Talk

Advanced search

to ask how Now TV works

(24 Posts)
WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 08-Apr-19 16:07:58

looking to get Now TV for the final season of GoT.

We have BT Vision at the mo, it's about to run out handily.

Will we get freeview with the now TV entertainment package?

When we leave BT Vision will we loose everything we've recorded?

Will we be able to get Netflix (we have this as an extra with BT Vision along with all the catch up stuff like Demand 5 and iPlayer.

I feel like an utter Luddite, I don't understand it at all and any help would be very much appreciated!

TIA

Youshallnotpass Mon 08-Apr-19 16:12:30

Now TV is a very similar service to Netflix. It is fully over the Internet so you will need a smart TV, Now TV box/stick or an Apple TV to be able to access it. Technically you can watch Now TV on a console (I think Xbox?) and also a PC/Laptop

You can't get Now TV with any of the Amazon streaming devices (competitor).

All of the above devices can stream Netflix too.

TwoBlueFish Mon 08-Apr-19 16:12:41

We have a Roku stick that we use for accessing NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime (also catch up for things like BBC). We also have a youview box then we use to record freeview channels.

No idea about BT vision, my guess is you will lose recordings from any premium channels.

LaurieMarlow Mon 08-Apr-19 16:25:03

Does the Now TV stick work in the same way as chromecast?

I.e. can I just plug it in my TV and control from an app?

FlopsyMopsyRabbit Mon 08-Apr-19 16:28:06

You don't get freeview with NOW TV unfortunately

Imoan123 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:33:15

I've got Now Tv, doesn't have Netflix on it and you will probably lose your recordings from your current provider. It has iplayer, itv, channel 4 & 5 plus YouTube, it also has sky channels like Atlantic and fox. It's like a catch up system where programmes could be available for 'x' amount of days/months.

PepperOnMyPaprikash Mon 08-Apr-19 17:10:19

So if you have a smart TV does it appear as an app on your screen (like Netflix and Amazon Prime) once you've subscribed?

Ambi Mon 08-Apr-19 17:17:01

Yes, you can get the app on your smart TV exactly the same as Netflix. Also on your tablet and phone and you can download a viewer for a PC too if you want.

LaurieMarlow Mon 08-Apr-19 17:19:25

Ambi, I don’t have a smart tv, but I have s chromecast. If i get the stick, would it work in the same way?

IWantMyHatBack Mon 08-Apr-19 17:23:50

Does the Now TV stick work in the same way as chromecast?

Yes. Stick plugs into the HDMI port on your TV, and the newer versions come with a remote. Mine was free in an offer recently.

It's separate from a Freeview-type subscription service. You can get things on demand, but it doesn't work in the same way as a Freeview service.

I have it alongside Freeview+ box (and Amazon prime. And Netflix. grin )

CatToddlerUprising Mon 08-Apr-19 17:24:11

You can keep your subscription to Netflix. You just add the app (for free) and log in with your usual Netflix details. We love our NowTV- we don’t watch live TV anymore and have cancelled the TV licence

LaurieMarlow Mon 08-Apr-19 17:27:14

Thanks iwant

Need to get one before Monday. V excited.

IWantMyHatBack Mon 08-Apr-19 17:29:03

They're sometimes free, have a Google for an offer

CatToddlerUprising Mon 08-Apr-19 17:31:30

www.nowtv.com/pass-bundles

Subscription offers. The 6 month one is really good value- 50% saving for entertainment and cinema

cardibach Mon 08-Apr-19 17:33:50

we don’t watch live TV anymore and have cancelled the TV licence Cat if you watch iPlayer you need a licence.

CatToddlerUprising Mon 08-Apr-19 18:18:22

We don’t watch iplayer 😊

EnolaAlone Mon 08-Apr-19 18:43:28

We use the Now TV app through our Xbox One to watch it on our TV. We also use the same login on our tablets. We usually have the entertainment, movies, kids and sports packages. It's pretty good for watching live Sky Sports.

Doyoumind Mon 08-Apr-19 18:50:24

If you have a smart tv you can watch Netflix through it but Now doesn't work on all smart tvs so you need to check whether you would need a stick or a box if it's not q compatible tv.

M4J4 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:56:20

The NOW TV Smart box Freeviee channels too.

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 08-Apr-19 19:16:48

Thanks everyone - I couldn’t see that this had posted.

See, we are so behind the times that we don’t have a smart TV (I think? What is it??] The Tv came with freebiew but we now watch it through BT vision so I suppose it might be there still in the TV. We don’t have any consoles.

I’ll have a look for offers.

So - in short, I pay for Now TV entertainment, plus I pay for Netflix separately (how? At the mo it’s added on to our BT vision bill) and somehow sort out freeview. Have I got that right?

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 08-Apr-19 19:20:58

So obviously the box is more expensive than the stick - my next question is can you record onto either the box or the stick?

IWantMyHatBack Mon 08-Apr-19 19:37:42

You need a Freeview plus box to be able to record (or something like virgin or bt)

Netflix, Amazon prime, now tv etc are all separate. Sometimes it can be added on to a TV subscription (like you have at the moment).

It might be easier to just keep the set up you have at the moment, but just but a now tv stick from argos with a entertainment pass, and just use that as long as you want. Best thing about services like now tv/prime is that if you can cancel them whenever you want

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Mon 08-Apr-19 21:00:04

Yes, I’ve just been in touch and I hadn’t realised you don’t sign a contract. So pretty much ready to go!

Thanks for everyone’s help.

M4J4 Tue 09-Apr-19 10:02:27

You don't need a smart TV. As long as your HDMI ports, you can connect Now TV stick in that.

And you can join Now TV or Netflix pretty easily by just going on their website and registering.

Make sure you don't get billed by BT anymore though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »