Talk

Advanced search

To want tops that don’t shrink?

(22 Posts)
MyHeadIsBursting Sun 07-Apr-19 20:40:46

I can’t seem to get a decent long sleeved T-shirt that doesn’t shrink in the wash! I’ve tried M&S, Next, H&M, George, F&F... they all fit nicely when I try them on but then shrink up in the wash (at 30 degrees) I end up with them only just meeting the top of my jeans which I hate!

Has anyone got any good recommendations? I’ve just had to throw another one out today and I’m fed up wasting money!

Katinkka Sun 07-Apr-19 20:42:50

Watching with interest as I’m also sick of stuff shrinking.

skybluee Sun 07-Apr-19 20:45:12

I used to have this with Tesco, it drove me nuts to the point I'm reluctant to buy any tops from there now full stop.

It's either your washing machine or the places.

It might sound a bit off the wall but have you tried any technical garments or sports/outdoor long sleeved tops? For some reason they don't seem to shrink. For me, it was 100% cotton that was shrinking.

Jebuschristchocolatebar Sun 07-Apr-19 20:45:43

I’ve recently had the same moan about this. I got a few t-shirts in GAP. They were a bit more expensive but they have lasted really well. M&s are awful and I find boden quality has really deteriorated over recently years

mimibunz Sun 07-Apr-19 20:47:38

Just bought a Next blouse that shrunk in the wash! Grrrrrr....

MyHeadIsBursting Sun 07-Apr-19 20:48:11

I haven’t tried sporty/outdoorsy stuff, no. I would prefer cotton/cotton mix but if I can’t avoid shrinkage then I might have to consider it.

kerkyra Sun 07-Apr-19 20:48:46

My primark tops haven't shrunk yet,they're so cheap too.
Fatface have some which are really good quality and so far been fine (that's about as luxury as I go)

MyHeadIsBursting Sun 07-Apr-19 20:49:41

mimi I’m reluctant to buy anything from Next now, I’ve taken a few bits back after they’ve shrunk and got my money back with no hassle.

Lazypuppy Sun 07-Apr-19 20:56:58

Most things need ironing back into shape.

All my clothes shrink a little on 30 degrees, iron them and it adds about 2inches back on.

ILookLikeATramp Sun 07-Apr-19 21:05:01

I don't tumble dry anything as I find that that shrinks clothes.

trinity0097 Sun 07-Apr-19 21:14:00

How are you drying them?

Shrinkage in my house stopped when I stopped tumble drying clothes! Shirts etc get hung out immediately on a hanger or the line if it’s summer.

MyHeadIsBursting Sun 07-Apr-19 21:15:48

I don’t tumble dry anything except towels and sheets. I don’t iron though, maybe that’s where I’m going wrong? I didn’t realise that would make a difference.

Eemamc Sun 07-Apr-19 21:16:19

How are you drying them?

TotalNoob Sun 07-Apr-19 21:20:05

I’ve got several Boden bretons that haven’t shrunk even a tiny bit. Love them. Always washed at 30 and dried on a hanger. Am hoping their summer t shirts are the same quality as I’m planning to get a couple.

TotalNoob Sun 07-Apr-19 21:20:26

I do iron them.

TotalNoob Sun 07-Apr-19 21:23:06

m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-tops-t-shirts/long-sleeved-tops/j0225-stp/womens-ivory_-navy-multi-dot-long-sleeve-breton these are the ones I have although I’ve never paid £28 for them shock Usually around £14 in the sale. Or £20 ish with a code.

MyHeadIsBursting Sun 07-Apr-19 21:27:48

@TotalNoob Boden website have some lovely bretons. IVe never shopped there before, what’s their sizing like? Im usually a 12 in the likes of next etc

HollaHolla Sun 07-Apr-19 21:42:29

I’ve had great tops from Sainsbury’s - especially long sleeved ones.

radgybadger Sun 07-Apr-19 21:44:39

I'm a fan of GAP tops, I'm 5ft 6 but I buy tall as I like them slightly longer. Not had any shrinkage yet...

DappledThings Sun 07-Apr-19 22:13:07

I buy nearly all my stuff from Primark. Never had anything shrink.

TotalNoob Sun 07-Apr-19 22:50:35

I think I’d go for the same size that you get in Next. Or order a selection as it’s usually free returns. They’ve got a size checker thing on the website which is pretty accurate for the stuff I’ve bought. Also the reviews are usually pretty good re sizing info.

DontCallMeShitley Sun 07-Apr-19 23:17:12

I find a lot of tops do this, I buy a size larger than usual, as often there isn't a lot of difference, I also pull them into shape when they are washed, I mean really pull them, not just shape them gently, length, width, and sleeves. Then dry them on a towel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »