Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to be irritated by apostrophe abuse in the MN newsletter?

(57 Posts)
satine Thu 12-Jul-07 18:27:13

Exhibit A: "photo's"

Am I a sad pedant who needs to get out more?

LittleLupin Thu 12-Jul-07 18:36:50

LOL yes (but you are right, tut tut MNHQ! )

DiagonAllieBongo Thu 12-Jul-07 18:37:48

yanbu. it irritates the hell out of me, as does excessive use of exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amidaiwish Thu 12-Jul-07 18:49:01

i HATE apostrophe misuse

not that i am a grammar pedant myself... like to use... rather than any other grammar, on mumsnet chat anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(! for diagonalliebongo)

moondog Thu 12-Jul-07 18:51:22

Tut tut

I found some dreadful examples in the Farrow & Ball catalogue of all places and took huge enjoyment from telling the mabout it. They pride themseles on being so classy.

Ellbell Thu 12-Jul-07 18:55:16

YANBU. Apostrophe abuse should never be tolerated

Mind you, some people put an apostrophe in photo's [sic] to show that there is an '-ograph' missing. (Like people who write 'bus, because it's an abbreviation of 'omnibus'.) Still wrong imho, though! (Just the one exclamation mark, alliebongo.)

FluffyMummy123 Thu 12-Jul-07 18:55:30

Message withdrawn

Ellbell Thu 12-Jul-07 18:56:00

Ahem... I mean, of course, that there is a '-graph' missing... (photograph, not photoograph!)

satine Thu 12-Jul-07 19:11:54

What does 'yabu' or 'yanbu' mean?

I don't know whether to be pleased or not...

Ellbell Thu 12-Jul-07 19:12:46

You Are (Not) Being Unreasonable

satine Thu 12-Jul-07 19:14:14

Thankyou!!

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Jul-07 19:25:33

Well interestingly as someone who "proofs" the newsletter I wavered over this and thought perhaps it was indeed the correct way of writing photos to indicate as Ellbell said the graph bit missing...

Perhaps someone could come back with definitive answer? I did English but that means nowt in terms of grammar (as in they just assumed everyone learnt it at school and therefore left us all to it).

If it is an offence it's at least an honest faux grammatical one, rather than an its it's etc howler, no?

runawayquickly Thu 12-Jul-07 19:27:31

I couldn't give a toss about the newsletter. I do care, however, when a note from school comes in with the legend "PLEASE REMIND CHILDREN TO BRING THERE PE KITS".

carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Jul-07 19:28:46

Now that's what I call a proper howler - maybe you should send back with red pen and must try harder

MadEyemarthamooDy Thu 12-Jul-07 19:35:16

I'm not sure either. Can't find anything by googling - but photo's (to indicate the missed out graph bit) does make sense. Maybe it's one of those where it was photo's originally and we've lost the apostrophe over the years. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt anyway, Carrie.

popsycal Thu 12-Jul-07 19:37:38

oooh no apostrophe
nonononono

CalifrauniusFudge Thu 12-Jul-07 19:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ellbell Thu 12-Jul-07 21:35:46

The apostrophe should not be there, Carrie. It is analogous to writing 'bus (for [omni]bus). But 'photos' is now so accepted as a word in English (as, indeed, is 'bus') that the apostrophe is unnecessary, and could indeed be misleading ('the photo's what?).

MrsJohnClaireCusack Thu 12-Jul-07 21:49:31

although you can use an apostrophe for abbreviation such as CD or DVD, you don't need to and also I'm not sure photo counts, as it's accepted - as Ellbell says...
according to here "The only case where you do need an apostrophe for the plural is with special words and expressions which are not usually found in the plural (and as such should probably not be used in your writing). For example: No if's or but's, get off to bed now!"

am now off to get a life

elasticbandstand Thu 12-Jul-07 21:51:04

i can't believe people would put 'bus!
although i put 'flu

satine Thu 12-Jul-07 21:51:29

I have to admit, I didn't think of the missing -graph aspect. I assumed that it was an incorrect pluralisation (eg "CD's", "carrot's"). So I apologise for leaping to an insulting conclusion.

WendyWeber Thu 12-Jul-07 21:53:03

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

One photo, two photos. Tsk.

Ellbell Thu 12-Jul-07 21:53:24

elasticbandstand, surely it should be 'flu', as there is both an 'in-' and an 'enza' missing!

Also, MrsJCC, you can use the apostrophe if making letters plural; e.g. 'It is important to watch one's p's and q's when meeting the Queen'. It's not obligatory with capital letters ('Ps and Qs' would be OK), but it is with small letters.

God, I am so sad... Note to self... Get a life, woman!

elasticbandstand Thu 12-Jul-07 21:54:40

shame on me, you are quite right,
'flu'

AttilaTheMum Thu 12-Jul-07 21:56:36

But would you write photo' to indicate the missing -graph in the singular? (In the same way as you might write tho' for though?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now