our daft pup. The parents asked us to keep him out of the communal areas at all times. I was more than pissed off at this request, as we specifically chose this place so the dog could roam in safely-enclosed grounds. We spoke to the owners, whose dogs also roamed free and they backed us up.

LakieLady Wed 10-Apr-19 13:29:25

JMoore, I am so jealous!

I fell in love with Cotons when I met some puppies at Crufts. They look like lap dogs but they are really game little things. One of them was desperate to play with my fully grown lakelands, so the owner put them in the pen together and even though he was half her size they had a great game.

They are possibly the breed that has the most misleading appearance imo!

MsTSwift Wed 10-Apr-19 13:15:11

We sought out dog free beaches when ours were toddlers. Many dog owners ignored the signs and still brought their dogs hmm

BlueSlipperSocks Wed 10-Apr-19 13:12:12

Are you afraid to let your dog off lead because she’s poorly trained

Yes that sums it up nicely. If Flobochin has never allowed her dog off lead it will never have learnt recall.

Her dogs must be kept on lead (because they are untrained) therefore, no other dog can enjoy freedom, when appropriate - like on a dog friendly beach!

Flobochin
There is nothing at all to say dogs must be kept on a lead in all public spaces. I agree dogs must be kept under control. Under control does not mean on lead.

FenellaMaxwell Wed 10-Apr-19 09:45:33

Not in the least bit stressed thanks, @Flobochin. It’s just you seem to be rather hard of understanding, so I thought it best to really spell it out for you.

Flobochin Wed 10-Apr-19 09:41:48

@FenellaMaxwell

No need to get stressed, not good for you.

Flobochin Wed 10-Apr-19 09:07:20

@havingtochangeusernameagain

Dogs need time to run off lead to prevent health issues

No they don't, they can be on a canicross lead.

Of course you're so right. But some people are blind to the obvious.

echt Wed 10-Apr-19 09:04:16

The canicross lead implies the human is running.

So a dog needs to run. So what if the human can't run?

FenellaMaxwell Wed 10-Apr-19 09:04:04

@Flobochin I have pasted the link to the actual law - maybe give it a read rather than, you know, just making shit up..... confused. Most public spaces do NOT have signs saying keep your dog on a lead. Some do, but the one that the OP is talking about DID NOT.

Lifeover Wed 10-Apr-19 08:59:22

Having a can I toss lead is fine if your hips aren’t knackered from birth trauma and the ligaments aren’t covered in endo making it impossible to run

havingtochangeusernameagain Wed 10-Apr-19 08:46:33

Dogs need time to run off lead to prevent health issues

No they don't, they can be on a canicross lead.

havingtochangeusernameagain Wed 10-Apr-19 08:45:18

Most public spaces have 'keep your dog on a lead' notices, but you're too blinkered to see them

Oh they seem them all right, they just ignore them. There was a item on Countryfile on Sunday about the problems dogs cause in the national parks to livestock when they are off lead and I said to DH they should just have a blanket rule that all dogs should on short leads in national parks. But DH pointed out that the entitled types would ignore it, and it can't be enforced.

Lifeover Wed 10-Apr-19 08:44:10

@flobochin glad you would try and avoid me I doubt I would enjoy your aggressive self centred personality. My dog would likely ignore yours she tends to keep herself to herself. Unfortunately most footpaths have walkers on them. Since the enclosure act areas of common land tend to be in short supply. Maybe you would be happy if I only walked at midnight in the middle of Dartmoor first ensuring there’s no one within a 50 mile radius’s Dogs need time to run off lead to prevent health issues as a dog owner I would expect you to know that, if you don’t please educate yourself. My dog has great recall so what’s the issue? Are you afraid to let your dog off lead because she’s poorly trained?

FYI when it states dogs should be on leads mine is.

In your position I would seriously be questioning whether you should have a dog.

IamMoana Wed 10-Apr-19 08:43:14

I'm all for dogs on beaches as long as they have good recall. Recent visit to local beach resulted in my husband sitting in a huge pile of dog mess, all over his jeans and even though we got most of it off he stank for the rest of the day. And we also seem to attract the dog that's in the sea, runs half the length of the beach to us and proceeds to shake itself all over us, then runs away again. So we are soaked. What's with that? Owner yelling half heartedly for the dog to come back with no joy. I've got no clue how teaching recall works, but that seems like half the problem sometimes. There's room for everyone, with a little courtesy and understand.

Leeeeemon36 Wed 10-Apr-19 08:12:01

Haven’t read the full thread. Both DC are terrified of dogs due to landing many times face down on the ground when “ only just being friendly” dog has jumped on them knocking them over.

I don’t have a problem with dogs only with very inconsiderate owners who get arsey back if I ask them (still politely) to take their dog away from my kids. Then I stop being polite and tirade of “ my dog is ENTITLED to walk in here” and “teach your kids how to be around the dogs” starts.

Flobochin Wed 10-Apr-19 08:01:28

@Lifeover

You're a dog owner I try to avoid.

Arrogant and thinks everyone loves their dog .

I'm sick of unleashed dogs running up to mine and frightening them.

Walk your dog on a common or a field where there are no other people. It's not rocket science.

Most public spaces have 'keep your dog on a lead' notices, but you're too blinkered to see them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »