Talk

Advanced search

to ask...where do you put your used tampons at home?

(476 Posts)
YellowCat3 Sun 07-Apr-19 15:27:44

Okay, I'll fess up...for years I've flushed them [blush. I've never thought too much about the enivronmental impact as I thought it was the same as loo roll, but have recently become aware that I definitely need to stop.

But I don't like the thought of them lingering around the house. We don't have a bin in the bathroom as it seems disgusting somehow, and our only bin is in the kitchen. It seems beyond skanky to put soiled tampons in there. I just wondered what other women do - do you put them straight in the bins outside, or are you happy to have bloody tampons in the bins inside for days? Not sure if I am being OCD about this (probably), but feel puzzled as to the best way to dispose of them?

catisbeingsick Sun 07-Apr-19 15:28:26

Wrap them up in tissue and put in bin in bathroom

harajukubabe Sun 07-Apr-19 15:28:35

I put in a bag and take it straight out to trash

madcatladyforever Sun 07-Apr-19 15:29:16

I always used to flush them. Are they not biodegradable?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:10

Mine are wrapped in loo roll and then go in a nappy bag and into the kitchen bin.

AlaskanOilBaron Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:13

I always hated this part of tampons, was always worried that I'd somehow leave something for the cleaner to see, which led to me keeping little plastic bags in the cupboard to dispose of them. Then I became aware of the issues surrounding plastic waste and got a moon cup, much better.

NannyR Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:47

When I use one, I just wrap it in a bit of toilet paper and throw it in the kitchen bin, I don't use many tampons (usually use washable pads) so the kitchen bin is emptied more frequently than the bathroom one.

TheBitterBoy Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:57

I have a bathroom bin, wrap the tampon in some loo roll, into the bin. Empty the bin into a carrier bag every day or two during period, tie the top, into outside dustbin. It doesn't smell if you empty it frequently, and it's only a few days in the month.

CaramelEmporium Sun 07-Apr-19 15:30:57

I keep some of those biodegradable dog poop bags in the bathroom and use maybe one a day. Bag up and bin.

Bitlost Sun 07-Apr-19 15:31:35

Oh please don’t wrap in plastic bags. FFS.

marvellousnightforamooncup Sun 07-Apr-19 15:31:43

Wrap them in tissue and bin them. Why can't you get a bathroom bin?

I use a mooncup now.

LeekMunchingSheepShagger Sun 07-Apr-19 15:32:32

Wrapped in loo roll and into the bathroom bin.

Not having a bathroom bin is weird...what do visitors do with used pads/tampons?

Doyoumind Sun 07-Apr-19 15:32:44

I wrap them in tissue and put them in a bin in the bedroom. I don't have room for a bin in the bathroom.

TrendyNorthLondonTeen Sun 07-Apr-19 15:32:55

Ooh settling in for this one. This is going to become of those MN threads where anyone who doesn't instantly set fire to them then bleach the whole house afterwards is a disgusting pig.

Spartak Sun 07-Apr-19 15:32:57

I recently swapped to a mooncup. I love it, and wish I'd done it years ago.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 07-Apr-19 15:33:02

Wrap them in tissue and put them in the bin. Our bin is quite small so it gets changed every day or two and it doesn't feel any more rank than the other stuff that gets put in there... definitely don't flush them.

BasilBrushes Sun 07-Apr-19 15:33:04

Wrap them in loo roll and put them in the bathroom bin. Why is having a bathroom bin disgusting? Just empty it.

StarTheGirl Sun 07-Apr-19 15:33:27

If you don’t like mooncups / lunettes/ whatever (I don’t get on with them, as I find them really uncomfortable), then I would really recommend reusable pads from cheeky wipes. I love them.

DisplayPurposesOnly Sun 07-Apr-19 15:33:55

I have a bathroom bin solely used for used sanitary protection. (Everything else I just take straight down to the kitchen bin.)

The bathroom bin is lined and the used sanitary protection goes in a disposal bag; when disposal bag is full, it goes in kitchen bin.

MikeUniformMike Sun 07-Apr-19 15:34:36

If you don't have a bin in the bathroom, what do you do with used dental floss?

PurpleFlower1983 Sun 07-Apr-19 15:34:40

Bathroom bin since I found out last year that you’re not meant to flush them! blush

Ninkaninus Sun 07-Apr-19 15:34:44

I have a bin in the bathroom <hands back MN badge>

I’m not squeamish about perfectly normal bodily functions, and it doesn’t bother me one bit to have something practical like a bin in my bathroom.

If I didn’t want to have a bathroom bin I guess I’d wrap it in a doggy poop bag or a nappy bag or something and put it in the kitchen bin.

PookieDo Sun 07-Apr-19 15:34:50

Small Bathroom bin that gets changed. It has a lid

SallyWD Sun 07-Apr-19 15:35:27

Mine are very well wrapped in tissue and put in kitchen bin. I choose that bin as it's the only one that gets emptied (nearly) every day. I really don't believe it contaminates everything. I make sure it's well hidden, not sitting on the top for everyone to see.

Meandmetoo Sun 07-Apr-19 15:35:35

Wrap in tissue and chuck in nearest bin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »