Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a house very near an airport?

(155 Posts)
Kittypillar Sun 07-Apr-19 23:47:10

DH and I have started doing some house hunting and we've found a house that we both really like, except for one issue on my part - it's only 5 minutes down the road (by car) from an airport.

We had a viewing on Friday and aside from the airport issue it's perfect. We're talking "dream house" territory - plenty of room, lovely garden, gorgeous rural/village location but also easy access to city we work in, excellent schools nearby. The village itself isn't in the flight path from the runway (it's south of the airport and the runway goes east to west), and the noise from that one visit seemed fairly minimal when we hung around a bit afterwards.

DH absolutely in love but I'm a little reluctant. I'm not 100% sure why but I suspect it's due to air pollution more than anything else. DH thinks I'm being ridiculous because we lived in a zone 2 very busy area of London a few years ago and I never worried about that then, although I've pointed out we have a 1 year old now and it's slightly different circumstances...

AIBU? Is it a bit silly to pass up on an amazing house due to this? WWYD?

Flyingarcher Wed 10-Apr-19 17:26:52

Waves at @ciderhouserules. Nice to know a fellow Gatwick walker. It is very green near us. Fab bluebell woods too.

ciderhouserules Tue 09-Apr-19 09:05:26

Ooh are you moving to Nemptnett Thrubwell? It's my all-time favourite placename! - that is a fab placename!

My favourite is Huish Episcopi in Somerset. It prob means Church Place or something, but it's so musical grin

Rockbird Tue 09-Apr-19 01:01:02

As someone who also struggles to park near her house, I'd live on the runway itself if it had parking! wink

I grew up under a Heathrow flight path, with a motorway on one side and busy railway tracks on the other. Never noticed any noise until I moved away. I found it very comforting and wouldn't hesitate to move near an airport.

tobypercy Tue 09-Apr-19 00:36:35

I used to live 5 miles south of Gatwick (east-west runway). I almost never heard any noise.

Hang around the village a bit more and you'll see how much of a problem it will be - or watch flight radar to see how close the planes go to your potential new home.

LadyRannaldini Mon 08-Apr-19 23:42:34

Noise is odd. We once lived next door to a newspaper printing works, our bedroom window was three feet from theirs and as it was a hot country windows were open! After a couple of weeks we stopped being disturbed at 3 am when they started to print, every day except Sunday. However when it was Bank Holiday Monday they didn't print and we were woken up at 3 am by the silence.

chaoscategorised Mon 08-Apr-19 19:59:00

In terms of noise - I've lived very close to two northern airports, one small and one big. I found the plane noise quite reassuring. However, I don't know about pollution!

IndigoSpritz Mon 08-Apr-19 19:47:16

Welcome to the club, Rabbity !

maggiecate Mon 08-Apr-19 16:39:09

Ooh are you moving to Nemptnett Thrubwell? It's my all-time favourite placename!
The local landowner to my folks put in an airstrip so he could fly his little single engine round and round in circles of a weekend, which was like having a massive wasp buzzing against the window. Bristol airport would have been heaven by comparison! If everything else if ticking your boxes I'd go for it to be honest - you're on the right side of the airport for the prevailing winds which will carry any pollution and noise away from you. Have a look on www.flightradar24.com/ to see how the planes approach and take off, and how much traffic actually crosses where you're going to be living.
You'll find it very hard to find anywhere in the South of England that doesn't have air pollution (esp in tourist areas like the south west) without going right out into the twigs and being close to an airport can be incredibly handy.

PissOffPeppa Mon 08-Apr-19 16:28:56

I live near an airport, albeit a private one. I can hear a plane coming in as I type. I quite like the noise, although sometimes you get a really loud one which sounds like it’s going to plough through the roof. We used to be right under the flight path of Concorde and that was loud but we didn’t really notice it. It does just become background noise.

We used to live on a main road with trucks thundering past all hours of the day and night, and that was much worse.

(Ooh here comes another plane- I had no idea they were so frequent! I really don’t notice them most the time)

DinosApple Mon 08-Apr-19 16:21:44

I used to live near Stansted Airport in Bishops Stortford. Yes I could hear the frequent planes, but I got used to it. I worked in Stansted Mountfitchet which is closer to the airport, but it was less noisy than my home.

Don't rule it out go and have a look!

lalasmum11 Mon 08-Apr-19 16:17:22

Lol just reading this and a plane goes over my head, we are about ten minutes from an airport. A busy one with two terminals and transatlantic flights. Don’t hear the planes that often, we are quite rural and beside the sea. Air quality excellent.

I must say it’s great when traveling for work, DH used to fly out every Monday and back Friday for a year. People can phone when they land and we are there to collect by time they come out.

nrpmum Mon 08-Apr-19 16:03:12

I live about that distance from southampton airport, hardly notice the noise tbh. We have a noise reactive dog and she never pays attention either.

Youshallnotpass Mon 08-Apr-19 15:49:52

I am 15 miles away from Bristol airport but literally under one of its 2 take off / landing paths. If the wind is right it can be quite noisy but I haven't consciously thought about it for months and months.

South of Bristol airport? I doubt you would hear anything. My only concern would be cheeky car parking with a taxi to the airport.

ForalltheSaints Mon 08-Apr-19 15:41:20

I would not, as the timing of flights and indeed who flies them could make a difference to the noise, even if I got used to a particular pattern.

PrincessConsuelaBananahamm0ck Mon 08-Apr-19 15:17:07

I live about 10min drive from a small-ish regional airport. Gets a bit busier in the summer, but it only operates flights from about 8am to 9pm. Maybe get a plane hourly in the summer, if that. Depending on where they're flying, they sometimes fly directly over my house. My house is a 'dream house' type house, lovely garden, lovely views at the back and in a leafy suburb of a lovely city. I can honestly say, the planes are absolutely no bother and if anything, it's actually quite nice having them fly over. They are not massive planes like you'd get flying into Heathrow, just 'normal' sized planes operating regional or european flights. If you love the house, I would definitely go for it. We don't regret it at all and have no concerns about selling it on because of the airport.

Rollercoaster1920 Mon 08-Apr-19 15:15:47

If the runway is east-west then the planes will about 70% of the time be landing from the East and taking off to the west (prevailing wind in the UK is from the southwest).

So on a typical day with wind from the SW head to the house and listen to the noise. Being south of the airport I expect that the prevailing wind will take the noise away to the north east.

Check the council local plan for expansion plans. Gatwick has been in the balance for years.

PottyPotterer Mon 08-Apr-19 15:14:00

I live a 10 minute drive from a major airport and never hear the planes. Not on the flight path though. Very handy for holidays too, I wouldn't fly from anywhere else even though it'd often be cheaper as I like a short transfer either end of a flight. Am usually home within 30 minutes of landing.

RabbityMcRabbit Mon 08-Apr-19 15:13:58

@IndigoSpritz snap! I live near LBA too!x

Tensixtysix Mon 08-Apr-19 15:13:47

We live in the middle of nowhere. But although there aren't any airports for miles we seem to be on a local flight path for massive military helicopters and single engined planes doing 'loop de loops' right over our house.
You only know they are there when the engine splutters into life!
Twenty years ago, fighter jets used to 'clip' the edge of our house and make the whole house shake!
They banned them recently!
So, to answer the OPs question. Yes, go for the house, because you won't get loads of traffic in the air. Just take offs and landings.

ciderhouserules Mon 08-Apr-19 15:06:27

I live very close to Gatwick (15 min walk) and it's fine - in fact, I love it. I can walk to under the flight path and watch the planes come in/go out. Our house is not under the flight path (we are north of the airport, runway is east/west) and so we barely hear them if they are coming in at our closest end of the runway. If they are taking off from our closest end, we do hear them, esp the bigger ones, or the prop planes.

They don't bother me at all. Sometimes if the wind is in our direction, we get a whiff of aviation fuel, but that is not often. Check the prevailing wind direction.
I've put my postcode into the website quoted upthread, and we have a ONE rating (Good) so I'm happy with that.

I'm also a FR geek - and I'm just off now to wander over to the airport to see what's coming in. (I am also always surprised at how green it is around here! When we had the shutdown/drone 'attack', the airborne shots of the airport showed just so much green, it was difficult to make out landmarks! And that was in winter)

Witchend Mon 08-Apr-19 14:52:36

I was brought up less than a mile from a military air base.
Love it. Fascinated by the planes. Only thing is I suspect it hasn't done my hearing any good.
In all honesty we were so used to it that you hardly noticed, even when the Eurofighter was overhead. You stopped what you were saying and continued when it had passed.
When we go back up there, the children don't notice too after a couple of days.

PCohle Mon 08-Apr-19 13:48:30

I would want to do a lot more research.

What is the noise like at different times of day, is is louder if the wind is in a different direction, could the flight plan change, how late do planes land, what about planes circling, is there light pollution, are there plans for future expansion, is parking a nightmare etc etc?

I would also worry that even if you are happy with the answers to those questions future buyers might not be and you might struggle to sell in future.

MadameAnchou Mon 08-Apr-19 13:45:36

Yes, but I'm not noise sensitive.

Hiddenaspie1973 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:39:11

No. If the noise is minimal, a change in flight path direction (landing/take-off) could change that. Noise in general.
Potential issues with users parking cars for 2 weeks to avoid charges. Also, some airport workers have paid parking but low wages, so may park outside regularly.
Expansion. Enough said.
Visit at various times day and night, term time, holiday time check it out.

Megan2018 Mon 08-Apr-19 13:39:07

I wouldn't no. But I hate noise! which is why we live in the arse end of nowhere

I think you need to go back and hang about (not in the house but in the road) at a couple of different times of day and see how you feel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »