Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a house very near an airport?

(155 Posts)
Kittypillar Sun 07-Apr-19 23:47:10

DH and I have started doing some house hunting and we've found a house that we both really like, except for one issue on my part - it's only 5 minutes down the road (by car) from an airport.

We had a viewing on Friday and aside from the airport issue it's perfect. We're talking "dream house" territory - plenty of room, lovely garden, gorgeous rural/village location but also easy access to city we work in, excellent schools nearby. The village itself isn't in the flight path from the runway (it's south of the airport and the runway goes east to west), and the noise from that one visit seemed fairly minimal when we hung around a bit afterwards.

DH absolutely in love but I'm a little reluctant. I'm not 100% sure why but I suspect it's due to air pollution more than anything else. DH thinks I'm being ridiculous because we lived in a zone 2 very busy area of London a few years ago and I never worried about that then, although I've pointed out we have a 1 year old now and it's slightly different circumstances...

AIBU? Is it a bit silly to pass up on an amazing house due to this? WWYD?

LadyRannaldini Mon 08-Apr-19 23:42:34

Noise is odd. We once lived next door to a newspaper printing works, our bedroom window was three feet from theirs and as it was a hot country windows were open! After a couple of weeks we stopped being disturbed at 3 am when they started to print, every day except Sunday. However when it was Bank Holiday Monday they didn't print and we were woken up at 3 am by the silence.

tobypercy Tue 09-Apr-19 00:36:35

I used to live 5 miles south of Gatwick (east-west runway). I almost never heard any noise.

Hang around the village a bit more and you'll see how much of a problem it will be - or watch flight radar to see how close the planes go to your potential new home.

Rockbird Tue 09-Apr-19 01:01:02

As someone who also struggles to park near her house, I'd live on the runway itself if it had parking! wink

I grew up under a Heathrow flight path, with a motorway on one side and busy railway tracks on the other. Never noticed any noise until I moved away. I found it very comforting and wouldn't hesitate to move near an airport.

ciderhouserules Tue 09-Apr-19 09:05:26

Ooh are you moving to Nemptnett Thrubwell? It's my all-time favourite placename! - that is a fab placename!

My favourite is Huish Episcopi in Somerset. It prob means Church Place or something, but it's so musical grin

Flyingarcher Wed 10-Apr-19 17:26:52

Waves at @ciderhouserules. Nice to know a fellow Gatwick walker. It is very green near us. Fab bluebell woods too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »