Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy a house very near an airport?

(155 Posts)
Kittypillar Sun 07-Apr-19 23:47:10

DH and I have started doing some house hunting and we've found a house that we both really like, except for one issue on my part - it's only 5 minutes down the road (by car) from an airport.

We had a viewing on Friday and aside from the airport issue it's perfect. We're talking "dream house" territory - plenty of room, lovely garden, gorgeous rural/village location but also easy access to city we work in, excellent schools nearby. The village itself isn't in the flight path from the runway (it's south of the airport and the runway goes east to west), and the noise from that one visit seemed fairly minimal when we hung around a bit afterwards.

DH absolutely in love but I'm a little reluctant. I'm not 100% sure why but I suspect it's due to air pollution more than anything else. DH thinks I'm being ridiculous because we lived in a zone 2 very busy area of London a few years ago and I never worried about that then, although I've pointed out we have a 1 year old now and it's slightly different circumstances...

AIBU? Is it a bit silly to pass up on an amazing house due to this? WWYD?

GunpowderGelatine Sun 07-Apr-19 23:50:56

Yes, but I find comfort in noise, especially at night, my favourite house of ours was when we lived on a very busy and noisy ring road (not joking, loved that house and it's location). MIL used to love near Birmingham airport and it was fine

Winenotttea Sun 07-Apr-19 23:52:34

Is it a proper airport or a little airfield?

GregoryPeckingDuck Sun 07-Apr-19 23:52:34

It depends on the noise. I am very Boise sensitive.

Greeborising Sun 07-Apr-19 23:53:17

If you’re not under the flight path and you won’t suffer with traffic then why not.
Have you actually been in the property when planes have been taking off and landing?
Visit the property at different times of day too.
I found my ‘dream’ flat years ago in London, only downside was it was near a railway line
I decided I liked the flat too much to care but on the 3rd viewing I was standing in the lounge when a train went past and made the most horrific noise!😬
Deal breaker!

happyhillock Sun 07-Apr-19 23:55:05

I to like noise, wouldn't bother me

morefoolyou Sun 07-Apr-19 23:56:48

Depends on how big / busy the airport is.
Heathrow - YABU
City of Derry - yanbu

morefoolyou Sun 07-Apr-19 23:57:42

I love about 15 mins from a fairly busy airport and its absolutely fine.
We don't even notice the noise anymore

CheeseAndBeans Sun 07-Apr-19 23:58:59

I live very close to a major airport and it's fine. We are not directly under flight path but do get some noise... I am used to it now and barely notice. Although, recently the airport was closed down for a couple of days because of an incident and it was weird not having the background noise!
I wouldn't see it as a deal breaker at all.

Winenotttea Sun 07-Apr-19 23:59:32

I bought my first house quite cheaply, at the end of the 30 foot garden was a railway track which put loads of people off. Luckily for me the trains only ran every hour from 9am to 6pm Monday to Saturday. It didn’t disturb me at all and didn’t affect me in my garden when trains were passing by.
That said, Little airfields can be really annoying especially in the summer, I used to work at a little airfield and most of the time when the phone rang in the summer it was someone complaining about the noise.

DizzyPhillips Mon 08-Apr-19 00:00:04

Yeah I would. But I have a thing about planes and envy the people living under the Heathrow flight path blush

Clammyclam Mon 08-Apr-19 00:01:32

I live 5 mins from a regional airport and it's fine
It's fun watching the planes take off and the noise isn't an issue
I like the background hum

DizzyPhillips Mon 08-Apr-19 00:02:07

I mean I would love this 🤤

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 00:02:53

Is it a proper airport or a little airfield?

It's a proper airport, albeit not an enormous one. Without giving myself away (although I'm sure someone could figure it out grin ) it's probably on par with the likes of Cardiff and Southampton...

RUOKHUN Mon 08-Apr-19 00:02:55

My concern would be the implications of possibly increased air pollution on your LO’s health, as there is evidence to suggest that increased air pollution can have an impact on children’s respiratory systems.

eurochick Mon 08-Apr-19 00:04:38

I'd want to do some research around flight paths and holding patterns around the airport. Depending on direction you could have planes right over your house or nowhere near it.

breadzeb Mon 08-Apr-19 00:04:45

As above, pollution would bother me more than noise.

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 00:05:45

Have you actually been in the property when planes have been taking off and landing?

Yeah we did, we went on a Friday afternoon so hung around for a little bit after to see what it would be like. Although admittedly we only stayed for about 20 minutes as DD was getting a bit grumpy blush

Winenotttea Mon 08-Apr-19 00:06:35

If it’s a proper airport then I probably wouldn’t be that bothered, you will get used to the hum. Little airfields are an entirely different matter and are a pain in the arse because the sound is higher and less constant.

breadzeb Mon 08-Apr-19 00:07:16

it's probably on par with the likes of Cardiff and Southampton...

Well Southampton has almost double the scheduled flights that Cardiff has, so not really that similar.

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 00:09:30

Well Southampton has almost double the scheduled flights that Cardiff has, so not really that similar.

Oops blush just had a double check online, I'd say it's most similar to Cardiff by the looks of it. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realise Southampton was so much busier!

NetballHoop Mon 08-Apr-19 00:09:40

No. I've lived near to Gatwick and worked near Heathrow and both were horrible. BUT just a short distance away was fine so you really need to go and listen to the noise at different times of the day become you decide.

Seeingadistance Mon 08-Apr-19 00:09:57

I grew up right next to an airport. As in, our house, then a single track road then the airport. As children, my sister and used to love standing right under the planes as they came in to land!

Many years later, I lived in a village very near another airport. When I moved there, my neighbours complained about the noise of the buses though the village, not a word about the planes!

You stop noticing them very quickly.

AlunWynsKnee Mon 08-Apr-19 00:10:29

As far as noise goes I used to live really close to a major airport's runway and I got used to the noise. I could sleep through it despite being on the flight path with secondary double glazing.
The pollution is another matter. Planes and the traffic.

YouBumder Mon 08-Apr-19 00:10:40

I live quite near a big airport but not on the flight path so it’s fine. Used to live a good bit further away but was on the flight path there so it was noisier than here. It was still fine though you get used to it.

annikin Mon 08-Apr-19 00:11:08

We live near an airport but not on the flight path and it doesn't bother us at all although we are 'peace and quiet' types who would hate living on a main road. Never thought about pollution tbh. Maybe I should have!

Winenotttea Mon 08-Apr-19 00:13:22

My noisy houses....
Growing up under the Heathrow flight path, didn’t notice it at all
Moved to slightly away from the flight path but nearer the Thames, helicopter noise all the bloody time
Local railway line, not a problem
Local airfield, bloody annoying and I worked for it at the time!
My mum used to live right under the Heathrow flight path just where planes put their undercarriage down for landing. I bloody loved that flat, I went up to her roof garden and watched the planes as often as I could.

sardinesontoast Mon 08-Apr-19 00:15:26

I regularly visit a friend that lives under a flight plan for a major airport. I notice the first couples of planes and then nothing for the weekend. She hears none of them

sardinesontoast Mon 08-Apr-19 00:15:46

Path not plan!

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 00:21:42

The pollution is another matter. Planes and the traffic.

This is exactly my worry. We don't exactly live out in the sticks right now but I'd had an idea that when we did move, it would be to somewhere a bit more rural and away from the city, which would be good for DD as she grows up. Sort of feel like by moving near to an airport I'd be undoing the good of that and air pollution would still potentially be high. DH thinks I'm being a bit neurotic mum about it. She's PFB, naturally wink

Sparklesocks Mon 08-Apr-19 00:24:20

I think it’s quite specific to the individual, I live under a busy flight path but I don’t hear the planes anymore. My neighbor though, despite only being a few doors down, is constantly struggling to sleep and always talking about how terrible it is - she even knows the flight numbers of the ones which regularly wake her!

breadzeb Mon 08-Apr-19 00:25:08

If you are checking scheduled flights to gauge airport size be aware that some airports will be heavy cargo handlers and those flights are mainly not scheduled.

Jsmith99 Mon 08-Apr-19 00:27:40

I work very close to East Midlands Airport, which operates 24/7 due to large amounts of cargo traffic. The runway is laid out east-west, and there are villages under the fight path at each end of the runway, Melbourne and Kegworth. Both have aircraft passing directly overhead, but Melbourne generally suffers from more noise as the aircraft normally take off in that direction, ie westerly.

There are also villages north and south of the airport, Castle Donington and Diseworth. These are MUCH quieter, as the aircraft don’t fly directly overhead. I would definitely buy a house in Disewoth, despite it being less than a mile from the runway.

WhyTho Mon 08-Apr-19 00:32:33

Hell yes. In a hot second. But I’m at the airport every week (FIFO) so my answer is probably irrelevant.

I do enjoy plane watching though. I’m a bit of an aviation geek.

lyralalala Mon 08-Apr-19 00:36:51

What is the parking like? If the house has off road parking or residents permits then yes. If it doesn't then no. We used to live near a busy train station that had a rail link and the train noise you get used too, but having to park 15 minutes away because the street is full of people who parked up and got a taxi to the station quickly got tedious.

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 00:46:17

What is the parking like?

Off-road parking enough for two cars plus a garage. After a year or so of fighting to park our car on the street outside our house, DH was practically salivating grin

TheTitOfTheIceberg Mon 08-Apr-19 00:53:00

I grew up directly under a flight path (in a house, I wasn't feral on the runway verges) so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. When visitors used to come round they'd sometimes comment on the closeness / noise of the planes and my parents and I genuinely wouldn't have noticed.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 08-Apr-19 00:55:41

If it's Hale village in Liverpool I'd grab it with both hands!

RomaineCalm Mon 08-Apr-19 00:56:01

We are close to a regional airport and it really doesn't bother us.

I quite like seeing the planes going over and somehow feeling connected to the rest of the world. We try to fly from our local airport if we go away and even after many years we smile when we can land, collect bags and be home within 40mins.

Not sure I would feel the same way about living near Heathrow or Gatwick but I wouldn't necessarily let an airport put you off a dream house.

MovingThisYearDefinitely Mon 08-Apr-19 01:00:53

I live near an airport. One thing to bear in mind is flight paths can change. A house that has little aircraft noise can quickly switch to unbearable. I just moved & now live 10 minutes from the airport, but don't notice the planes because of the great double glazing. Summer could be noisy though. I used to get woken at 5am at my old house that was 20 minutes from the airport.

LondonHuffyPuffy Mon 08-Apr-19 01:02:16

I live under the flight path to London City airport. I hardly notice it and, as a PP said, when they changed the flight path during the 2012 Olympics it was weird to not have any aircraft noise! Helicopters going up and down the Thames are more annoying than the planes.

HunnyCaramel Mon 08-Apr-19 01:02:46

I would, but noise doesnt bother me, it really badly affects some people

Unihorn Mon 08-Apr-19 01:07:14

I'd love it! My parents live next to a busy dual carriageway and I find the noise comforting.

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 01:08:20

One thing to bear in mind is flight paths can change.

This is a really good point, neither of us had considered that!

IncrediblySadToo Mon 08-Apr-19 01:19:26

The thing that would worry me most is whether there was any chance of being in the situation where the airport was planning on extending and being served a. conpulsory purchase order 🙁

breadzeb Mon 08-Apr-19 01:22:16

It's actually rare for a huge change in flight paths. Edinburgh trialed a change a while back but it ended up being rejected, it was over the course of about 4 years though and local residents did massive campaigning against the trial.

You will find if you are not too far south nothing will actually go over or even near you. And with an east/west runway the planes will come in from the east more than from the west.

dontfluffthefluffer Mon 08-Apr-19 01:40:19

I live approx 15ish min drive from a busy airport now, grew up about 30 mins from it. Depending on the wind direction you can hear the low rumble sometimes but it's not offensive and you very quickly get used to it. Never really notice it now and I quite like hearing that low rumbly noise in the night every so often.

Conversely, I lived in a house rurally, nowhere near an airport. Turns out it was a fly by/training area for fighter jets. The noise was brutal at times and really quite scary at first as they were so fast and so low.

Give me an airport any day, nothing like the roaring screams of jet engines and pilots so close you could practically invite them in for a cuppa.

PhilipJennings Mon 08-Apr-19 01:44:47

I’d say things to bear in mind are: holding patterns, which can generally circle areas that aren’t in the usual path. The direction in which planes travel along the runway to take off or land can change, depending on wind and weather conditions. And if the surrounding area is quiet, the early and late flights can seem louder.

(I live about 15km from Gatwick, and I’m often woken up by the first flight of the day.)

Nickpan Mon 08-Apr-19 01:45:46

why so mysterious about which airport? Are you important?

IfNotNowThenWhy Mon 08-Apr-19 01:48:37

I live under a flight path of a small airport and find it quite comforting as I'm falling asleep. Better than the low flying police helicopters that used to wake me up all night where I used to live!

MovingThisYearDefinitely Mon 08-Apr-19 01:49:08

Flight paths do change & it is dramatic & life-changing for some. Some people near where I live (major airport) are suffering greatly, so its certainly not something to dismiss because it is apparently rare in some peoples opinion! What are you used to? I was used to living somewhere quite rural in a cul de sac with a car passing every 10 minutes. Suddenly being woken by a plane every few minutes from 5am during summer when I moved area & they changed the flight path was indeed a rude awakening.

One of my old houses was right by a railway line & I could feel the house literally shake as trains went under the tunnel beneath the house. That didn't bother me at all, but loud aircraft noise is a completely different level. I suggest you research how busy the airport actually is during busy times. I am putting across worst case scenario for you. I still chose to move yet closer to the airport. 5 minutes is really close though. Personally I don't think I would. You need to spend a reasonable amount of time there before you decide for sure though!

BloodsportForAll Mon 08-Apr-19 04:37:18

My OH lived near Heathrow til we moved in together at Xmas. Staying at his was awful, somewhere round six or seven in the morning, the planes all started. Not good if we had actually gone out the night before.

It was spelt of exciting but headachy

Iruka Mon 08-Apr-19 04:45:17

Have you looked on Flightradar24 to see what planes are over your house and their altitude?

Nowthenforever2019 Mon 08-Apr-19 05:35:37

I live near Southend Airport. Actually love being close enough to walk to the airport for holidays and not hugely bothered by the occasional noise

MardAsSnails Mon 08-Apr-19 05:47:00

I live on a flight path about 2km away from the end of the runway at a major airport.

It’s turned me into a FR24 geek. I know the different sounds of the A380s vs dreamliners vs 777s, and the smaller planes too.

I too find it comforting when I hear the change of plane size - the smaller short haul planes are most of the evening, and around 9-11pm it’s big planes going east. 11-2am it’s back to smaller airlines taking the cheaper flight slots (often older planes, so much noisier), and then 2-4 it’s back to ‘premium’ airline big planes heading west to land in Europe first thing in the business day.

I absolutely love it (especially when we get something fun happening like Air Force 1 or the Antonov-225 or diversions from airlines who don’t normally land here). I’m also a bit of a tail fin geek and can name most airlines who fly into the Middle East by their tail.

I might not be an impartial person though given that I’m clearly a geek.

stucknoue Mon 08-Apr-19 05:56:21

Check out night flight rules and spend half a day or so hanging out near the house. I would go for it

scarus Mon 08-Apr-19 06:00:21

Definitely have a good google there will be a XXX Airport local action group. They will have collated data on flight paths, daily flight schedules (including cargo) and any proposals to change paths/add runways.

I used to live near EMA (as PP said 24/7, planes every 5 mins) and my two thoughts were that cargo planes are often bigger/noisier than passenger jets and that the planes at night sound 10x louder than during the day.

Longdistance Mon 08-Apr-19 06:08:10

As well as getting Flightradar24, look up about future plans for the airport. For the likes of Luton airport they are building another runway/terminal and obviously the flight paths will change. If it’s that, that’s why the vendor is selling wink

JuniorAsparagus Mon 08-Apr-19 06:11:06

I think it is probably worse if you live further away like us. Every time we hear a plane (usually military) we stop and listen, because it is a comparative rarity.
If you live closer you probably block it out.
Same with traffic. We only hear the main road when the wind is in a certain direction, so it feels really noisy.

toomanycats99 Mon 08-Apr-19 06:26:45

I'm sure Heathrow are going through a consultation to change flights paths or add them - that could be a consideration.

countrygirl99 Mon 08-Apr-19 06:51:10

Don't base your assessment of the noise on 1 day. Last year I was a weekend event near East Midlands airport. The Friday night was horrid and I had to get up and concentrate the next day. The Saturday night was completely different and you wouldn't have realised your were near an airport.

cordeliavorkosigan Mon 08-Apr-19 07:04:55

There are online air quality index measurements so you can compare to where you were in London, different places around the world. Levels vary, so watch for a few days or longer and compare a few of them. Just google AQI [your location]. I think it is the fine particulates that are the biggest concern for DC respiratory issues (but I'm not certain).

Ragnarthe Mon 08-Apr-19 07:10:05

I lived under the flight path of Manchester airport for 15 years. It honestly rarely bothered me.
The only time I had trouble sleeping was when they closed the airport due to fog etc. It was too quiet then.

IndigoSpritz Mon 08-Apr-19 07:14:47

I live less than two miles from Leeds Bradford Airport and aircraft noise just isn't an issue.

Now I'm trying to identify the airport in the OP's description. East to west runway, similar to Southampton or Cardiff. I'd say East Midlands or Bristol.

Ivegotthree Mon 08-Apr-19 07:17:26

I wouldn't because it'll be so hard to sell when you eventually sell it.

gauntletthrown Mon 08-Apr-19 07:18:51

We are about 30 mile from Birmingham airport but right on a flight path so when the planes are coming into land they're in descent over us already and you can hear the engines gearing up for landing.

I quite like it. Makes me feel connected to the world.

Point is you can't escape it no matter how far away and you'll get used to it. Better than living near the M5 like a friend of mine as that's a constant noise.

BiscuitDrama Mon 08-Apr-19 07:22:23

Flight paths are harder to change near the airport as the actual runway would need to be rotated.
Might be worth asking if the flight direction ever changes, with wind.
Otherwise I would say if you go and listen again, when there are some planes taking off, then it’s probably fine.
I’d check if there is a night ban on flights too.
You want to make sure it’s ok if it gets busier too. So listen to the planes assuming there may be more.

It’s not LBA is it?

Bagpuss5 Mon 08-Apr-19 07:26:53

What are the main wind directions - most of the U.K. it is from the south west. So you should be downwind of fumes. I have noticed strong fuel smells sometimes when visiting near airports. I would think air quality will be monitored so look online for stats.

Triglesoffy Mon 08-Apr-19 07:28:10

I lived under the Heathrow flight path and we also had a rail line at the end of the garden plus a bus stop outside the front door. The planes were the least of our problems.

FookMeFookYou Mon 08-Apr-19 07:32:36

I often think when coming in to land and we're going over houses "how awful to have to live there"... obvs I'm aware that some ppl have no real choice or they were there prior to the airport/flight path but absolutely no, I wouldn't,

We've lived next to a couple of major roads and that was bad enough.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Mon 08-Apr-19 07:36:22

Put your postcode into this to see what the general air quality is like.

Frazzled2207 Mon 08-Apr-19 07:36:57

I wouldn't rule it out but would do my research with regards to all current flight paths, future ones, projected expansion, traffic and air quality.

I used to live right underneath the arrival path for Manchester and it didn't bother me but that was before I became a slightly neurotic parent and I am a bit of a plane spotter.

Wallsbangers Mon 08-Apr-19 07:37:02

Lots of regional airports have flights first thing and then not too much during the day. I'd get up early and sit outside/round the corner and see how noisy it is.

OneKeyAtATime Mon 08-Apr-19 07:37:23

I personally wouldn't make a big purchase like a house unless I am 100% sure of my choice.
Also if you are hesitating, future buyers will too. How easy will it be to resell in 20 years time? You also don't know how much the airport will have grown

BlackHillsofDakota Mon 08-Apr-19 07:47:29

I used to live about 3 minutes from Gatwick. Didn't bother me in the slightest. If you do buy it, don't turn in to one of those people who start campaigning against the airport the minute you move it grin

breadzeb Mon 08-Apr-19 07:51:49

Might be worth asking if the flight direction ever changes, with wind

It does. Irrespective of airport, the wind direction always dictates the runway direction. A higher percentage of flights will arrive from the east and take of towards the west in the UK.

breadzeb Mon 08-Apr-19 07:58:38

I'm sure Heathrow are going through a consultation to change flights paths or add them

Heathrow have had plans approved to build a third runway, the impact on locals will be huge.

They also don't take off on their northern runway (09L) towards the east. The was due to a noise agreement they had with Crawford which dates back to the 1950's. The agreement has since ended and Cranford are at some point going to have aircraft taking off directly over them. Heathrow isn't set up for take offs on the runway and are currently doing a lot of work on their taxiways etc otherwise they would already be doing it.

InACheeseAndPickle Mon 08-Apr-19 08:02:28

I've lived near an airport and it was fine but I know someone else who had to move as she hated it. It's very personal.

MrsMoastyToasty Mon 08-Apr-19 08:02:58

I live about 15-20 minutes from Bristol airport and under the flight path. The planes are usually banking to make their final approach when they come over. I don't normally notice them and they stop after midnight .
I grew up less than a mile from Filton during the days when Concorde was being built and undergoing test flights. Concorde and the Red Arrows on days when they held displays were the only planes that rattled the windows.

YemenRoadYemen Mon 08-Apr-19 08:03:00

I would be concerned about re-sale, as well.

I lived on Fulham Rd for a while, and my God. Planes went over every 30 seconds, which was bad enough. But this was in the days of Concord. You had to stop the convo when it flew over, as you couldn't even shout to be heard.

I swore never again.

jay55 Mon 08-Apr-19 08:05:38

I live close to city airport and it doesn't bother me, as I live in a high rise the planes don't come that close though.

Had a relative that lived near a minor airport and that was only a pain when there was a special event on.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Mon 08-Apr-19 08:06:50

We saw the same. Great house, great size, massive garden...
Airport runway over the road and a little field.
That really explained the low price. We said no to it in the end because the noise and vibration were horrible. You may think it's fine if you experienced it with one plabe, but we were lucky enough to have 2 in a row and it was a big fat no.

lunabody Mon 08-Apr-19 08:11:53

I wouldn't have thought air pollution from the airport would be a massive issue - if it's generally rural then the pollution will get dispersed. Air pollution is worse in cities due to more sources, and less overall air movement due to more buildings preventing "dilution" with cleaner air. As PPs have said, check the postcode online for pollution levels.

PookieDo Mon 08-Apr-19 08:11:55

I have always lived next to an airport but never under the flight path. Makes a difference!
The large town about 10 miles away is much worse off than me as directly under flight path. I could walk to the airport if I wanted to from my house it’s that close. But doesn’t bother me re noise. CF Airport Parker’s on other hand...

Orchardgreen Mon 08-Apr-19 08:12:06

You would be very popular with friends who want to dump their car with you whilstthey go on holiday.

PookieDo Mon 08-Apr-19 08:15:57

Yes! It’s not a small airport either
I don’t mind if people ask to park but a lot of people just dump their cars and many residents are in an eternal state of rage
THAT is more annoying than planes

HeronLanyon Mon 08-Apr-19 08:34:51

If the noise doesn’t bother you then the other things I would think about - traffic and planning. Are you on a route to/from which might make roads unexpectedly busy at times? ( this will be a very low flight period I’d think). Are there plans to expand either runway or ‘outbuildings’/infrastructure which might impinge ? Light pollution at night ??

Flyingarcher Mon 08-Apr-19 08:36:18

I live 20 minute walk or five mins drive to major airport. Atm all I can hear is the birds going mental outside, oh, there is a plane now in the distance. You tune them out. But, depending on wind direction we have days when you hear nothing and other days when they are very obvious if you are outside.

When we looked we went in houses and opened a window, like a ventilator, in the bedroom. If it was very loud then that was a no. We occasionally get a real pictures on the walls trembler but not very often. It is very handy being able to walk to the airport and it is also a major employer and brings in business. Consequently, economies round here are good. Tbh the villages on the flight path are more affected than us. I'd go for it but go and sit in the road, with your car windows down at different times.

Pollution. Hmmm. We are surrounded by green. It is there but better than city or train.

I'd rather have plane noise than people in street yacking after walking back from pub noise, or constant road noise. Since I started typing there have been three planes heard.

HeronLanyon Mon 08-Apr-19 08:38:10

Just remembered friend who loves next to tiny airfield (grass runway until very recently). The helicopters cause more noise nuisance than planes (admittedly tiny planes there). If coastal then wind direction can make particular difference to small aircraft and can change the flight path significantly.
Good luck op.

RestingBitchFaced Mon 08-Apr-19 08:39:21

Have you considered that everyone you know will want to come and stay with you before they get their early flights to go on holiday? No it wouldn't put me off, but I would maybe view again and check out the noise levels properly

Guylian2019 Mon 08-Apr-19 08:39:23

My friend lives near a small ish airport. She doesn't mind the noise but people park inconsiderately and then bugger off for two weeks. She hates that.

AdvancedAvoider Mon 08-Apr-19 08:42:19

Yep, in fact we do. I love plane watching and the roar of the engines.

Dana28 Mon 08-Apr-19 08:44:34

You may have difficulty selling again

JonSlow Mon 08-Apr-19 08:45:27

If it’s Bristol airport, the villages around the A38 are lovely!!

PookieDo Mon 08-Apr-19 08:48:37

Yeah roads are a bigger PITA as depends on airport size you will be near to a motorway/very busy stretch of road. That in itself is so annoying as you can get trapped in your village if there is a road incident as I have been multiple times. So much worse than some planes, also for pollution. But agree to go back and sit outside and listen. I am in a new build and can hardly hear the engines with windows closed. Sometimes with windows open I can hear the engines but it’s a low rumble. My DM used to live under the flight path it is surprising how you just get completely used to the noise. My airport doesn’t fly much at night

Many many years so a freight plane did crash here (in a forest) and I remember it very vividly with the flames and it freaked me out for a long long time so much so I did not get onto a plane for about 15 years but I have started flying again now

PookieDo Mon 08-Apr-19 08:50:45

I’ve also seen Air Force 1 a few times which is exciting

And they did scramble some jets a few years ago which made sonic booms which were terrifying but also pretty exciting 😂

IceIceCoffee Mon 08-Apr-19 09:05:56

I moved from a little village to a big city I’m two minutes from the airport I got used to the noise very quickly

Kittypillar Mon 08-Apr-19 09:09:40

Thank you everyone, these are all really good points that I hadn't given much consideration to yet. It helps a lot. I'm definitely concerned about the reselling aspect in the future too - if I'm having a wobble about it I suspect other folks might too!

Sorry for being cagey about the airport, I was worried it might make me easier to be identified, although in hindsight that's probably not too likely grin but definitely not because I'm "important" as someone else asked... It's Bristol. Villages around there are absolutely lovely but urgh, hard to be sure. Also just been reading this morning that they have applied for new permissions to expand their services so that's a worry.

MrsMoastyToasty Mon 08-Apr-19 09:22:53

To be honest there's very few places in the UK where you can totally get away from aircraft noise. I've been traveling through remote areas of the Highlands and suddenly a military jet will come screeching along at low level.
Where I live (between Bristol and Bath) we are more troubled by hot air balloons. They fly over so low that you can almost see the pilots eyes and it's usually so early in the morning in summer that you get woken up. They're usually trying to find somewhere to land safely.

Teddy1970 Mon 08-Apr-19 09:26:51

Yes the threat of expansion would bother me there's a really lovely village near Gatwick that would vanish completely if it got another runway, the village is still there...for now at least.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »