Talk

Advanced search

New neighbour told out to shut up in a unfriendly manner!

(375 Posts)
JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:44:45

Hi, so we have new people behind us. Our gardens are quite long but back onto each other. I haven’t seen much of them yet. They don’t seem to be home much and I don’t like talking over the fence.

Today, we were out for a couple hours and came home. I let our dog out as I always do, she’s a Jack Russell, she can be pretty yappy at times (mainly when she sees people rather than dogs) but she’s never let out too early or too late so doesn’t disturb the neighbours and she’s never left outside barking for long. If she barks we call her in. There are dogs in most houses around here. She ran straight up to the back fence which I thought was odd and started barking - new neighbor and his dog doing something at the back of their garden by the looks of i at first glance. I couldn’t see them very well behind the tall fence and behind the trampoline so he probably couldn’t see me by my back door. Anyway, my dog starts to bark (she wouldn’t hurt a fly, just a bit annoying at times but his dog didn’t bark back). I put my shoes back on to call her over but I heard the new neighbour telling my dog to shut the f**k up just as I was about to call her. I called her back and neighbour must of realised I was there and heard him. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t talking to his dog as the dog hadn’t reacted (it’s geeat he has such a well behaved dog).

Now, I’m not easily offended, far from it. I didn’t think much of it at the time as I was busy but now I’ve come to think of it’s rid quite rude.

Yes my dog can bark at times but she’s never left out to bark. She doesn’t go out early, or too late and she doesn’t bark indoors or anything. Just around new people as she’s more nervous of people than dogs. If it was just the dog she would of been fine!

Aibu to think he was being rude? I’m not the type of person to ever bring this up with them but I’m worried what they will think of us. Often in the summer, the dog and D.C. run around the garden having fun. They will probably hate us 😂

jillybeanclevertips Wed 10-Apr-19 12:05:47

Drop a card intheir mail box, explaining just as you did to us, confirming that you try not to let your dogs barking become annoying, and if they find it is, to let you know. Invite them around for coffee or something. Hold out the hand of friendship, and then you know you've done you bit.

Bignosenobum Wed 10-Apr-19 12:17:48

I think saying that is uncalled for. Swearing can be heard by children. The fact he told your dog to shut up is ok. I would be more upset by the fact the neighbiur utilises this type of rough language. Meaning wider implications of the type of person he is. Have 2 dogs , one a terrier and they still bark even after training..They are protecting you and your property. I do find barking annoying.

Bignosenobum Wed 10-Apr-19 12:19:23

The advice from the tog trainer is good. I will try it

Purpletigers Wed 10-Apr-19 12:20:24

Dogs barking are incredibly annoying for some people more than others . I couldn’t live next to someone with barking dogs , it would drive me insane . You have the right to be annoyed , he has the right to not give a shit .

storm11111 Wed 10-Apr-19 12:20:42

You're upset because somebody was rude to your dog LOL

Bignosenobum Wed 10-Apr-19 12:22:39

ps we have just moved away from people who left their dog in the garden, all day to bark.
The relief of moving was indescribable, after 2 years.The peace is wonderful .

Purpletigers Wed 10-Apr-19 12:36:11

And people can swear in their own garden if they want . You don’t have to like it . Sometimes the only word that works starts with f !

KarmaStar Wed 10-Apr-19 12:36:23

Getting upset over a non event op.

Awhoosh Thu 11-Apr-19 09:22:45

YANBU. If I was the neighbour I would be thinking “oh no! Yappy dog next door!” and be worried. I definitely wouldn’t be happy if I thought I was going to be living next to a noisy dog. BUT I wouldn’t shout that after 20 seconds. Hopefully your neighbour was just stressed out rather than aggressive.

It’s perfectly reasonable to be upset by what someone says to your dog / child / whatever - it doesn’t mean your dog has to be offended, whatever some of the Replies say confused

BrokenWing Thu 11-Apr-19 11:53:09

Everyone should be able to step out into their garden without a dog running towards and barking directly at them a couple of feet away.

It is beyond selfish to think otherwise. Untrained dogs get a huge sense of satisfaction from barking and wont stop without significant training effort. Get advice from a professional trainer and only take out in the garden on a lead until trained etc.

longwayoff Thu 11-Apr-19 12:30:16

It is not rude to swear at a neighbour's barking dog. Ever. I have a small shouty dog which tears outside into garden yelling his head off. Briefly but bad enough. Nobody should have to put up with it.

JK2012 Thu 11-Apr-19 19:37:27

I totally get what everyone of you is saying about not wanting to live next door to a noisy dog. She can be yappy when she sees somebody but it really isn’t a constant problem.

She’s never left out to bark, never. She annoys the crap out of me when she barks so I call her straight in and she stops. She’s never left out unattended, never outside when we are out. She has the free run of kitchen and hallway where she can’t really see or sense anything to bark because our windows are high up with nothing she’s able to jump on to get up.

She will run about outside for quite a while without barking most days.

I just felt it wasn’t uncalled for, to sweat. She’s barked at him once (first time she’s seen the guy up close, he was on the boundary between the fence and she probably felt nervous). She doesn’t bark if they are down by their own patio doors because it’s quite far down and she doesn’t bat en eyelid! But bearing in mind he was close to her ‘territory’.

I bought my house 5-6 years ago and not on bad terms with any of my neighbours and I don’t intend to be now!

TowerRavenSeven Thu 11-Apr-19 19:46:01

Are you my neighbour? I told one just the other day to shut the f**k up!

cabcab Thu 11-Apr-19 19:47:50

OP is irritating and he wasn't in your dogs territory he was in HIS garden. He's making it clear he won't listen to your sometimes yappy dog. Accept it?

GlitterPixie Thu 11-Apr-19 19:49:23

I shout at the neighbors constantly constantly barking dog and sometimes even scream out of sheer frustration

Whoops75 Thu 11-Apr-19 20:03:52

OP: AIBU?
Everybody: YABU
OP: IANBU

Constantly using laughing emojis doesn’t make it funnyhmm

shesgrownhorns Thu 11-Apr-19 20:29:26

My ndn shouted at my dog the other night. I thought they were being VERY unreasonable and here's why: I have had to move my daughter to a room that's not adjacent to their over excitable son. He has ADHD and gets carried away on his computer game. My dd then can't sleep and has had to move into her sister's room. AIBU to be pissed off at their overreaction to my dog? I think so smile

If they'd told my dog to stfu though they'd get short shrift from me! That's BU

FaFoutis Thu 11-Apr-19 20:40:30

Every time your neighbour goes into his garden he will now expect to be barked at. Don't minimise the effect of this.

user1483992574 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:48:47

Of course they can! I tell my dog to sit and he sits ! I say it in English

Yabbers Sat 13-Apr-19 00:52:52

Are you my neighbour?

When I shout "shut that bloody dog up" its because every damned time it goes out, it barks. And when it's four or five times a day, at times you think it's not too late or early, you are wrong.

Five years we've had this now and the owners just say the dogs name and it stops for a few minutes. Then starts again. Finally after about four or five times they bring it in.

I have been round a few times when we moved in and asked them really nicely, explaining why it's a problem. They always promised to do something about it but never have.

You might think you can't do anything about it but we have dozens of dog owners round here yet only one does this. Train your dog and don't make out your neighbours are in the wrong.

Yabbers Sat 13-Apr-19 01:06:55

and j am 99 percent sure she doesn’t bark when we are out

How can you possibly know this?

My old neighbour swore blind his dog didn't bark when he was out.

I played him a video of his dog, standing at the window barking. As it did literally all day until he got home. It was a sad, soulful bark. He was mortified.

MarthasGinYard Sat 13-Apr-19 01:16:35

Ugh I once lived next door to a yappy Jack Russell

This thread has bought back really bad memories

MyNameIsFartacus Sat 13-Apr-19 05:40:49

My neighbour has a yappy little bastard of a Yorkie who drives me bonkers, I often work nights and need to sleep during the day and even with ear plugs in I can hear him. Even if just let out to wee he yaps, he yaps basically for the ENTIRE time he is in the garden. Neighbours on the other side (we're all mid terrace) just bought a shitzu puppy, FML. I am a dog owner, my dog does one well behaved woof and that's it.
Yabu

NewMum19344567 Sat 13-Apr-19 05:58:52

I remember I relaxed in my garden for years then when my neighbour bought a dog it barked at the fence so much my dog started. It meant I never went outside in the garden as her dog was such a Barker and she would leave him for (imo) too long whereas I was always the one yanking my dog away when he didn't start it! I swore ALOT, usually in the house to my husband but if she heard I can't say I care blush honestly she may have thought it was a few barks but it ruined my garden for years as we couldn't relax without her dog scratching and barking and working my dog up. (There was a dog on the other side we were fine with so it's not that I'm blind to the fact my dog was the problem)

s0ckswithsandals Sun 14-Apr-19 22:55:11

I really really hate entitled dog owners like you. You've asked if YABU you've been told yes you are and you won't accept it. Either shut your yappy dog up or put up with other people telling it to shut the fuck up. Which is a perfectly reasonable response to a dog that's barking at someone in their own garden.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »