Talk

Advanced search

Who is being unreasonable?

(24 Posts)
Merryoldgoat Sat 06-Apr-19 17:08:34

We are home with DS who has Chickenpox - we’re on day 3 so not scabbed over yet.

DH is nipping to corner shop and told DS he can go. I said ‘no’. DS isn’t now upset because he’s absolutely stir crazy (he’s 6).

DH is fine but didn’t think it was a big deal to take him.

Am I mad? You don’t go out with contagious Chickenpox, do you?!

Is this one of those things that’s changed since I was little?

Am aware this isn’t a massive deal but I’m curious as my baby will clearly get it next and I’ll have the same nonsense for another week or so.

CandyCreeper Sat 06-Apr-19 17:09:48

Im a lone parent, I had no choice but to go out when my kids had them 🤷‍♀️

Merryoldgoat Sat 06-Apr-19 17:14:14

@CandyCreeper

I totally get that and to be clear, I’m not judging.

It’s just when he clearly doesn’t have to take him out.

IncrediblySadToo Sat 06-Apr-19 17:17:37

I’d have probably suggested we all go and DS could stand outside with me if it was here as we are unlikely to see anyone else. Where we lived in London I’d have said no as it was busy. I’d take him for a walk in the woods to puddle jump and run about (again we wouldn’t really see anyone) but not to a play park where he’d be touching the play equipment.

Merryoldgoat Sat 06-Apr-19 17:20:43

We’re in London in a very family-have place - he would 100% run into other children and probably babies.

Stargazer888 Sat 06-Apr-19 17:21:39

Don't go. Why risk it?

Biancadelrioisback Sat 06-Apr-19 17:22:12

I thought they were only contagious before the spots appeared?

OhioOhioOhio Sat 06-Apr-19 17:22:30

Well I'm a lone parent too. Definitely avoid it if you can. You know piriton stops the itching.

ny20005 Sat 06-Apr-19 17:22:48

No ! You have no idea if he will come into contact with someone else who has medical issues & chicken pox could cause them very serious issues

There is no need for him to go out so keep him home until slits have all scabbed over

Merryoldgoat Sat 06-Apr-19 17:26:18

Thank you.

I definitely kept him home as there was no requirement for him to go out.

Yes to Piriton and we’re avoiding ibuprofen too.

JollyAndBright Sat 06-Apr-19 17:28:07

I may be a little bit biased but YANBU.

It shouldn’t matter how well he seams in himself he is still ill and shouldn’t be going out. it’s not just about the potential to infect others but it may cause him to feel worse.

Bringbackthestripes Sat 06-Apr-19 17:32:25

As you were at home and DS didn’t have to go out DH is unreasonable putting others -babies, pregnant people or immunosuppressive people -at risk.

www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/chickenpox

Merryoldgoat Sat 06-Apr-19 17:34:46

DH entirely accepts he was daft and brought me a Wispa Gold and popcorn.

Goodenough06 Sat 06-Apr-19 19:03:08

You did the right thing. There are a lot of children or even adults out and about whose immune systems are just not strong enough to cope with chicken pox. Having been the mum of an immune compromised baby and fearing leaving the house in case of him catching something...I thank you!!

Friedspamfritters Sat 06-Apr-19 19:08:50

YANBU what if he infects a pregnant woman? You only go out if there is absolutely no alternative.

DingTheBell Sat 06-Apr-19 19:21:30

I saw on fb today apparently a bath with head and shoulders as bubble bath really helps sooth angry chicken pox... not sure if it's true but thought I'd pass it on (there were before and after pics which looked convincing)

polarpig Sat 06-Apr-19 19:24:37

YANBU, he needs to stay at home.

Needcoffeecoffeecoffee Sat 06-Apr-19 19:26:31

Yes you did the right thing and glad your dh realised - and you got a wispa gold!

Playing in the garden of you have one helped my dd especially water play and then a warm oat bath to warm back up again of it was chilly and to gide all the clothes time to dry out

If you don't have a garden do any friends or relations who have had chicken pox let you use theirs.

Bit of a long shot - Not sure where you live but if you have a safari park they are great for chicken pox provided your ds doesn't leave the car. It is out and feels a treat but not in contact with anyone. We followed it up with a drive through mcds which really cheered dd up.

Needcoffeecoffeecoffee Sat 06-Apr-19 19:27:13

*if not of (x2)

IncrediblySadToo Mon 08-Apr-19 18:15:38

We’re in London in a very family-have place - he would 100% run into other children and probably babies

🙄 the man’s an idiot!

But at least he realises it 🤣 and brings 🍫

Hope DS is back to normal soon!

HollowTalk Mon 08-Apr-19 18:17:22

I think you could take him to the park, though, and let him have a runaround. As long as he's not too close to other children they'll all be fine.

Merryoldgoat Mon 08-Apr-19 20:45:33

DS is heading to PIL tomorrow - he’s absolutely fine - just spotty.

I’m awaiting the baby getting it which is inevitable - I hope he’s as robust as the older boy!

cardibach Mon 08-Apr-19 20:55:57

I thought they were only contagious before the spots appeared?
No, Bianca. They are infectious for 1-2 days before spots appear until all spots have scabbed.

avacadooo Tue 09-Apr-19 13:51:34

Please don't take kids out that have chicken pox! I'm pregnant and have never had them so live in fear of catching them!!
Few years ago before I met dh he got them while working in a restaurant because someone took their child in with them and he was really ill for weeks afterwards and had to get his mum to take care of him because he was that ill, he never takes a sick day unless I force him too and never complains when he's sick so it was really bad, his mum even said he looked like hell.
It's not worth risking others health for no reason.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »