Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to really want to gloat at DH?

(24 Posts)
SisyphusHadItEasy Mon 08-Apr-19 00:41:03

Brief back story... DH has taken up the hobby of blade making/decorative iron work. I wholeheartedly support it, and most recent special occasion gifts for him have been related to his hobby.

I am studying Civil Engineering right now, and am taking an elective course (Warriorship and Honour - it matters). For the final assignment, we had the choice to write yet another essay, or do "something else". Since we have what is required to do it at home already, I figured "why not?" and was approved to make a sword for my assignment.

It is due on Thursday, and I am almost complete - just a little more grinding and polishing, and I am done.

DH was adamant I could not do this. He tried to step in more than once, and has been offering "advice" repeatedly.

AIBU to want to rub his nose in the fact that not only did I do it, but it looks good, and is a longer and more complex sword than he has ever made?

God I hate it when I am underrated.

(note : this is an unfinished picture still...)

Vehivle Mon 08-Apr-19 00:46:50

I'm glad you proved him wrong - but why is it bent at the end?

Flossy04 Mon 08-Apr-19 00:46:53

Not unreasonable at all 😂 my OH used to think I could t do a lot of things, soon proved him wrong haha, you should be proud of what you achieved and I'm sure he will be proud of you too!!

SisyphusHadItEasy Mon 08-Apr-19 00:49:30

Vehicle it is supposed to be bent. It is a Chinese Dao, that is the design.

Odd looking, I know. DD says it looks like a hockey stick

SisyphusHadItEasy Mon 08-Apr-19 00:50:38

Vehivle darn autocarrot!!

UterusUterusGhali Mon 08-Apr-19 02:01:24

It's lovely, well done!!

OH and I thrive on petty rivalries, so I'd gloat if he'd been mean about my attempts. But maybe he feels like you've pissed on his parade a bit, and butted into his hobby. (Although it's a great hobby to share)

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 08-Apr-19 02:09:05

Gloat away.

We have a lovely man in our mostly female office. We're moving office and he really thought we weren't capable of putting up the partitions and attached desks. We were.

We gloated.

Northernparent68 Mon 08-Apr-19 04:38:04

That sort of pettiness must be exhausting for you both.

HirplesWithHaggis Mon 08-Apr-19 04:43:46

"But will this blade kill?" "Forged in Fire" has a lot to answer for. grin

InACheeseAndPickle Mon 08-Apr-19 07:59:38

Well done OP! Looks great!

GummyGoddess Mon 08-Apr-19 08:25:26

Has he offered any congratulations?

Hazlenutpie Mon 08-Apr-19 08:27:37

My ex DH used to say I couldn’t do most things as well as him. Funny how things turn out. 😎

Vehivle Mon 08-Apr-19 11:22:58

Ah I see! Shows my ignorance!

MollysLips Mon 08-Apr-19 12:22:37

* We have a lovely man in our mostly female office. We're moving office and he really thought we weren't capable of putting up the partitions and attached desks. We were.*

So you all did all the desks and partitions, happily, falling over yourselves to show him that you could do it.. while he got to do absolutely nothing? This man is my God.

MollysLips Mon 08-Apr-19 12:26:40

OP, I wouldn't gloat. I'd settle it with a duel!!

Chocolateisfab Mon 08-Apr-19 12:28:51

Yabu not to ring the makers of the new season of Game Of Thrones and ask for a last minute part!!

Namestheyareachangin Mon 08-Apr-19 12:32:59

@SisyphusHadItEasy

darn autocarrot!!

grin

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Mon 08-Apr-19 12:44:30

When you hold it do you shout in a loud and powerful voice.

"there can be only one!"

fecketyfeck21 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:04:21

bravo that woman ! congrats on your sword making and spilling the beans about a ...sshh whisper it.. hobby. it's certainly unusual - hobby that is.

Bipbopbee Mon 08-Apr-19 13:09:53

**When you hold it do you shout in a loud and powerful voice.

"there can be only one!"**

grin

UterusUterusGhali Mon 08-Apr-19 13:21:38

Omg, yes!

A duel! 😁
I know of women's swords workshops if you're interested...?

FriarTuck Mon 08-Apr-19 14:00:41

But maybe he feels like you've pissed on his parade a bit, and butted into his hobby
This ^^.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 08-Apr-19 14:51:58

while he got to do absolutely nothing? This man is my God.

Obviously not @MollysLips there was a whole office-full to sort.

QueenOfCatan Mon 08-Apr-19 14:54:27

I would gloat, that is amazing! I'm doing an engineering degree too and would jump at the chance to do something this cool!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »