Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at the rise in my Tesco's home insurance?

(30 Posts)
extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 09:26:19

Just found out that my Tesco's home insurance has risen by 384% shock

We have made no claim on it whatsoever, low crime rates, etc.

Guy on the phone has no idea why it has risen so much, but there has been no mistake apparently.

Needless to say, I will be looking elsewhere. Any recommendations, please?

TheSpottedZebra Fri 05-Apr-19 09:27:51

Just do a price comparison and see what you can get.

HarrysOwl Fri 05-Apr-19 09:29:22

Register with Topcashback and go through their links - you'll get the cheapest quote & cashback to boot.

I get about £1500 casback each year as I use the site for everything and I switch every insurer (home, car etc), internet provider end energy supplier every year.

over50andfab Fri 05-Apr-19 09:29:47

Try price comparison sites. I use moneysupermarket, but also use comparethemarket and get meerkat movies and meals

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 09:31:48

Thanks for these tips. Following them up now!

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 05-Apr-19 09:31:55

They don't want to insure you any more. Was it very low before and they have a new minimum premium, for example you were paying £50 a year and it's gone up to nearly £200 per year?

It was on the news this morning that people are being punished for loyalty and you have to shop around for better prices. Companies were complaining that people shopping around was costing them money and I commented to DP that we don't do it for fun and if they offered decent prices to existing customers we would stay with them instead of trawling the internet for better prices.

Tomtontom Fri 05-Apr-19 09:34:27

Mine went up 40% and I thought that was bad!

There's definitely no minimum amount. They're just relying on people not shopping around.

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 09:35:34

They don't want to insure you any more. Was it very low before and they have a new minimum premium, for example you were paying £50 a year and it's gone up to nearly £200 per year?

That could be it. We were paying £170 a year before.

Ilikethinkingupnewnames Fri 05-Apr-19 09:39:45

Tesco have also stopped selling travel insurance, wonder if they are trying to give up house insurance as well.

Tomtontom Fri 05-Apr-19 09:39:49

My premium is still half your old one. There's no minimum!

OnlyFoolsnMothers Fri 05-Apr-19 09:42:51

Zurich home- had two claims in the last five years, each totalling c.£15k and my renewal has never gone up by more than £30

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 10:00:08

OnlyFoolsnMothers
Thanks - I looked up Zurich, but they are not taking on new accounts at the moment sad

Our home is stone-built. I don't know if that has any bearing. It is not listed or anything like that.

thenightsky Fri 05-Apr-19 10:04:35

We had Nat West house insurance and it tripled last year. We rang them up and said we'd been quoted xxx by another company (think it was Admiral) and they immediately dropped it to that lower price! We still didn't go with them as DH was so angry that they'd had the cheek to quote the triple price in the first place, given how quick they were to drop it when we rang. Cheeky Fuckers.

Same issue last week with RAC cover. Double last year, dropped to less than last year when we rang and queried it.

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 10:06:17

Thanks, thenightsky - yeah, they're just trying it on, aren't they? CFs indeed.

buzzbobbly Fri 05-Apr-19 10:07:28

Anything non-standard is a bit of a PITA for standard insurers. They just don't like it very much. I'm wondering if someone like NFU might be more open to stone buildings, given their farming roots? Aside from the usual comparison/cashback trawl of course.

(Like how Saga insurance doesn't like insuring younger drivers so gives ridiculous quotes to try and head them off at the pass).

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 05-Apr-19 10:09:58

Stone isn't non standard confused. Half the houses in the country are built out of stone.

Non standard is pre fabricated, timber framed, that sort of thing.

quietcontentment Fri 05-Apr-19 10:10:21

Just one for thought OP, I have just renewed mine. I was with Churchills, last year it was £117 this year it is £129. I have checked the comparison sites I have got with LVE for £107, but did also check ASDA's website and was quoted £224 and LLOYDS site which was £134.
Even LVE was £10 more on one comparison website than the one we went through in the end.
Shop around op the differences can be huge, I change insurer every year and have kept it under £120. I was with LLOYDS one year and their renewal jumped up £70 and all the could do was knock £20 off, thats when I switched to Churchills.

buzzbobbly Fri 05-Apr-19 10:12:12

Stone isn't non standard

I meant compared to Barratt Box estate homes with brick walls and tiled roofs.

(one of which I live in myself, so I'm not being snooty! grin )

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 10:13:28

Our house is TINY too - just two bedrooms and all the rooms are very small.

SouthernComforts Fri 05-Apr-19 10:14:46

Sometimes they just don't want to insure you anymore. I was a named driver on my dads car for years for around £250. I bought my own car, phoned them for a quote and it was £4000. I did a price comparison and got insured for £600. 🤷‍♀️

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 10:16:20

I was a named driver on my dads car for years for around £250. I bought my own car, phoned them for a quote and it was £4000

shock OUCH!

SouthernComforts Fri 05-Apr-19 10:17:55

Yeah I was actually laughing with the guy on the phone. It's as close to refusing to insure me as it gets, and he admitted that. They just price you out.

extremehydration Fri 05-Apr-19 10:20:05

Oh my! So I''m unwanted? LOL! I guess I can understand why they do it.

DP on phone to NFU at the moment...I heard him that "THAT much?" so it's not looking good I don't think! grin

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Fri 05-Apr-19 10:21:43

I had the same with Twatmiral!
No claim in 2 years, but it has risen considerably. I just moved to a different company.
Twats

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Fri 05-Apr-19 10:23:08

Just yo add. Twatmiral was ever so kind to offer £10 off when I mentioned I found cheaper quotes🙄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »