Talk

Advanced search

New neighbour told out to shut up in a unfriendly manner!

(375 Posts)
JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:44:45

Hi, so we have new people behind us. Our gardens are quite long but back onto each other. I haven’t seen much of them yet. They don’t seem to be home much and I don’t like talking over the fence.

Today, we were out for a couple hours and came home. I let our dog out as I always do, she’s a Jack Russell, she can be pretty yappy at times (mainly when she sees people rather than dogs) but she’s never let out too early or too late so doesn’t disturb the neighbours and she’s never left outside barking for long. If she barks we call her in. There are dogs in most houses around here. She ran straight up to the back fence which I thought was odd and started barking - new neighbor and his dog doing something at the back of their garden by the looks of i at first glance. I couldn’t see them very well behind the tall fence and behind the trampoline so he probably couldn’t see me by my back door. Anyway, my dog starts to bark (she wouldn’t hurt a fly, just a bit annoying at times but his dog didn’t bark back). I put my shoes back on to call her over but I heard the new neighbour telling my dog to shut the f**k up just as I was about to call her. I called her back and neighbour must of realised I was there and heard him. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t talking to his dog as the dog hadn’t reacted (it’s geeat he has such a well behaved dog).

Now, I’m not easily offended, far from it. I didn’t think much of it at the time as I was busy but now I’ve come to think of it’s rid quite rude.

Yes my dog can bark at times but she’s never left out to bark. She doesn’t go out early, or too late and she doesn’t bark indoors or anything. Just around new people as she’s more nervous of people than dogs. If it was just the dog she would of been fine!

Aibu to think he was being rude? I’m not the type of person to ever bring this up with them but I’m worried what they will think of us. Often in the summer, the dog and D.C. run around the garden having fun. They will probably hate us 😂

HarrysOwl Mon 08-Apr-19 18:48:18

You may not find the sound of your dog barking hellishly annoying, but the rest of the world does.

Wolfiefan Mon 08-Apr-19 18:49:45

If your dog is barking in your garden then they already hate you. hmm

Chocolateisfab Mon 08-Apr-19 18:50:25

Your idea of never too early may be very different to theirs..
Dog's barking gives me The Rage.
And I say that as a dog owner of 4...

SmallFastPenguin Mon 08-Apr-19 18:52:29

I think you are over thinking it, some people just express themselves a lot more rudely. He probably doesn't mean anything much by it.

PunkrockerGirl59 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:52:48

"shut the fuck up" is exactly what I'd be thinking tbf.

IWantMyHatBack Mon 08-Apr-19 18:54:11

I have to restrain myself from yelling at next doors yappy little fucker every time its let out in the garden

SandAndSea Mon 08-Apr-19 18:54:35

I can only speak for myself (obviously) but, imo, there is nothing fun about a neighbour's JR barking. Literally nothing.

You might think it doesn't go on for long, but when it starts, your neighbours don't know how long it's going on for.

Then it stops. (They think, "Thank God for that!")

Then it starts again.

And again.

Some of us just want to enjoy our homes in relative peace. (Your neighbour understands that - he's trained his dog.)

Please, Jack Russell owners, train your dog!

elessar Mon 08-Apr-19 18:55:47

It's not rude, he wasn't shouting it at you.

Dogs barking is bloody annoying, even if it's not 'for long'. Just carry on trying to manage your dog's behaviour to avoid her barking, and maybe call over a friendly apology if she does it again when he's out there.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 18:55:57

I tell my neighbours dog to shut the fuck up all the time. 1) the dog hasn’t a clue what I’m saying 2) he really should shut the fuck up.

You have a barking dog, you are the problem in this scenario. Either train your dog not to bark (it is very possible) or accept the neighbours will tell him to be quiet. It’s really inconsiderate to keep a dog that barks.

learningcurvy Mon 08-Apr-19 18:55:55

My dh has 2 Jack Russell when I met him. Omg their incessant yapping is soooo annoying. They don’t really have much of a bark but an annoying yap and when something gets to them they really go for it.

When we moved out of our parents home it was his dogs that made me check my neighbours didn’t have dogs.

Janedoughnut Mon 08-Apr-19 18:56:03

He might have been worried that it's going to bark every time he goes in his garden.

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 18:57:18

I don't mean to sound prejudice to small dogs but...

There is barking, and then there is yappy barking.
I live in a road full of Jack Russell Terriers, Yorkies, and Chihuahuas. I have got used to it now but when I first moved here it irritated me as their version of not barking a lot and my version are probably different. And I'm a dog owner.
So if he is new he is probably getting used to hearing it, especially if his dog doesn't bark too often.

I wouldn't say he was being rude at all as he didn't even know you were there before saying it. He might have been having a bad day and thought 'will I not be able to go in to my garden without getting barked at' or something. I wouldn't hold this against him at all. You could actually use the common ground of dogs to get to know him.

Chocolateisfab Mon 08-Apr-19 18:57:42

My ndn used to let her ddog out at 630 every day.
A few days of 'shut that bloody ddog up' did the trick.
Yabu and a nuisance neighbour...

Didiplanthis Mon 08-Apr-19 18:58:31

My neighbours yappy dogs drove us nuts. Is wasn't early or late but it was unpredictable and frequent. And it was dreadful. I can assure you I thought far worse than stfu....

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 18:58:35

Your neighbour should be able to use his garden without your dog barking at his presence.

My neighbours dog barks every time I go to my bin/car/shed/electric cupboard. It gets really tiresome really quickly. I shouldn’t get barked at for using my own garden.

Auramigraine Mon 08-Apr-19 18:58:50

I don’t think they were rude at all.....

Dog barking can be the most annoying thing to have from your neighbours and until you put up with it and on a daily basis you wouldn’t understand, and I say this as a dog lover.

PineapplePatty Mon 08-Apr-19 18:59:13

He told your dog to shut the fuck up, not you.

I can't blame him. Happy digs are a PITA

ghostyslovesheets Mon 08-Apr-19 18:59:33

you are being a bit precious - he told your dog to shut the fuck up not you - he didn't see you

yappy dogs are irritating - I live next door to two - I'm sure their owners also think they are quiet all day!

I mutter the same words under my breath a lot!

PineapplePatty Mon 08-Apr-19 18:59:44

*Yappy dogs. Not happy digs.

LordPickle Mon 08-Apr-19 19:00:25

I have a lovely neighbour that I absolutely despise because she lets her shitty yapping dog out early in the morning and late at night and it always wakes us all up. YABU OP. Barking dogs fucking suck.

whitesoxx Mon 08-Apr-19 19:00:29

Next door has them. Yap yap yap. YABU for your annoying choice of dog

HarrysOwl Mon 08-Apr-19 19:01:14

I shouldn’t get barked at for using my own garden.

Exactly! And your neighbour's dog didn't even bark back - you should apologise to them and ask for training tips.

AgentProvocateur Mon 08-Apr-19 19:01:41

A yappy dog next door was the reason I moved house. Drove me to the edge of insanity.

nokidshere Mon 08-Apr-19 19:01:43

I've told lots of dogs to shut the fuck up. Sometimes from my bedroom window in the middle of the night blush

Dog owners seriously underestimate how much their dogs bark and I have no idea how anyone can be inside a house whilst their dog is yapping it's head off outside and do nothing about it. Some people should not be allowed to keep dogs.

BloodyDisgrace Mon 08-Apr-19 19:02:28

He didn't say it to you but to the dog. Is the dog sufficiently offended?

I'm a cat person and we have a yappy small dog next door. It bursts at seems if it's in the garden when I come to my shed, but I know she is a pissy little thing, brain small, and it gives her joy - so let her bark, I sometimes even talk to her.

Often in the summer, the dog and D.C. run around the garden having fun - I'd suggest the fun had a quiet section as well.

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 19:02:32

Yappy dogs. Not happy digs

I prefer happy digs grin

Aquamarine1029 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:03:08

Jack Russell's are infamous for their yapping, and it is enough to drive people fucking insane. I once had a neighbour who had one and they were completely oblivious as to how much the dog actually barked. It was a nightmare. I think you really need to work on properly socializing your dog.

MrBrown Mon 08-Apr-19 19:03:24

Doesn't matter what time of the day is it, dog barking is always annoying.

JustAWaferThinMint Mon 08-Apr-19 19:04:08

Was your dog offended? After all, it was the fucking annoying yapper that rightly got told to fuck off. Jack Russells have the most annoying bark of all breeds.

AnnieMay100 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:04:45

I feel for him, he’s just moved in and the neighbours dog is yapping, I’d say the same as I have done many times to neighbours yappy creature who has yapped constantly for 2 years. You might be fine with the barking but no one else is and it’s your responsibility to train your dog to behave.

ReadMyLipss Mon 08-Apr-19 19:05:01

So you're offended on your dog's behalf?

I wish I had so little in my life to get offended by.

multiplemum3 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:05:24

You're offended that someone told your annoying as fuck dog to shut up?

TallulahBetty Mon 08-Apr-19 19:05:32

Your dog is fucking annoying. HTH

Justmuddlingalong Mon 08-Apr-19 19:06:31

He was restrained in that he told your dog to shut the fuck up. My previous neighbour's yap bag of a dog barked constantly. I roared over the fence for her to shut that fucking dog up.
I think it's good to air your grievances. Then everyone knows where they stand.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:06:52

Jack Russell's are infamous for their yapping

They’re called yap Russell’s in this house! grin

Raspberry88 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:06:57

Oh God, YAB so U. Barking is unbearably annoying. It might not seem to bad to you but it really is.

Auramigraine Mon 08-Apr-19 19:07:04

‘Your dog is fucking annoying. HTH’

😂😂😂😂😂😂

FluffyBumps Mon 08-Apr-19 19:07:56

The fact you have a dog should not impact ANYONE at ANY TIME of the day or night.

I live by a yappy small dog who belongs to a lovely friendly couple. Everyone I arrive home their dog barks and yaps. Not for long but by god it fucks me off. I've had dogs in the past and consider myself quite tolerant but the yap yap yap for 45 seconds or so every time anyone comes or goes from our house is very very annoying.

We lived opposite a jack russel about 5 years ago. Again, nice enough neighbours but like you absolutely no idea how much their dogs yapping pissed the neighbours off. I don't think anyone ever said anything yo the owners but it was a known annoyance amongst the whole street.

Dogs don't need to bark early late or all day long to piss neighbours off. Just a few times a day for a few seconds can become annoying. Just because no one has ever complained you cannot assume it's not a nuisance.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I can't have a dog at the moment as our lifestyle wouldn't suit one. I love dogs but get really annoyed so one else's pet can impact on me.

Janleverton Mon 08-Apr-19 19:08:03

My neighbours have a jack russell. He’s about 5 now and still barks every bloody time I or the dc go into the garden. And at pigeons. And birds. Neighbours do an ineffectual “billy, billy, quiet” but usually seem to let him bark for a few minutes before taking him inside. Frankly, while I appreciate that the actual amount of time the dog is barking for is quite short, it has had a big impact on the enjoyment of my garden. It’s like every time I do anything, weed, mow the grass, walk in it, it’s met by small dog yapping up and down the fence.

Janleverton Mon 08-Apr-19 19:08:52

Barks if we happen to leave the house at the same time. Barks if we walk past the front window (on public pavement). Sigh.

HoneysuckIejasmine Mon 08-Apr-19 19:09:04

Argh! I lived next door to yappy dogs. I couldn't even open the bloody back door without getting constantly barked at. All whilst the neighbour pathetically called her dog to no fucking avail. Could hear them barking through the walk from about 6am. Was so relieved when they moved. I liked the neighbour but as she got more dogs and they were so poorly trained, I made no secret that I hated them.

SandAndSea Mon 08-Apr-19 19:09:24

Maybe you could make 'training the dog not to bark' the new, fun game for the children?

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 19:10:10

They’re called yap Russell’s in this house!

I can't even share what somebody I met the other day called one because its so ridiculously un-PC. We mostly refer to them as 'those fucking dogs' (about a specific couple a little way down that everyone can hear at all times). My dog just tilts his head like he is asking them what they are on about.

NaomifromMilkshake Mon 08-Apr-19 19:11:54

ReadMyLips grin

You have just made me spray wine

Leeds2 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:11:54

I hope you have got the message, OP! Your poor neighbour has probably had enough.

Shortandsweet96 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:12:38

My house backs onto the garden of someone with 3 Jack Russell's.

They are constantly outside and they are constantly barking. It is never peaceful. I do hate that set of neighbours.

I have a one year old chihuahua (yappy breed) but we took him to puppy training classes and cut out the unnecessary barking. He hardly ever barks now unless we wind him up. Even then us one or all barks then he shuts up.

Train your dog not to constantly yap.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:13:06

My dog just tilts his head like he is asking them what they are on about.

grin my cats do this at neighbours dog. And yes he barks at them too. But they are also in their own garden.

JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:14:40

She barked for about 20 seconds before I called her over to come in! Not like I left her out there to do bark is it 😂

She doesn’t excessively bark at dogs or anything, just people. If I see my neighbours outside, I don’t let her out but I didn’t see him at the end of the garden! Jeeezzz...

saraclara Mon 08-Apr-19 19:16:24

Your idea of 'not for long' is guaranteed to be very different from any neighbour's idea of it.

My friends let their yappy dog out in their garden, and even in the few minutes she's out, the noise drives me nuts. Meanwhile my friends smile indulgently and say how much she loves playing in the garden. I don't know how their neighbours stand it.

JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:17:05

May I add, my son was also in the garden when he swore. He might not of seen me but my son was out there and heard it as well! Swearing in front of a child...

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 19:17:22

I think the way to try and look at this OP is to put on a doggy mindset. I sound like I am taking the piss, but I'm not. If this really bothered you enough to post about then it's worth a go - teach your dog not to bark and learn not to hang on to these things.

My dog absolutely loves life and doesn't get offended. He sees something a bit weird and thinks 'woah, that's weird' and then about 5 seconds later he goes 'wow a fucking butterfly that's the best thing I have ever seen, best day of my life'.

Whenever I get annoyed I take my dog for a walk and realise how absolutely amazing they think the world is and then it's hard to stay annoyed. Because you could be having a really shit day but oh my god, a flower, amazing.

Janleverton Mon 08-Apr-19 19:18:50

How was he to know that within 20 seconds the dog would stop barking since at the point he told said dog to shut the fuck up, the dog hadn’t been stopped by you?

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 19:18:56

May I add, my son was also in the garden when he swore. He might not of seen me but my son was out there and heard it as well! Swearing in front of a child...

You just said he didn't know you were there so how would have have known your kid was either. Either way - he can say what he wants - he was in his own garden and wasn't talking to either of you.

AirBiscuit Mon 08-Apr-19 19:19:06

I think if there was some fucking yappy jack russell barking away at the end of my garden then my language would be fruity as well

SmileEachDay Mon 08-Apr-19 19:19:53

He swore at your dog - not at you - at your dog

You do know dogs can’t understand English, right?

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:20:44

She barked for about 20 seconds before I called her over to come in!

Doesn’t matter. Would you tolerate someone aggressively swearing at you over your garden fence for 20 seconds just because you dared to be in your own garden? I highly doubt it. I reckon you’d have something to say about that. Yapping dogs are the same. They’re basically telling the person they’re barking at to fuck off out of “their” (the dog’s) territory. They think it’s their space and they are telling people to get out. Your dog is poorly trained and barb mannered. And he was called on it wink

formerbabe Mon 08-Apr-19 19:21:12

I regularly mutter under my breath "shut the fuck up" when I hear ndn barking dogs...can't help it grin

UrsulaPandress Mon 08-Apr-19 19:21:14

I was only thinking today that I could never have a small dog as I can’t stand the yapping.

Is your dog easily offended?

GabriellaMontez Mon 08-Apr-19 19:22:12

I can't think of a more appropriate thing to say to a barking jr

abbey44 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:23:15

I get that dogs barking is annoying. I have one of my own, and she does at times, though it's not a little dog yap. But if there's someone at the gate, or walking past the fence at the end of the garden, yes, she barks.

For those who are saying it's easy to train them not to, please share your secrets with the rest of us. I'm sure our neighbours would be very grateful.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:23:22

Bad mannered! But barb sounds appropriate grin

Bringbackthestripes Mon 08-Apr-19 19:26:17

She barked for about 20 seconds before I called her over to come in!

Doesn’t matter how long it was. She went right over to the fence and started yapping at him, his dog never woofed!

We now have a yapping dog at the back of us, the first second it starts I think FFS!

Every time I hang my washing out or open a window or sit in the garden or step outside YAP.YAP.YAP FUCKING YAP.

People who have dogs that yap are rude.

AnnieMay100 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:26:37

Yabu and sound entitled tbh I think you need to apologise to the neighbour and explain how you’ll stop the dog barking at them whenever they use their garden or you’ll end up with far bigger problems

Hazlenutpie Mon 08-Apr-19 19:26:46

A yappy Jack Russell is my idea of hell on legs.

JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:27:05

I can assure everyone I am not a terrible dog owner who lets my dog bark and always calls her in. She’s never left outside when we are out, ever. She doesn’t bark inside the house, well unless the door knocks and that’s only the postman who loves her anyway as he’s known her since a pup. Never at night, or early morning. She’s a sweet thing who has never hurt a fly, just nervous of new people. She doesn’t react to dogs. If it was just the dog in the garden, she wouldn’t of barked.

Every house around here has a dog. My neighbour has five, with no issues with us, another has a terrier type and one family who’s garden slightly backs onto us has a jack Russel amongst all the others in the distance. There is always dogs barking, more so than mine!

BasilBrushes Mon 08-Apr-19 19:27:32

DS wants a small dog. He isn’t getting one because of the annoying yapping.

I don’t think your dog was offended.

eggsandwich Mon 08-Apr-19 19:28:21

Your not my neighbour are you? One of our neighbour’s to the side of us has a jack russell, to be fair the lady always calls the dog in when he starts barking, but whenever I’m in the garden it does nothing but bark and I’ve told it to shut up a few times as well.

We’re surrounded by dogs but the others I don’t hear much off them just the jack russell, I don’t know if they usually bark alot as a breed but does grate on me after a while.

qazxc Mon 08-Apr-19 19:28:50

Yappy dogs set my teeth on edge, and twenty seconds would seem like a long time.
He didn't know you where there, and as PP's have said it'snot like the dog can understand.
It's also unclear that he would have known that your DS was there too. I don't know how old DS is, but could he not have stopped the dog from barking or brought him back inside as soon as he started barking?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 08-Apr-19 19:29:07

Corrr !
I think this is an AIBU "Yes You Are" Full House!

I often curse NDN dog , he doesn't listen, I;m sure he Not A Monkeys Gives.

It makes me feel a 100% better anyway .

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:29:26

There is always dogs barking, more so than mine!

So are you saying he shouldn’t have addressed your dog that was actually barking at him because there are other dogs around who bark too? confused he just has to accept being barked at?

SoupDragon Mon 08-Apr-19 19:29:56

20 seconds is actually a long time for fucking yapping. Next door's dog has a horrible yappy terrier bark. My dog likes to stand in silence and watch him yapping away. The neighbours very rarely stop the fucking thing.

FizzyGreenWater Mon 08-Apr-19 19:30:11

Get a less annoying dog?

Sorry OP but you are getting a roasting on here partly because of all the dogs in the world, Jack Russells are the ones most people would just love to fucking slap! They are absolute little shits without exception grin

megrichardson Mon 08-Apr-19 19:30:24

Thank you for this thread, OP, it is a timely reminder to check that there are no dogs owned by neighbours in the vicinity when I am viewing houses next. The sound of a barking/yapping dog is sheer hell.

SoupDragon Mon 08-Apr-19 19:31:45

If it was just the dog in the garden, she wouldn’t of barked.

So, the neighbours are at fault for being human and in their garden?

NaturalBornWoman Mon 08-Apr-19 19:32:00

There's a dog in the garden next to the bottom end of ours and it barks if we go down there. Sometimes it's sudden and makes me jump. I always tell it to shut up, usually call it horrible or obnoxious, and speak loudly so that the owner can hear. Don't let your dog bark at your neighbours who are in their own garden. It's not acceptable.

Justmuddlingalong Mon 08-Apr-19 19:32:22

I think possibly your new neighbour did know you were there. Regardless of if he knew or not, you have been made aware that your dog barking is irritating to him.

IncrediblySadToo Mon 08-Apr-19 19:33:47

The neighbours have a Jack Russel. The inconsiderate bastards installed a cat flap so it comes and goes as it pleases all day and ALL night. It yaps and yaps and yaps but they don’t call it in. They can be in the garden with the fucking thing yapping...

I don’t mind a DOG having a BARK if someone walks past or they see a bird flying over or whatever, but holy fuck these pint size yappers are a nightmare

I do loudly tell him to ‘Lie down’ or ‘Be quiet’ or whatever and it’s ONLY out of consideration for the other neighbours with young children that I don’t tell him to ‘Shut the fuck up you little twat’.

It pisses me off we can’t set foot in OUR garden without him yapping like a demented thing.

OP I appreciate you are NOT them and it sounds like you are much more considerate 🌷 but you might be able to do a wee bit more so he’s not yapping at all.

HarrysOwl Mon 08-Apr-19 19:34:08

She doesn’t react to dogs. If it was just the dog in the garden, she wouldn’t of barked

How very dare your neighbour, a human, be in his own garden to get barked at! Clearly his own fault hmm

Slicedpineapple Mon 08-Apr-19 19:35:23

There's a unanimous YABU on this thread OP. It doesn't matter what your dog normally does, on this occasion it stood at a fence barking at a neighbour and he told it to shut up in one way or another. I really wouldn't let it get under your skin.

Lalliella Mon 08-Apr-19 19:35:27

PFD does need to shut the fuck up. Sadly it can’t understand English so is unlikely to be offended by the swearing. So you need to make it shut the fuck up.

JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:36:12

I am aware jack Russell’s can be yappy but they are wonderful loyal dogs too. Ours has never hurt a fly, she is friendly, but nervous with new people. She is so affectionate, a proper lap dog and very tolerant of D.C.. she has never been aggressive. The barking is more of a nervous/scared bark or when she’s really excited!

If there are no people around she will go out and play in the garden for ages without a single bark or yap and just chill in the sun. She’s not all that bad 😂

AlexaAmbidextra Mon 08-Apr-19 19:36:54

Often in the summer, the dog and D.C. run around the garden having fun.

I assume that ‘having fun’ in this instance is child shouting and dog yapping. They don’t run around ‘having fun’ silently do they? Having fun = intrusive noise I suspect. hmm

spaniorita Mon 08-Apr-19 19:38:01

It doesn't matter what time of day a dog barks, it is irritating.

Justmuddlingalong Mon 08-Apr-19 19:38:17

Your neighbour doesn't know all that. Or care.

DIZZYTIGGER87 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:38:51

As a long time dog owner, I never really thought about dogs that bark (none of ours ever have, more through luck then any specific training, although we do go for bigger breeds so not the happy sort). Then NDN moved in 3 years ago, and my god I have never hated dogs the way I hate them due to their barking.

The NDN is pretty close on the list for the shrill shouting at them to shut up and come inside...and the dogs ignore her so I have to deal with dogs and her...can't wait to move.

Iltavilli Mon 08-Apr-19 19:39:12

You’ve said about 5 times that your dog wouldn’t hurt a fly. Great! You’ve clearly given some training, so train it to shut the fuck up.

By repeating “she wouldn’t hurt a fly” you are spectacularly missing the point. Your neighbour isn’t scared of your dog he’s hugely pissed off at the noise it is making and your refusal to do anything about it.

Train her to be less nervous and to shut up.

From the owner of a dog that neither barks nor yaps.

Hazlenutpie Mon 08-Apr-19 19:39:17

I am aware jack Russell’s can be yappy but they are wonderful loyal dogs too

I don't give a flying fuck how cuddly your dog is, I just don't want to hear it barking. I say that as a dog owner.

RickJames Mon 08-Apr-19 19:39:26

Neighbour has a point. Mind, I say this as a person who owns a dog that would snarl, growl and bark all day if I let her. The odd time she barks consistently for a minute because I'm not able to get to that part of the garden, I don't stress. My neighbours on one side have a little girl that cried a good 10 hours a day aged 0-2 (I offered help btw. I don't know how Mrs neighbour didn't go utterly mad, it was murder) and the 2 little boys on the other side shout outside from 7-7 on average. Add in church bells and people sawing firewood or woodchipping; the neighbourhood can get quite noisy.
In your situation I would have probably said "you fuck off" as a joke and had a chat with him.
There has to be some give and take.

SoupDragon Mon 08-Apr-19 19:39:58

If there are no people around she will go out and play in the garden for ages without a single bark or yap and just chill in the sun. She’s not all that bad

She is that bad if people can't go in their garden without being yapped at.

HarrysOwl Mon 08-Apr-19 19:40:19

Ours has never hurt a fly, she is friendly

Amount that matters: 0.

Her barking will be annoying and a disturbance. No matter how cute she is.

MissConductUS Mon 08-Apr-19 19:40:54

This is one of many reasons we just have cats. I am really please none of our neighbors has dogs, or if they do, they aren't big barkers.

Go and have a talk with him about it.

Runbitchrun Mon 08-Apr-19 19:41:43

I have also snapped at my neighbour’s yappy dog through the fence. I’m a dog owner, but I can’t bear dogs barking outside (especially little yappy things).

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:42:15

I am aware jack Russell’s can be yappy but they are wonderful loyal dogs too.

How does it benefit your neighbour that your dog is loyal to you? confused why you are listing all their positive qualities as if that has any relevance here? It doesn’t. The only relevant thing is that your dog barked at someone standing minding his own business on his own property.

bebeboeuf Mon 08-Apr-19 19:42:26

I’m a dog person and have neighbours with all sorts of dogs.
Many are quiet and I wouldn’t know from sound alone they owned one.

We have a lovely next door neighbour that has no idea that each time their dog is let out it barks. They do it at a few set times in the day and it means that I actually have to coincide my child’s sleep routine around it as once one dog barks it sets other quiet neighbourhood ones off.

So annoying

They are moving soon though so just hope new neighbours are a little more thoughtful about the noise

RedPanda2 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:43:47

Yes YABU. I hope you alerted the village elders that soneone dared to swear in front of a child when they were in their own garden and allegedly couldn't see them anyway...

JemSynergy Mon 08-Apr-19 19:43:47

I have lived next to someone whose dog barked a lot. It is annoying and and at times I felt like telling it to STFU!

MaybeitsMaybelline Mon 08-Apr-19 19:45:50

I’ve told one of my neighbours dogs to STFU more than once. The other I told to get the fuck out of my garden when it came tearing through the hedge after one of my cats.

Must be a clever dog because it hasn’t done it again!

MrsBertBibby Mon 08-Apr-19 19:46:08

Sort your dog out before your neighbour's thoughts turn to poisoning it.

JK2012 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:46:17

I don’t let her out if the neighbours are outside chilling so I don’t let her be annoying. In fact I get quite embarrassed she barks and call her in straight away! I do call her in! She’s never barking for long at all!

My neighbours cat shits in our garden all the time. So I’m not keen on cats 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »