Talk

Advanced search

To stay at my dm house to try and hear this

(64 Posts)
Worzilgummidge Sun 07-Apr-19 22:05:48

My elderly dm lives on her own and sleeps downstairs on the sofa.
She says it doesn't happen every night but she has been experiencing a sound of 3 knocks like somebody is at the door it's at random times but always during the night.
It's always 3 knocks as well and she is too scared to actually get up and look out of the window.
What could this be I am so tempted to stay there on the odd night to see if I hear anything.

BlatheringOn Sun 07-Apr-19 23:57:05

I went through a phase of hearing doors slamming when dozing and more than once an explosion outside - but it wasn't real. What has been real is birds knocking and scratching on the roof tiles, even very late at night.

It doesn't sound like your DM, but:
One of my neighbours opened the door to the police one evening - his elderly neighbour had called them because she said he was constantly banging on the walls. She could hear it but the police couldn't. It was tinnitus.

ChipSandwich Mon 08-Apr-19 00:07:00

Sometimes its the door being knocked but I've even heard my doorbell ring

I've heard the telephone ring, really loud, which I imagine has woken me up but it isn't ringing when I wake. I can tell from the call record that it hasn't rung at all. I've just put it down to dreaming, although it does sound pretty real.

Ilovemypantry Mon 08-Apr-19 00:09:44

I’ve had this too and now feel reassured that it’s not just me! Sometimes I’ve been woken up from a deep sleep by hearing knocking on the front door or the door bell, but of course there’s never anyone there and it’s obviously a hallucination of some kind.
Your mum is obviously feeling lonely and vulnerable now she is on her own and her stress levels are probably high atm. Perhaps stay with her for a couple of nights to reassure her. Sleeping on the sofa will not be good for her long term.

Justaboy Mon 08-Apr-19 00:16:20

I bet as much as you like this is the house doing it! How?, most doors and windows have steel lintels to hold up the brickwork they heat up during the day and cool at night in doing so they move ever so slighty.

In doing so they can and do least ours does make a knock sometimes more of a "crack" as they cool. Heard this in more than the one property.

Water pipes can do it but they are much quieter.

ashvivienne Mon 08-Apr-19 00:16:42

My DM has been on her own a while now and was like this at first and very anxious at night. We bought her a ring doorbell and an amazon echo show to keep by her bed showed her how to use it etc on her mobile and on the show. She’s much more comfortable being upstairs now and we’ve added a camera round the back due to a few attempts at back doors on the street in the last few months as well.

whatwouldyoubelikeat28 Mon 08-Apr-19 00:28:56

It's interesting when people say dementia or Alzheimers, one of the problems if a disorder like this is present is that the phenomenon can be present but the person is disbelieved because of their mental health.
My grandmother had this and she told us stories of being shot at in the back yard, which we dismissed thinking it was throwbacks to the war or whatever. Later on after she moved, we found air gun pellets in the shed in the back yard and realized that one of the neighbors had been shooting at stray cats.
Technically she wasn't being shot at, but also, she really was.
I think it is always best to investigate kindly and with an open mind, she is likely hearing something that is waking her.
Def go stay over for a night or two here and there.

WarCat Mon 08-Apr-19 00:30:28

This was the first symptom of my grandpa's worsening health. It was very distressing for him. I'm sorry but I would assume similar for your mother.

SofiaAmes Mon 08-Apr-19 00:46:01

Which anti-depressant is she taking? Some of them can cause delusions in the elderly. I think sertraline is one of those. It's complicated because it doesn't happen with everyone and some are greatly helped by the antidepressants.

EmeraldShamrock Mon 08-Apr-19 16:44:56

I went through a phase of hearing doors slamming when dozing
I get this too, usually when I am alone with the DC.
I hope your DM finds the source, It is horrible feeling to be frightened.

Dana28 Mon 08-Apr-19 18:57:51

I hear things when I am overtired

EggysMom Mon 08-Apr-19 19:02:52

I occasionally hear phantom doorbells, but never knocking ... I also hear phantom mobile phone text alerts (when mine is the only phone in the house).

padfootprongs Mon 08-Apr-19 19:12:58

I was going to say exploding head syndrome but see it's already been mentioned. I get this and growing up I often complained to my mum about someone throwing stones at my bedroom window...it always seemed to happen as I was about to fall asleep! She obviously had no idea what I was talking about and just said it was the house making sounds. It sounds so real though i never believed that.
I've only realized recently that i have exploding head syndrome and that is what those noises were. Now it either sounds like gunshots or someone knocking at my door. It happens as I'm about to fall asleep, it's something to do with your brain shutting down for sleep I believe.. any way It could well be this that your dm is experiencing. It does sound very similar!

bridgetosomewhere Mon 08-Apr-19 19:26:29

I hear cars and feet crunching on our gravel driveway. It really freaks me out but it must be a dream as it always the same thing in the same place!
And only ever three footsteps. So unless a very heavy footed fox runs across our drive I'm not sure!

hazell42 Mon 08-Apr-19 19:29:15

Could she be having auditory hallucinations. I had an elderly friend who was very deaf during the day but who swore that her neighbours were playing hymns really loudly at night
She lived in a block of flats for the elderly and it is certain that someone else would have heard it too.
Turns out it was an auditory hallucination, common in people who wear hearing aids and people with early alzheimers.
Could either of these apply?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »