Talk

Advanced search

The fucking neighbours and their electric guitars and drum kit

(11 Posts)
OverwateredCheeseplant Sun 07-Apr-19 19:32:23

Need to vent. We live in little Victorian terrace houses. Neighbours have never been very considerate people but thing have got worse in the last year or so.

Mrs Neighbour came up to me in the playground and told me that they’d decided to put a full size drum kit in the kids (two boys age 4 and 6) bedroom. She said it while biting her lip like I know we shouldn’t have done it sort of thing.

When the kids get on the drums it’s bloody awful. Luckily it’s not that often but we have had them hammering away on them and it’s so loud it’s like we are in the room with them. Just before Xmas it was 7.30pm and ds was ill and trying to get to sleep and they were bashing around on them like crazy. I had to knock on their door and politely ask them to stop.

And now they have an amp and electric guitars as well. When Mr Neighbour decides to have an impromptu jam session we can hear it over everything including our tv. I’m sat in ds’ bedroom while he relaxes for sleeping (or tries to) and all I can hear is the song he is playing, every note. A week or so ago at 7.15 am (yes AM!!!) they turned the amp up to full and were fucking about playing the guitar and turning the amp up and down and it was so loud it was vibrating through our whole house. At 7.15am! Dh had just done a late shift til 1am. I ended up hammering on the wall in frustration.

This is the latest in a LONG list of bollocks that had pissed off not only us but the neighbours the other side of them too.

Fucks sake!!!!!!!!

BringOnTheScience Sun 07-Apr-19 19:47:02

Go round and complain in person every time. Speak to the children as well as the parents.

Insist on agreed hours outside which the drums will not be played at all and guitars must be on headphones.

Insist on a max volume for the permitted times (you'll need to work this out for the guitar/amp/speaker combo),

Be very clear that breaches will be logged and formally reported as noise nuisances to your council.

And I say this as parent of a bass player!

Sexnotgender Sun 07-Apr-19 19:54:15

Who the fuck buys a drum kit for a 4 and 6 year old?

Go and ask them nicely to agree to volume and times and if they don't agree report them to the council/ noise nuisance or whatever.

Argh, that sounds hideous.

chocolatefoxes Sun 07-Apr-19 19:55:40

I'm not sure how easy it is to put a guitar on headphones but there's no way it is necessary to have it loud enough so you can hear. Agree with all the things the pp said about max volumes and time limits.

Sexnotgender Sun 07-Apr-19 19:58:10

I'm not sure how easy it is to put a guitar on headphones

You definitely can, just plug them into the amp.

Nearlythere1 Sun 07-Apr-19 19:58:45

Record it or get one of them round so they can hear how noisy it is. If they're not considerate after that, go in all guns blazing.

ILoveMaxiBondi Sun 07-Apr-19 20:03:06

My sons have 2 electric guitars and and a bass, each with an amp. They play every single day. I never hear them because they use headphones every single time. I also don’t permit them to play after 7pm incase any noise or vibrations travels next door. (Despite the fact I hate my neighbours- they’re still entitled to peace!)

Your neighbours are assholes.
Go round and ask them to be quiet every time OP and record it on your phone when it starts. If it persists contact environmental health.

IncyWincyGrownUp Sun 07-Apr-19 20:03:27

They need a practice amp and decent headphones.

Or to stop being knobrashes.

My son practices his guitar daily at 07:00, nobody hears but him as he either has it unplugged or has it through his earphones. It’s not hard.

Notcontent Sun 07-Apr-19 20:08:19

That’s terrible. How can anyone think that’s a good idea?

I live in a small Victorian terrace and am very aware that anything noisy is going to have an impact on my neighbours. For example, my dd plays the piano, but we are very strict about when she plays - never early or late, and no bashing on it just for the sake of it...

Rumboogie Sun 07-Apr-19 20:12:45

Also they really should have got their sons an electric drum kit which can plug in to earphones. Keep a diay, record the noise, amass all the evidence, including the times you have (politely) made it known to them that the noise is disturbing you, then complain to the Council environmental health Dept. After suitable investigation they can hopefully serve a Cease and Desist order, which the neighbours violate on pain of a hefty fine.

BringOnTheScience Thu 11-Apr-19 22:28:56

OP ... how's it going? Have they seen sense & become considerate, or is it an Easter hol nightmare?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: