Talk

Advanced search

Aibu in thinking if you won the lottery you wouldn't tell anyone

(51 Posts)
Cupcakeicecream Mon 08-Apr-19 18:42:35

Just a fun thread really. In thinking that realistically if you won the lottery you shouldn't tell anyone as it would cause a load of problems. Or if you did win millions you would just minimise it and say y you had won a lower amount than you actually had.personally if I won the lottery i wouldn't tell anyone,maybe close family as I would probably give them some but I would probably say it was a lower amount than the real amount. Or if It were millions I'd probably just relocate.

TakenForSlanted Mon 08-Apr-19 18:44:01

I'd tell a tax consultant, though. grin

Siameasy Mon 08-Apr-19 18:45:01

Yanbu
I feel similar. I would down play it.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Mon 08-Apr-19 18:46:13

DHs childhood neighbour won the lottery eighteen months after his wife divorced him and left the children with him (no contact) for someone she'd had an affair with. I don't think he kept his win quiet...

magicstar1 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:47:23

If it was a couple of million I’d keep it quiet...but a couple of hundred million and I’d tell everyone- then move to my new exotic island

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 18:48:57

I expect if I won the lottery and announced it my Ex would suddenly have a burning desire to see our children. He’d probably go a size far as to insist on having them 60:40 so I had to pay him child support grin

Lockheart Mon 08-Apr-19 18:52:38

I'd never tell anyone beyond a legal team and family who would be receiving a share. It makes you an instant target once it's public. If not from those who would steal from you or threaten to harm your family then the constant harassment of 'friends' and strangers who only need a little for their sick relative / uni degree / business venture / dying wish etc etc etc

BloodyDisgrace Mon 08-Apr-19 18:54:29

I'd tell friends and offer to give them a gift of some sum. Who gets how much - that I'd keep to myself.

DonnaDarko Mon 08-Apr-19 18:55:08

I would only tell people i planned to gift some money too.

And my employer, in my resignation letter lol

OnlyFoolsnMothers Mon 08-Apr-19 18:56:01

It would be hard to keep quiet when I suddenly bought a mansion, an Aston Martin and quit work...I would never disclose the amount and would never go to the press though

HollowTalk Mon 08-Apr-19 18:56:32

You don't pay tax on lottery winnings here, though, TakenForSlanted.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Mon 08-Apr-19 18:57:39

Where i live part of the T&C on the back of the ticket is that if you have a big win you agree to a bit of publicity.

Some have been known to practically show up in a balaclava and the Big Cheque is just made out to 'Tim" grin

Lockheart Mon 08-Apr-19 19:00:26

amp.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/24vo34/whats_the_happiest_5word_sentence_you_could_hear/chb38xf

This is a really interesting read of what to do and what not to do if you win the lottery bigtime, and a few cautionary tales thrown in!

DDIJ Mon 08-Apr-19 19:00:49

You don't pay tax on lottery winnings here, though,TakenForSlanted.

But you might need help with tax planning confused

Cottonwood Mon 08-Apr-19 19:02:54

Would downplay totally, even to close people I wanted to help. People can be very odd around money as we all know.

WelcomeToShootingStars Mon 08-Apr-19 19:09:49

I wouldn't tell anyone.

ajandjjmum Mon 08-Apr-19 19:11:47

I always tell DH that I wouldn't even tell him! grin

SimonJT Mon 08-Apr-19 19:14:13

I don’t gamble, so a win is very unlikely!

I’m the ‘poor’ one in my friendship group, I think I probably would tell them, I wouldn’t tell my Dad as he would pressure me into giving him money.

ILoveMaxiBondi Mon 08-Apr-19 19:16:52

I definitely wouldn’t tell my children. grin

AwdBovril Mon 08-Apr-19 19:18:41

I used to know someone that had won a lot of money (a long time before I knew them). Quite sad actually, they'd suddenly "discovered" lots of long-lost friends & family, all with their hands out. They had to move. They did invest wisely, though, AFAIK.

Cottonwood Mon 08-Apr-19 19:20:07

I know someone who won £5 million, it's all gone now and caused a lot of upset.

lyralalala Mon 08-Apr-19 19:20:39

I'd say nothing for a short time until a smaller amount was won and would tell people I'd won that.

If you are mid 30s, have kids, win £2million then if you give a relative or friend 10k they'll be grateful and think it kind. If they knew you'd won the euromillions then no matter how much you give them some would think you tight.

A smaller win then live off the "investments" and everyone is happy.

bridgetosomewhere Mon 08-Apr-19 19:20:44

I would tell family and make sure they were set for life and help out a couple of friends but I wouldn't advertise it and would ask them not to divulge either.

I would probably stay in a similar type house to the one we own and although I would change cars etc they would be low key affairs so not to attract too much attention.

Holidays tho - we'd travel a lot! And I'd get a cleaner and a cook and maybe a babysitter!

Onceuponacheesecake Mon 08-Apr-19 19:25:16

I think I'd down play it to everyone. It would be between me and OH. None of our family are grabby and we'd want to help them out but news spreads and people talk. Not a chance in hell would I go public.

HoHoFuck Mon 08-Apr-19 19:25:51

I'd only tell my parents and brother. My relatives are the kind who are always moaning about money while secretly having hundreds of thousands in real estate, I have no doubt they'd all ask for their share.
The only relative I would share some money with is one of my aunt's, who took an early retirement up to become a carer for her mother, father and now brother. She's very selfless so I doubt she would accept a better home or car, but I would certainly try to make her life as comfortable as possible. Probably not mention it was a lottery win, though, as she's a terrible gossip.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »