Talk

Advanced search

To eat leftovers that were out overnight?

(38 Posts)
Pinkcar21 Sat 06-Apr-19 08:10:49

Last night I went to bed early, leaving a covered tupperware of steak, potatoes and veg to cook down. Before I went to bed I asked my boyfriend to please make sure he put it in the fridge for me as he was staying up late anyway. He promised.

Went downstairs just now to find it sitting out. I’m on quite a strict nutritional plan atm for my health issues and that food was my breakfast and I don’t have anything else. The kitchen was quite cold and the lid was on.

Basically I’m asking any proper grown ups - can I eat this food or will I die???

I’m worried about food poisoning but also am in that weird emotional state where the leaving out of leftovers is almost making me cry.

WingBingo Sat 06-Apr-19 08:11:36

I’d eat it. Just reheat it properly.

HarrysOwl Sat 06-Apr-19 08:14:25

Yes I absolutely would, just re-heat thoroughly until 'piping hot'.

The only thing I wouldn't eat leftovers of that hadn't been in the fridge is rice.

zigzagbetty Sat 06-Apr-19 08:14:48

It will be fine, just heat it through properly

Aimily Sat 06-Apr-19 08:15:11

Morning!! I'd eat it, you know it was throughly cooked and being left on the counter over night won't hurt... Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow, but right now you'll be ok.

If it helps I've been known to eat take away pizza the morning after and it's been in the box over night... Actually, I made a song vol Wednesday night and left that on the job to cool when I went to bed, took it to work with me Thursday and had it for lunch, I'm still alive and healthy smile

Marmite27 Sat 06-Apr-19 08:15:34

I wouldn’t think twice. I’ve just boxed up last nights leftovers and put them in the fridge for lunch.

Aimily Sat 06-Apr-19 08:15:47

Sorry spag bol not song vol 🙄

Pinkcar21 Sat 06-Apr-19 08:16:46

Ok thank you all, I’ve put it back in the fridge, was that right?!

If anyone needs an insight into my mood right now it’s very much the woman from the Mitchell and Webb sketch where her husband left the fridge door open..

BlueMerchant Sat 06-Apr-19 08:17:08

Eat. No prob

Aridane Sat 06-Apr-19 08:17:46

It’s fine!

Doyoumind Sat 06-Apr-19 08:17:53

I wouldn't think twice either.

Pinkcar21 Sat 06-Apr-19 08:19:25

Okay will definitely eat! My mum is very much in the “throw it out” camp but my steak! My beautiful steak!

Swishswish26 Sat 06-Apr-19 08:19:35

Definitely eat it, it will be fine.

Pinkarsedfly Sat 06-Apr-19 08:46:45

I dint think my mother ever put leftovers in the fridge. The remains of the Sunday joint either lived on the worktop or, if she was in a tidy mood, she’d stick in back in the switched-off oven. Same went for the Christmas turkey.

I’m not dead yet smile

TroysMammy Sat 06-Apr-19 08:48:56

We are all going to die and what a great way to go after a lovely steak grin. You'll be fine.

Pinkcar21 Sat 06-Apr-19 09:51:42

I’m about to cook the leftovers. If you don’t hear from me by this afternoon, I’ve gone to the great steakhouse in the sky..

Coulddowithanap Sat 06-Apr-19 09:56:40

I'd eat it.. even eaten rice that's been left out (had some for dinner yesterday actually and still alive) .. of course I heated the rice so it was piping hot as I would with other left overs.

TheGrey1houndSpeaks Sat 06-Apr-19 09:59:59

Mumsnet always makes me realise I have serious food issues blush

CakeNinja Sat 06-Apr-19 10:00:17

I’d eat it if not for the fact that I don’t think steak reheats nicely!! But regarding germs and whatever, no problem for me.

MaggieAndHopey Sat 06-Apr-19 10:02:06

I'd worry about the steak, because if it was cooked right, it wasn't cooked all the way though, so any lingering bacteria would have had the opportunity to multiply at room temperature. The potatoes and veg wouldn't bother me.

MaggieAndHopey Sat 06-Apr-19 10:02:41

(and as someone else points out, steak would be bogging if you cooked it again surely)

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 06-Apr-19 10:05:45

Sorry but no would not eat it... just not worth the risk of food poisoning.

Pinkcar21 Sat 06-Apr-19 10:15:42

Oh god I’ve just eaten some steak before I cooked it..I don’t mind steak reheated, I’m frying it in a hash. I have it well done anyway so it is cooked.

MaggieAndHopey Sat 06-Apr-19 10:21:14

ach you'll probably be fine, esp if you like it well done. Don't want you to worry!

Pinkcar21 Sat 06-Apr-19 10:34:13

Well I’ve eaten it now (and given some to the cat..) so I’ll keep you posted 😉 the most thrilling post of the weekend.

Food poisoning: live!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »