Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed at how fully grown adults can't understand they're being unreasonable/hypocritical?

(13 Posts)
CitrusDreams Sat 06-Apr-19 15:03:59

AIBU to be annoyed at how fully grown adults can't understand they're being unreasonable/hypocritical?

No one's perfect of course but I find it so weird that fully grown adults can be incredibly hypocritical to the point they're raging at you doing something when they've done the exact same thing or worse to you?

e.g. living in a houseshare, someone had the laundry in the washing machine overnight without taking it out (it had completed early evening yesterday) and when they did, a few minutes later, I put mine into the washing machine and another housemate came in, looked gutted, virtually almost growled at me, stomped out and slammed the door to the point the whole house was shaking as I walked past. Seems so ridiculous considering it's first come first serve and the entire hold-up was due to someone else in the first place. I've been in her situation many a time but while I'd be a bit annoyed internally, I'd never get so visibly angry about it..!

Or others who'll take 55 mins in the bathroom but if you take as much as 25 mins when they need it, they'll be knocking and complaining..

I don't think even as a child, I've ever been hypocritical to such an obvious extent..!

marvellousnightforamooncup Sat 06-Apr-19 15:07:35

YANBU. Most of us suffer a lack of self awareness at some point but some do more than others. House shares can be a nightmare. I made friends in mine but I was so glad when I left.

JustAWaferThinMint Sat 06-Apr-19 15:12:22

I’d have just removed the other person’s clean clothes from the machine and used it last night or whenever.

hazell42 Sat 06-Apr-19 16:52:10

All adults are hypocritical. Yabu if you think you're not.
You might be annoyed by something one day that you breeze right over on another day. Our mood changes. Our priorities change. Our tine constraints change.
Some days we are an arse. Some days not.
You too, I'm sure.
Suck it up.

ForalltheSaints Sat 06-Apr-19 17:23:29

The House of Commons has 650 or so of them.

breeze44 Mon 08-Apr-19 08:02:18

Ime there are certain people who, rather than thinking the same rules apply to everyone, put people into levels instead. People on the top level are allowed to do whatever they want as they are automatically considered to be 'good people' regardless of what they do. Whereas people on the bottom are criticised even for asking for fairness.

Such people don't see themselves as hypocritical. They think people slagging them off behind their backs is unacceptable but think they have the complete right to do it to others.

If their best friend's husband cheats on them, the woman he cheated with is vilified. But if the best friend is the one doing the cheating, then suddenly cheating is fine.

It's extremely difficult to deal with such people.

NeverTwerkNaked Mon 08-Apr-19 08:04:52

Why didn’t any of you just take the clean washing out of the machine?

ivykaty44 Mon 08-Apr-19 08:07:55

House meeting and set down some guidelines between you all

Particular days for laundry or you can remove laundry from machine and pop in basket

Time set for bathroom use no more than 20 minutes etc

echt Mon 08-Apr-19 08:08:39

OP, what you're describing is not hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy is when you claim a set of standards of behaviour all the time, yet behave differently in respect of the same standards.

The growly stomping person was just being an arse.

SandyY2K Mon 08-Apr-19 08:10:57

Common sense is not that common surprisingly.

MorrisZapp Mon 08-Apr-19 08:21:16

My mum is an absolute shocker. She reminds me of Siegfried from All Creatures Great and Small. She can tear a strip off you for some annoying thing one week, then literally the next week get annoyed at the exact opposite thing.

I was visiting once and shouted through to her in the kitchen. Cue sniffy rant about how we don't yell from room to room, and if you want to talk to her, kindly go to the room she's in. Fair enough.

I visited the following week and she offered me a cup of tea. She brought it through to me huffing and puffing because she didn't know if I wanted the teabag out or in, and I didn't bloody answer when she shouted through.

OK mum wtf.

longwayoff Mon 08-Apr-19 08:42:08

Have a word with your housemates as MN can't alter their behaviour.

itbemay1 Mon 08-Apr-19 10:59:13

I would have taken the washing out the machine and put mine in. It's no biggie and they might even thank you for and learn from your ways wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »