Talk

Advanced search

Sunday routine - AIBU to ask what's yours?

(38 Posts)
Poppyputthekettleon Sun 07-Apr-19 08:40:36

I really like the idea of having a Sunday routine to make the most of the day, too often I feel I'm wasting it on the sofa and before I know it it's 6pm and I've done nothing, does anyone have a routine to enjoy the lazy (or not so lazy) day?

ILiveInSalemsLot Sun 07-Apr-19 08:46:58

Our routine is ds football in the morning or just getting out for a walk, bike ride, swim or park when the season ends.
Then get any chores or outstanding homework done.
Chill out time
Early dinner (usually easy everything in one dish roast chicken)
Film and dessert

SuperPixie247 Sun 07-Apr-19 08:50:39

Depends if my DS has been to his Dads. If he has then I will have a lie-in, do some chores, put a wash on etc. Then go pick him up for 12. Do food shopping if needed, go to the park or for a walk around the lake, usually something outdoorsy.

Some weeks, DS will spend Sunday day and night with his dad and I have the Sunday to myself so will usually do some chores, catch up on some TV, take a long bath, generally doss about!

Girlicorne Sun 07-Apr-19 08:51:50

we always go out for the day, sometimes preplanned and booked sometimes just whatever we fancy doing in the morning. DH usually stays home and does a roast. in the evening I do the ironing from the week, make sure we have lunch stuff in, make sure the kids have showers and their bags are ready, put out uniforms and my work clothes for the week and catch up on any outstanding work and prepare for the week ahead. I m self employed so it's not like I do this on my time. so no routine really til the evening, I like to be up by 10 and out by 11.

BiscuitDrama Sun 07-Apr-19 08:52:45

Do you have pets/children that need anything doing or is it just up to you?

lisasimpsonssaxophone Sun 07-Apr-19 08:53:24

Spin class in the morning unless it’s been a heavy Saturday night, but those are rare nowadays! Then make a nice breakfast/brunch and maybe go to the cinema in the afternoon. Tesco delivery arrives at 6pm and we have dinner before getting everything ready for Monday morning.

I don’t have kids, which is probably obvious!

madmother1 Sun 07-Apr-19 08:57:25

My DP goes off for a cycle ride with the local group at 8.30am. I'm meeting up with friends for a walk/lunch. Then, we're off to meet family for an early evening dinner. My adult DC will come and go as the please, so I don't have to worry about them. I might do a bit of housework too. DP prepares the lunches for tomorrow later on.

Chickaletta16 Sun 07-Apr-19 08:58:06

I'm off to the gym now !! Then will cook a lovely dinner and go to my mums later on with kids as we have family over. I then have a hot date later tonight 😍

madmother1 Sun 07-Apr-19 08:58:54

Although......if my DC are about and DP out.......we have a doing FA day on the sofa!!!

Poppyputthekettleon Sun 07-Apr-19 08:59:01

@biscuitdrama we have a cat no children yet, cat spends her Sunday napping smile

ChidiAnnaKendrick Sun 07-Apr-19 09:00:22

DH and I take turns to lie in. Whoever sleeps in has brunch in bed made for them - 95% of the time this is bacon based, though this morning I’m just doing eggs.

We don’t rush to go anywhere on sundays. DS3 hasn’t got dressed on a Sunday in months grin But the weather is perking up so I’ll be dragging him down to the beach/NT places etc soon. We tend to just have a wander, let the kids play at some sort of park and then get them ice cream. In the autumn we went swimming every Sunday but DS1 & DS2 have been complaining about being taken away from screens, but can’t be trusted home alone 🙄

Pop to see my Mum in the afternoon, then home for a Roast. I tend to do a roast even in the summer, though it’s usuallt chicken or gammon so we can have with salad.

Sunday is my absolute favourite day of the week!

Poppyputthekettleon Sun 07-Apr-19 09:00:44

I like the idea of doing a weekly roast, getting motivated is the hard part which is why I like the idea of a routine

Fatted Sun 07-Apr-19 09:02:58

We don't really have one. It's this only day of the week the whole family is off together, so we do try to do things that 'family' time like a day out, or go to the cinema and have food out if it's bad weather. Sometimes we just chill out inside. Then in the evening DH hides in the kitchen to watch the football in peace on his phone cooks dinner, then the kids have a bath and we get uniforms and stuff ready for the week ahead.

Submariner Sun 07-Apr-19 09:04:12

To be honest I like having a lazy day. It's nice to have a day that isn't structured. Sunday is the only day my alarm doesn't go off, the kids get telly in the morning (only on Sunday) and I make something 'posh' for breakfast, usually mainline a pot of tea and listen to 6 music at the same time. After that it varies what we do but usually involves eating/drinking and relaxing. Bit of chores, bit of reading, maybe a walk. Lush! grin

anothermansmother Sun 07-Apr-19 09:05:17

Get up, potter put some washing in etc, then start to make breakfast. One child is always awake whilst I do that and the other is usually woken by the smell of bacon. We then get ready for church, meet up with friends and either go to the park: for a walk food. On weeks when it's terrible weather we come home and watch a film, I do some planning or marking for work and iron uniforms. By 5 I check everything is ready for school the next week, then veg out in front of the tv. If I haven't got everything sorted by Sunday evening it completely throws my week.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 07-Apr-19 09:07:02

As the shops don’t open until 11, I take DD 20 months to soft play at 9.30am (sounds early but if you’ve been up since 6 it’s not too daunting)- after play it’s home, lunch etc.
If you don’t have kids I’d be curling up on the sofa with some decent snacks!

Taffeta Sun 07-Apr-19 09:12:00

Teens here

DH takes DS to referee football most Sunday mornings

DD and I have a quiet lazy morning

Often she'll have a shower, do some homework whilst I potter making lunch or ironing whilst watching Sunday Brunch

Afternoons DS will spend glued to the screen hmm but this likely (hopefully) to be punctuated by some revision

They'll be some afternoon gardening (both DH & I), DH will spend all afternoon outside unless it's pissing down and then we might pop to the local pub for a drink, leaving the teens at home.

Other times a parent will be over, or we might have friends over for lunch.

massistar Sun 07-Apr-19 09:13:00

Watching DS or DD play rugby in the morning then home for lunch. Read the Sunday papers, maybe a walk or a cycle if the weather is nice or down the beach. I play netball on Sunday evenings! Love Sundays!

ifoundthebread Sun 07-Apr-19 09:15:20

Go to my mother's with the kids for Sunday lunch, then round to my grandparents house where my aunts also visit on a Sunday afternoon. Sometimes it's done the opposite way round depending what shift my mother is working.

SimonJT Sun 07-Apr-19 09:17:20

Get up 8 and make pancakes with fruit for breakfast.

We watch crappy kids TV until about 9.

At 9:30/10ish we either walk to the park to play a bit of football etc, or go to softplay id the weather isn’t very good.

We eat out on Sunday as a treat, so we then walk/get the tube to where ever I have chosen.

When we get home my son has free time, which he can do whatever he wants (within reason) for an hour. Then we’ll do something together, colouring etc.

We have a cheat dinner (something naughty), then sit on the sofa and watch a film before it is his bath time.

sar302 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:19:17

Before we had s toddler, our routine was lie in, sex, make brunch or go out for brunch. Wonder round London for a bit. Make noises about going to the gym, but actually put Netflix on. Look at recipe books, buy ingredients and make an amazing dinner.

This morning we both woke up at 6.50 despite the fact that our toddler unbelievably slept in til 7.30. And now it's business as usual with him throwing rice crispies around.

Lie in, have sex and eat good food... that's what child free Sunday's are for...

EggysMom Sun 07-Apr-19 09:22:04

If DS wakes early, we'll go trampolining at 10 (special needs session). He didn't wake early today and I'm not rushing him, so that's off the agenda.

Late morning I'll generally bob out to the shops, different shops to usual (think Wilko, Home Bargains, Iceland) for an hour. Sometimes DH & DS will come with me, particularly if there is a B&Q need that week.

Sunday dinner is either around 3pm (if BIL is here) or 7pm (if no BIL). I like the 3pm dinners because DS will eat with us; but it can seem a rush sometimes, and both DH and I struggle to eat a full meal at that time of day.

If BIL has been here, then there's a car-ride for DS around 5pm to take BIL home. DS likes car rides smile and I like driving, so it's a win-win.

And that's pretty much it. I consider Sunday as my day of rest, so nothing really gets planned.

Chilledout11 Sun 07-Apr-19 09:22:18

Luckily dc are still asleep here (4 and 5!!)

Usually go to aldi. Cook a roast or steak. Sometimes NT or visit grandparents. We need to plan a bit more I think.

Today i might do some gardening- have lots of new containers and nice shrubs.

myothernameismyrealone Sun 07-Apr-19 09:22:45

If children are likely to feature in your future, I'd make the most of being able to do whatever took your fancy that week and not tie yourself to any expectations ! These days, with two under 5s, Sundays are either some jobs in the house, batch cooking, occasional lunches with friends or family or little outings to a park or farm or whatever.

In the good old days, before children, Sundays would be lie-ins, coffee in the garden, meeting friends for Sunday lunch (we use to have a Sunday lunch "club" and try different places every month), reading in bed, maybe DIY or possibly something cultural. Or I could stay in the pub all afternoon. Aaah happy memories grin

myothernameismyrealone Sun 07-Apr-19 09:29:47

And as per a PP, if we had nothing on, we'd amble to the shops (usually have a coffee on the way) and pick some lovely food to cook for dinner, either a roast or trying out something new. Cooked at a leisurely pace, with a lovely chilled wine. I love my children to death, but I've had four hours sleep as one is ill and the other is whining they're bored as we're staying in. God I miss those Sundays!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »