Talk

Advanced search

To assume this is my diamond?

(62 Posts)
Blueowls Mon 08-Apr-19 12:52:25

My engagement ring was a very simple one- a white gold band with a single little diamond. I think it only cost about £150 twenty years ago but that was a lot of money to us back then; I have adored it and would never have wanted to change or upgrade it.

5 years ago I noticed that the little diamond had fallen out somewhere in my bedroom. I had put it back on after a shower and been getting dressed and then saw a very sad looking empty ring. Searched the bedroom with a fine tooth comb at the time and kept a look out for a long time but never found it.

Fast forward to today. We are currently living in a furnished rental house overseas and while sorting through my clothes in my drawers what should I see sitting glinting at the bottom of a drawer- a tiny diamond! The same size as my lost diamond.

Is it my diamond though?! I suppose it's possible that the lost diamond got muddled in clothes or had fallen into the depths of a pocket or something but it also seems a bit unlikely that it's suddenly appeared in a random drawer 5 years later?? I can't be totally sure that it's a real diamond I have found and not a costume jewellery stone but it looks legit and the bottom of it looks as though it has previously been set in a ring.

Should I hand it over to the landlords and ask if previous tenants have lost one, or do I assume it's my lost one and have it placed in my old ring (which is currently in storage back in the UK)?

The stone itself isn't worth more than about £100 (at least that's the quote I got to replace it) but I'm sure it worth far more in sentimental value regardless of who it belonged to.

WWYD?

Ironymaiden Mon 08-Apr-19 12:55:12

I would say it’s probably your diamond. I love when something randomly appears again

RB68 Mon 08-Apr-19 12:57:21

take ring to jeweler and ask if its the right stone

mummmy2017 Mon 08-Apr-19 12:57:23

Pretty sure it is yours... Too much of a coincidence otherwise.
Bet it got caught in the hem of an outfit ..

BillywilliamV Mon 08-Apr-19 12:59:00

We had a whole diamond ring turn up in the lining of a bag after 5 years... does happen

Allfednonedead Mon 08-Apr-19 13:01:45

That’s not my diamond. Its faces are too shiny.

Blueowls Mon 08-Apr-19 13:02:27

Unfortunately the empty ring is back in the UK @RB68. I suppose I could check it when we go back home and post it to the landlord if it isn't the one from my ring.

The last tenants here moved out a year ago so if it belongs to them I guess waiting another month or two won't make much difference.

GooodMythicalMorning Mon 08-Apr-19 13:04:03

yeah, I reckon it's yours. take it and check it at home and if not post back.

Fishywife Mon 08-Apr-19 13:05:52

I vote it's your diamond that fell into a fold/hem and has eventually worked its way loose into the drawer. smile

Blueowls Mon 08-Apr-19 13:09:02

Wow I bet you were pleased to find that @BillywilliamV!

Just so strange that it should be sat staring at me from the bottom of a drawer in another country! Perhaps a PP is right and it was caught in a hem or a pocket or something. Very serendipitous if it is my stone.

Is there any simple way of telling whether a stone is a diamond or costume glass? Or would I need a jeweller?

DontCallMeCharlotte Mon 08-Apr-19 13:13:57

This might help...

www.capetowndiamondmuseum.org/blog/2017/01/how-to-tell-if-your-diamond-is-real-or-fake/

DerelictWreck Mon 08-Apr-19 13:19:17

That’s not my diamond. Its faces are too shiny.

grin grin grin

KitKat1985 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:19:26

I thin it's probably your diamond.

Last year my Mum found my Dad's wedding ring in a box in the garage, which he lost about 2 years prior. He died about a year after he lost the ring and my Mum was so emotional about finding his wedding ring. She wears it now as a necklace all the time.

polarpig Mon 08-Apr-19 13:19:56

I think it is probably yours.

Blueowls Mon 08-Apr-19 13:24:20

Oh @KitKat1985 that is so beautiful thanks

BlingLoving Mon 08-Apr-19 13:27:13

My mum found a diamond ring she'd lost 10 years before when she was cleaning the house when we moved out. Hilariously, if she wasn't one of those obsessive types who wouldn't move out of a sold house without doing the kind of deep clean usually reserved for sterile theatres, she'd never have found it!!

I think it's yours. Definitely.

CanIreallybebothered Mon 08-Apr-19 13:28:04

A friend once lost her grandma's ring when we were unloading a winter's worth of hay for our horses. There must have been several hundred bales. We all thought it was gone for good but many months later it was found!

Slatkater Mon 08-Apr-19 13:29:21

Yes, definitely yours.

Blueowls Mon 08-Apr-19 13:29:25

Thanks @DontCallMeCharlotte grin Just tried a few of the easier tests and it's still looking legit. Very nearly dropped it in the process so have put it away safely again now before I lose it again 😅

JessieMcJessie Mon 08-Apr-19 13:30:01

Do you have clothes with you overseas that you were wearing 5 years ago? If there is anything in that drawer which it is possible you might have been wearing around the time the diamond was lost, it is probably it...although pretty amazing if washed multiple times etc. If you were me there would be no chance because sadly I can’t fit into anything I owned 5 years ago grin.

itsinthetriforium Mon 08-Apr-19 13:30:23

I think it’s yours too. Take it home and see if it fits. If not you can hand it in.

JessieMcJessie Mon 08-Apr-19 13:31:37

CanIreally had it been through a horse when it was found? smile

LadyRannaldini Mon 08-Apr-19 13:31:41

Happened to me with an earring, I caught it in a blanket on the plane and it came out, we searched everywhere without success. To protect the piercing a bought another pair for the holiday but at the end of the three weeks I was packing and lifted out the shirt I'd worn on the plane and it fell out!
Glad you've found it.

Alsohuman Mon 08-Apr-19 13:32:09

It’s yours. How lovely that it’s turned up again.

ineedaknittedhat Mon 08-Apr-19 13:34:07

Diamonds aren't worth a great deal unless they're large and of very good clarity, cut etc. I don't think it would be wrong to assume it's yours and try to match it with your ring.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: