Talk

Advanced search

To think I may be experiencing coil perforation?

(15 Posts)
Tealtights Sat 06-Apr-19 23:16:41

I will try to be brief.

Copper coil in for 5 years no issues.

Last month spotted almost continually in between periods, not normal for me. Bleeding worse after sex.

Went to Drs referred for further tests next week (think they're treating me as if I've had an abnormal smear)

Thursday morning wake up to very painful rectum spasms (proctalgia fugax I believe it's called) extremely tender in the pelvic area the rest of the day.

3 days later I'm better but very bloated and pelvic area sore to touch.

I should add I'm on my period too, day 6, but still getting fresh dark blood which is not normal for me I've usually stopped by now, more than spotting.

Could this be a coil issue? (Got another Drs apt next week). I've googled coil perforation but this seems to happen soon after fitting?

stephstrops Sun 07-Apr-19 11:53:00

I got an infection after I’d have a copper coil for 8 years. It led to sepsis and then a complete hysterectomy.

Tealtights Sun 07-Apr-19 12:08:12

Sorry to hear that, that sounds awful. What were your symptoms? I feel fine in myself, if I start getting feverish etc I will ring 111. But it's a localised pain at the moment.

CaptainCabinets Sun 07-Apr-19 12:16:48

How old are you, OP? Any new sexual partners?

I’m a gynae nurse x

Tealtights Sun 07-Apr-19 12:20:15

Thank you for your reply. No I've only ever had the one partner and the same for my DH (so he says ha, I've told him I'm being tested so now is the time to speak up haha) I've got tests next week checking for chlamydia, pregnancy and to see if the coil is in place. All this pain came after my Dr apt, when I saw her I was just getting spotting and post coital bleeding.

Tealtights Sun 07-Apr-19 12:20:40

Oh and I'm 30

CaptainCabinets Sun 07-Apr-19 12:25:03

Is the pain worse on one side or the same?

Tealtights Sun 07-Apr-19 12:35:06

I've been getting a bit of light pinching pain to the left this morning but overall all it's been a general pelvic pain.

PetSematary Sun 07-Apr-19 12:48:32

Hi OP I joined just to say I had almost exactly the same symptoms around 5 years after getting the copper coil. An ultrasound showed that yes it had lodged in to one side of my uterus. It was removed (and replaced with a Jaydess hormonal IUS) shortly after and no problems since.

I can’t say if you have the same but please don’t suffer in silence. My doctor was strangely in denial about there being a possible problem, and I only got the ultrasound to check it was still there as the strings went missing.

Tealtights Sun 07-Apr-19 12:56:24

@PetSematary thank you, I'm more concerned about it being acted upon quickly as they have referred me for a colposcopy and tbh I'd rather avoid an invasive experience like that if they have yet to eliminate what seems to be a more obvious possibility. I've never been able to find the threads so I haven't been able to check myself. I've always been a bit nervous about the Mirena as I don't handle hormonal contraception well. I have no idea what I will do if the coil is the problem.

Tealtights Sun 07-Apr-19 12:56:52

@PetSematary also, how did they remove it? Was it painful?

PetSematary Sun 07-Apr-19 15:02:01

I am no medical professional but with my previous experience I would push for an ultrasound - or if they refuse just ask for them to remove it so you can eliminate it as a potential cause. It took over six months of increasingly unbearable pain before I got them to take it out because I was so worried about what I’d do without it - I could have kicked myself for waiting so long in the end.

My IUD wasn’t too badly lodged so they just pulled it out and I’m sure I would have been fine to have a new copper coil put in if I had insisted (I did ask and they were initially reluctant). As it was, my doctor recommended the Jaydess as it has lower hormone doses than traditional IUSs - though doesn’t last as many years. She said if I didn’t get along with it they could change it again to a copper. I too was very worried about hormonal options because I’d had lots of issues with constant spotting and low libido previously with the mini pill and implant but I’m very happy with the Jaydess and my periods are now extremely light.

iolaus Sun 07-Apr-19 15:05:36

Mine perforated about 18 months into it being there

Ended up with surgery to remove it from my abdomen, was up near my belly button somewhere - doctors were surprised I wasn't in more pain - I'd only gone because I was fed up of the constant bleeding - after a long time of none

Tealtights Mon 08-Apr-19 10:57:12

So I've just tested positive for pregnancy (took a test after having sharp pains on one side) so I guess ectopic pregnancy is a possibility now. Seeing a Dr this pm.

iolaus Mon 08-Apr-19 18:29:06

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: