Talk

Advanced search

To have intervened and embarrassed neighbours’ DD?

(68 Posts)
ThomasRichard Fri 05-Apr-19 13:45:58

I just got up, looked out of my window and just saw my neighbour’s teenage DD get smacked in the face by a boy. They were standing in a big group, laughing and messing around but it was quite a whack. I watched and thought of texting NDN but a few seconds later he grabbed her by the hair and yanked her around. I ran out, asked him WTH he was doing and told him not to touch anyone like that ever again. He denied it and mouthed off, NDN DD did the teenager dying of embarrassment thing, but he moved on.

WIBU? If it had been my DD I’d have been out there in a shot.

Sarahjconnor Fri 05-Apr-19 14:16:44

Thanks for sticking up for her OP. She might be embarrassed and hate you now but hopefully the message will stay with her and she will think it over and maybe even avoid these situations in future, not laugh, find her voice, stand up for herself.
Thanks for not turning a blind eye and putting yourself at risk to defend her. You did the right thing.

SunshineCake Fri 05-Apr-19 14:17:44

Next saw her.

Mrsjayy Fri 05-Apr-19 14:18:44

I had to gointo school when one of mine was early highschool because some boy was throwing her about of course it was for a laughhmm but really Dd didn't find it funny but wasn't able to articulate why she didn't like it

Lllot5 Fri 05-Apr-19 14:18:59

I think you did the right thing. I would’ve done the same.

Kobea Fri 05-Apr-19 14:19:50

You did the right thing, if I'd have watched that happen I would have done the exact same and to be quite honest I don't think I'd have been able to stop myself getting hold of the horrid little prick. If I were you I'd try to get hold of his parents too because I would be absolutely disgusted and mortified in my son if he acted that way towards a woman.

Raspberrytruffle Fri 05-Apr-19 14:20:01

I'd like to think if it were my daughter that someone would step in, thankyou op x

LakieLady Fri 05-Apr-19 14:20:48

Well done, OP, you did exactly the right thing. Better to be embarrassed than hurt, imo, and hopefully she'll take a leaf out of your book and not tolerate this sort of shite.

I'd have given the boy a piece of my mind too, in the hope that he might think twice about assaulting girls and women in future.

Still18atheart Fri 05-Apr-19 14:22:34

Yanbu. She might be in embarrassed now but won’t be for long and thank you for it. Also good idea to let parents know

FookMeFookYou Fri 05-Apr-19 14:23:15

A little bit of embarrassment is nothing compared to a lifetime of feeling it's better to keep quiet and let ppl treat you this way. You absolutely did the right thing.

Hope she is ok

werideatdawn Fri 05-Apr-19 14:27:13

You did the right thing OP. When I was about 10 a slightly older boy grabbed me by my neck and punched me in the head "play fighting" I wish an adult had seen and intervened. I just laughed it off sad

Springwalk Fri 05-Apr-19 14:42:27

You have absolutely done the right thing.

purpleleotard Fri 05-Apr-19 14:43:40

Well done
You deserve a reward

GregoryPeckingDuck Fri 05-Apr-19 14:44:33

You need to tell her parents. If she lets boys get away with assaulting her she’s just as likely not say anything if she’s raped. Her parents need to be taking better care of her until she gets more mature.

IWriteCode Fri 05-Apr-19 14:48:15

I join the chorus of voices that say you did the right thing.

TinselAndKnickers Fri 05-Apr-19 14:49:32

She might be "dying of embarrassment" now but as she gets older and grows up, she will be really grateful for you sticking up for her and remember it. Well done OPthanks

Smelborp Fri 05-Apr-19 14:50:07

Hell yes you did the right thing.

UniversalAunt Fri 05-Apr-19 14:54:39

You did the right thing.

adaline Fri 05-Apr-19 15:09:52

You absolutely did the right thing. His behaviour could (and should) and him with a criminal record for assault.

cfmagnet Fri 05-Apr-19 15:15:34

You definitely did the right thing, well done for taking action. Too many people second guess themselves in these situations and their hesitation means that they miss the opportunity to intervene and send the message that it's unacceptable. Also, as a mother of a pre-teen DD, thank you. I worry so much about things like this happening, it's good to know there are people like you who will get involved when necessary.
I remember when I was 13, myself and a friend were walking home from secondary school and ended up surrounded by a group of older teens. They started off "jokingly" taking our bags and throwing them around and it escalated to them pushing and shoving us around and a much older boy slapping me across the face, grabbing my breasts and rubbing his groin against me. Several adults walked past and did nothing to help. Eventually, a car pulled up next to us and a young woman jumped out and verbally tore strips off them while bundling the 2 of us into her car, which had her baby in the back. The poor woman was so upset she was shaking and in tears. She wanted to take us to the police station but we begged her not to so she drove us both to my house and waited until we were inside and waving from the window before she pulled away. She left a big impression on me and I'm sure you'll have done the same for your teenage NDN, even if she doesn't realise it yet. cake and flowers for you, you lovely woman.

DeRigueurMortis Fri 05-Apr-19 15:20:14

You did the right thing OP.

Don't doubt it.

I'd also tell her parents what happened.

Hidingtonothing Fri 05-Apr-19 15:21:02

Absolutely the right thing to do OP, well done flowers

Happynow001 Fri 05-Apr-19 15:21:33

Text sent. I expect they’ll be over later after work. Poor kid.
Well done OP - no doubting you did the right thing and, even if she felt temporarily embarrassed by your actions, I bet she was grateful.

Often people - especially young people/young women in particular want so badly to belong they aren't able to stand up and defend themselves.

Hopefully you've sown those seeds for her, which may well be very useful to her as she goes through life.

SabineUndine Fri 05-Apr-19 15:24:09

Very good that you texted the parents. If the DD thinks that sort of behaviour is ok from a 'friend', her parents need to have a chat with her about self-esteem too.

spongedog Fri 05-Apr-19 15:24:43

yes another here to say well done, you did the right thing. I also do think if they were in school uniform you should tell the school. (Rather than the parents or theirDD, as you witnessed the behaviour).

AllTheFunAndGames Fri 05-Apr-19 15:26:26

You did the right thing and it was very brave of you. I'd imagine her Dparents will be upset but glad you intervened.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »