Talk

Advanced search

To hate the term nuanced?

(21 Posts)
Starryskiesinthesky Sun 07-Apr-19 09:20:04

At the moment everything seems to be nuanced and have a narrative to go along with it! I am fed up hearing it! AIBU?

hazell42 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:25:17

Thinking outside the box, in the blue sky, I'd have to say, no you're not.

Its a bullshit way of saying 'complicated problem'.

Corporate speak always makes me think that the speaker has no real clue what he is saying (once had a line manager who did this. Totally crap at his job. Always sucking up to senior managers. The dick)

SaskiaRembrandt Sun 07-Apr-19 09:28:19

It doesn't mean 'complicated problem' and if anyone is using it that way they are wrong.

It means 'subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound'.

ifeellikeanidiot Sun 07-Apr-19 09:30:18

I really overuse the word nuance confused

julensaor Sun 07-Apr-19 09:32:37

I feel the same with the term reaching out to someone.

Camomila Sun 07-Apr-19 09:34:20

I really like both the word nuance and narrative but I usually use them in sociology essays rather than in real-non uni- life.

Oh and when talking about Brexit!

whifflesqueak Sun 07-Apr-19 09:34:40

“Nuanced” isn’t corporate speak. It’s just a normal word.

Starryskiesinthesky Sun 07-Apr-19 09:52:10

I think it has become corporate speak and also is used to mean complicated!

BluishMoon Sun 07-Apr-19 10:00:39

Rhetoric and narrative are my current most disliked words due to overuse

BertrandRussell Sun 07-Apr-19 10:03:46

Nuance isn’t corporate speak. It’s just something we as a society have forgotten about.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 07-Apr-19 10:04:58

Nuance and reaching out do not belong on the same thread.

MuseumofInnocence Sun 07-Apr-19 10:09:23

I’m on the side of those who think nuance is a perfectly normal word (assuming it is used properly). I think the world benefit from a lot more appreciation of nuance

StrawberrySquash Sun 07-Apr-19 10:12:18

It's a normal word being used in corporate bollocksy ways.
I used to work with people who constantly talked about finessing thing. Translation: it's shit. Need to fix it.

Slowknitter Sun 07-Apr-19 10:14:16

Just because something is a proper word, that doesn't stop corporate types twisting its meaning and adopting it for their own management-speak.

Skyzalimit Sun 07-Apr-19 10:18:13

Hmm, it depends on the contextual details

Skyzalimit Sun 07-Apr-19 10:20:38

Seriously though, it's a mistake to reject nuance. That leads to stereotyping and it's also what landed us with Brexit. Ie, we were invited to vote on an entirely unclear proposition.

malmi Sun 07-Apr-19 10:26:50

Let me check and revert to you tomorrow.

wafflyversatile Sun 07-Apr-19 10:29:08

Depends. I mostly see it in response to people putting forward overly simplistic arguments so it's perfectly valid.

Slowknitter Sun 07-Apr-19 10:29:20

Being irritated by the overuse or misuse of the word has nothing to do with rejecting the actual concept though. I am often irritated by the misuse of the word 'literally'. That has no effect on how I view 'literalness'.

CalamityJune Sun 07-Apr-19 10:30:20

@MuseumofInnocence Hear, hear!

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sun 07-Apr-19 10:32:20

I like the term nuance, I find myself writing it a lot in my ministerial submissions. It's definitely a word that can be applied to the academies programme. I also use complex, which sounds a bit simplistic add a descriptor but covers a multitude of sins wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »