Talk

Advanced search

to ask how to amuse a 13 year old boy with a broken arm?

(25 Posts)
DrSeuss Fri 05-Apr-19 13:49:28

So, school holidays start this afternoon. I had planned a mixture of trips (laser quest, trampolines/high ropes))and home based stuff (cooking/baking/housekeeping tasks/walks) in order to avoid a two week long Youtube and X Box fest with my thirteen year old son.
Except that he broke his arm four days ago. He now has a break clean through his humerus which is not in a cast but is supported by a collar and sling arrangement. This obviously makes the arm even more delicate than a cast would be.

If anyone has any suggestions for activities for the holidays which do not cost the earth (the trampolining etc had holiday offers so wasn't too bad) and which are accessible to a one armed child who cannot risk being bumped or falling, please tell me! Baking might work but he'd need a lot of help. Swimming is completely out. A walk would only work if there was zero risk of a fall (we live near some lovely walks but they all involve styles and so on) and if we could go straight home if the pain flares up.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. At this rate, it will be Youtube and one handed X box for the next two weeks!

DrSeuss Fri 05-Apr-19 13:51:51

The cinema, obviously but there are only two films he wants to see. That's not going to fill much time. He loves reading but obviously won't do that for two full weeks solid.

justasking111 Fri 05-Apr-19 13:51:52

Stick to you tube and x box. I say this as a mother with 3 boys who loved doing stuff but broken bones meant they were all laid up at one time or another. One drank through a straw for a while (broken jaw)

Cinema with a friend.

DrSeuss Fri 05-Apr-19 13:54:34

Thanks, Justasking! Do your boys play rugby, by any chance?

OhioOhioOhio Fri 05-Apr-19 13:55:26

I have 3 boys. Any other tips you can share?

Toooldtocareanymore Fri 05-Apr-19 14:18:10

tricky, could you invite a friend or two over one day for some popcorn and a movie , they can chat or xbox together, at least it will seem a bit different to your ds and you're around to keep an eye on him, is it his writing / typing arm or not? maybe you could sign him up to some online coding course my nephew did one when he was home with glandular fever, it was work at your own speed and he got a cert at the end. Other idea depend what's near you, days out like zoos and aquarium's should be fine.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Fri 05-Apr-19 14:48:35

home based stuff (cooking/baking/housekeeping tasks/walks) - really ??

AdaColeman Fri 05-Apr-19 15:05:45

Montana Red Dog (or any card game).
The Ordnance Survey Puzzle Book (The Book People often have this on offer)
Does he play chess?

GregoryPeckingDuck Fri 05-Apr-19 15:10:29

Art galleries, museums, theatre/concerts, farm tours, national trust properties, coffee and meals out. N.B. I was born middle aged so I may be completely wrong about this

justasking111 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:23:37

Dr.Seuss grin yep jaw was rugby, other injuries, rugby, surfing, kite boarding. Proper little action men like their Father (rolls eyes)

Youngest is surfing in fuerteventura this week with school, I will not relax until he is home again. Am watching messenger like a hawk because he checks in at night so I can lurk without being thought a nuisance parent. If that little green circle does not appear I will be pacing the floors.sad

1Wildheartsease Fri 05-Apr-19 15:27:51

Good suggestions on here.

I'd say that this is what ''gaming' is for smile

DonPablo Fri 05-Apr-19 15:30:18

Well, it's time to learn to play poker, gin rummy, bridge. And any other board games. Scrabble, ticket to ride, rummikub, boku are all good too.

And get I to a good boxset together?

bingoitsadingo Fri 05-Apr-19 16:13:15

What else is he interested in? He could try learning to code, use photoshop, make websites, etc?

DrSeuss Fri 05-Apr-19 18:48:23

Plain speaking- yes, he likes cooking and baking and was keen to try his hand at a few new things. Why is that strange? I hope that he will have his own home one day so he'd best learn these things. Walks, yes, we live near a National Park. I'm not talking round the block, I'm talking about big hills! The housekeeping tasks such as cleaning and gardening would not be his choice but his parents work full time to give him quite a nice life so tough.

Chess sounds good although I am rubbish at it and his dad will be at work. Are there sites where you can play other people? Board games and card games sound good, too, although sibling rivalry may cause problems! Coding sounds good. Any sites in particular?

It seems the electronics may have to be in use more than I hoped but never mind.

DrSeuss Fri 05-Apr-19 18:50:06

Will investigate a box set or two as well.He can do Photoshop and websites already but could have a go at those, too.

Scrowy Fri 05-Apr-19 18:56:05

plainspeaking hmm never heard of Paul Hollywood then?

Leeds2 Fri 05-Apr-19 19:03:34

Would he be interested in signing up to one of those genealogy sites, and researching his family tree?
Trip to a safari park.
If you have booked a summer holiday, get him to research what you will do when you are there. If you haven't, and are planning to go away, give him a budget and let him make suggestions.
Complicated jigsaws.

bookmum08 Fri 05-Apr-19 19:11:06

He might roll his eyes at this but how about jigsaws? Maybe set a challenge to who can complete a 500 piece one first.
Is it has writing arm? Those grown up colouring books are actually quite relaxing. You can get ones that are Star Wars/Marvel characters type as well as fancy patterns.
Lego can also be done one handed (just about).

bookmum08 Fri 05-Apr-19 19:13:01

his writing arm!

PotteringAlong Fri 05-Apr-19 19:14:23

I agree with everyone else; there are holidays to worry about a variety of activities and there are times when it doesn’t matter. This is one of those times!

flowers hope he feels better soon

BlueSkiesLies Fri 05-Apr-19 19:14:43

Just let him on his x box!

BlueSkiesLies Fri 05-Apr-19 19:16:13

If he has JUST broken it he mighty not even really be up for going out to anything even if it is gentle like cinema, restaurant or anything.

BluebellCockleshell123 Fri 05-Apr-19 19:19:07

How about an Escape room? My 13 yr old son loved that and its not usually very physical so should be safe to do. You can get some deals on Groupon.
Maybe a new board game as well? Mine love Scotland Yard and Ticket to Ride.

GreyGables Fri 05-Apr-19 19:22:23

Could you look up podcasts or audiobooks eg of funny stuff like Hitchhiker’s guide to the Galaxy? (Big hit with friend’s 14 year old recently)

DrSeuss Sun 07-Apr-19 21:15:21

Thanks to everyone for their great suggestions. Will try the board games/card games route and have bought Game of Thrones in CEX yesterday. He is just resting a lot as a very nasty accident was involved but gradually brightening up. Enjoying GOT though! Also gaming /watching Youtube a lot but never mind, there's always next holiday for the exciting stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »