Talk

Advanced search

Perfume on baby's head

(45 Posts)
frecklesbec Sun 07-Apr-19 09:57:20

Does anyone else with a young baby find it really bloody annoying when people hold your child and give them back to you stinking of perfume? Currently holding my baby son after a friend held him and he stinks of cheap perfume. About to baby wipe his head (which usually smells lovely and baby-like!). Would never say anything as she's entitled to her perfume, but can't help but feel slightly miffed by my stinky baby!

WonderTweek Sun 07-Apr-19 10:30:01

My baby used to smell of fags whenever he was at his grandad's house and I hated it. I guess they now smoke less as it doesn't happen anymore, or maybe it's because he's now a toddler and isn't held by anyone these days as he prefers to run around most of the time. grin He occasionally smells of perfume when he's seen his Nanny but it doesn't bother me anymore - at least it's not cigarette smell. halo

frecklesbec Sun 07-Apr-19 10:31:37

Oh man. Yes I see the difference between cigarettes and perfume! Third hand smoke is pretty yuk and dangerous apparently! Was on BBC the other day interestingly.

Slippershoes Sun 07-Apr-19 10:36:31

Mine used to come back from in law gatherings smelling of a mix of perfumes. It used to piss me off but I think that's because mil and I were having issues at the time and she couldn't have done anything right blush

charmandurrr Sun 07-Apr-19 10:38:11

I'd rather perfume than BO, which one of mine smelt of after a particular relative had a cuddle envyconfused

Goldmandra Sun 07-Apr-19 10:58:16

It's like a clash of logic and instincts.

You know the perfume isn't harmful and means they've been given affection, which is great but, at the same time, your baby smelling right is important. It's a deeply instinctive need that you can't just make go away because it is no longer logical or necessary to their survival.

Those instincts are the ones that help you work out when your child is ill or in a dangerous situation that looks outwardly fine. They help you know what to teach your child, what to feed him and when to comfort him. Accept them as part of being a parent and don't worry about people who put you down for it.

It's PFB but it also happens for good reasons and doesn't mean YAB at all U unless you start imposing rules about who can cuddle your baby.

makingmammaries Sun 07-Apr-19 11:45:01

When my DD was about half an hour old, born in Switzerland, the nurses put perfume on her ‘to make her smell nice’, in addition to giving her sugar water and a sodding funny. I read them the riot act as soon as I was able to get up.

makingmammaries Sun 07-Apr-19 11:45:20

Dummy, not funny

FlossieTeacakesFurCoat18 Sun 07-Apr-19 11:52:21

All the people saying you're being pfb and need to grow up hmm - you do realise we're animals, right? Your baby's scent is fundamentally important to a mother, of course it's going to bother you if they smell of someone else's scent!

Ihatehashtags Sun 07-Apr-19 12:03:50

Ugh yes my mil has the most disgusting perfume. She wears the same one every single day.

Clawdy Sun 07-Apr-19 12:04:01

First world problems, eh?!

SherlockSays Sun 07-Apr-19 12:16:32

YANBU - DD stinks of my mum's perfume every time she has her, and it isn't cheap either.

Schuyler Sun 07-Apr-19 12:21:19

Logically, you know it’s unreasonable but smell has a strong emotional pull. I feel funny when my not-newborn, not-PBF comes home smelling of the childminder. It’s an emotional thing, I get it.

BertrandRussell Sun 07-Apr-19 12:42:13

Horrible language being used “stinking””reeking” “cheap perfume”......

TwinMumSuperHero Sun 07-Apr-19 12:49:31

Definitely not BU. I hate this but I get headaches and sore eyes as I'm sensitive/allergic to perfumes and can't wear any myself. Don't know if the boys are also sensitive in the same way either.
I've had to ask my sister not to wear perfume when she comes over. confused

UserFriendly14 Sun 07-Apr-19 12:51:03

YANBU! MIL is the same with my DS and it just doesn't seem right when he returns home smelling of perfume! All clothes have to go in the wash too!

sweeneytoddsrazor Sun 07-Apr-19 12:55:12

Ha ha we had the opposite. Visitors would arrive smelling of perfume and go home smelling of baby sick. They never grumbled or stopped coming for cuddles.

Goldmandra Sun 07-Apr-19 13:09:17

First world problems, eh?!

Clawdy, are you putting this on all of today's threads or have some achieved your personal criteria for the subject being sufficiently serious or relevant?

MrsXx4 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:12:24

I’m with you OP!! I totally get it!

Thehop Sun 07-Apr-19 13:13:42

YANBU I hate this. I never visit babies with perfume on

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Sun 07-Apr-19 15:32:43

It happens but it's one of them things not worth getting worked up about. You can't tell people not to wear perfume on the off chance they may hold your child.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »