Talk

Advanced search

Are 111 calls noted on medical records?

(25 Posts)
hemingwayy Fri 05-Apr-19 08:07:20

When I was at university I met my boyfriend who was really into EDM and drugs culture. We were a terrible match as I'm a bit square but I took a few pills with him (completely out of character).

I had a terrible experience one time, my bf dumped me at my flat at left. My flatmate called our group of friends who used 111. I spoke to a lovely dr who was very sympathetic. Anyway, I am so embarrassed, will this have been noted on my medical records?

I gave all my details including my Dr's surgery. I was in London for university but didn't register with my university surgery as my parents live in the home counties.

I'm too afraid to look!

hemingwayy Fri 05-Apr-19 08:09:28

I was totally out of my mind. I remember I was crying and recounting how I was groped on the tube. Would the dr/nurse I spoke to have noted that down?

Whatad Fri 05-Apr-19 08:10:47

Yes, I think they are.
Your GP will usually get a report through (though mine seems to only read through them when I appear in surgery for an appointment - I recall one day her asking me 'so you could be pregnant?' I was like - Eh no. 'Well it says here on the 111 report that you may be?' I was like - Eh - that's because they asked me could I be pregnant and I told them that it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility!!!' 'Oh, ok'. Lol (felt like a bold child).

hemingwayy Fri 05-Apr-19 08:11:48

Oh no!

Whatad Fri 05-Apr-19 08:12:06

Not sure how much detail they go into - I suspect they get the report of your answers to the long litany of questions they ask you with a brief summary of the complaint - not a verbatim report of what you've said.

ChiaraRimini Fri 05-Apr-19 08:12:38

I'd be amazed if this incident had been recorded on your medical record held by your GP OP as the NHS is not that joined-up, it would not have automatically been linked to you.
You sound very anxious about this, is there any reason it is particularly bothering you?

janinlondon Fri 05-Apr-19 08:13:10

Yes it will be in your notes. It is not unusual for a GP to follow up a 111 call in the days immediately after. But if this was a long time ago I doubt anyone is going to plough through your records looking for it!

killpop Fri 05-Apr-19 08:13:54

I think they are recorded. Why do you want to hide it?

BrokenWing Fri 05-Apr-19 08:14:39

Of course the call will be on your medical records, whenever you contact the NHS for medical advice via GP, A&E or 111 there will be a record.

How much detail is in the record depends on the person that took your call.

MadisonMontgomery Fri 05-Apr-19 08:15:39

Yes, we get a 111 report which is scanned onto your records. They aren’t usually terribly detailed though.

Bankofenglandfiver Fri 05-Apr-19 08:15:42

Yes, usually in my experience. Why are you so concerned?

hemingwayy Fri 05-Apr-19 08:16:09

ChiaraRimin I will need to provide a copy of medical records to my prospective university (hope to study postgrad in US).

Redglitter Fri 05-Apr-19 08:16:23

Yes they do. I've had to call them a couple of times & the details have gone back to my GP. I think though it's just the reason you called & what they recommended or what treatment you got. I don't think they'll quote everything you said.

Chances are though your GP will have just had a brief look at it when they get it. I wouldn't worry about it especially if it was a while ago.

hemingwayy Fri 05-Apr-19 08:17:13

It was 3/4 years ago, probably have only seen the GP one time since.

Whatad Fri 05-Apr-19 08:17:31

I doubt that they will require a full copy of your medical records? Sure that could be like War and Peace!! Surely a summary from your Dr is enough for them?

hemingwayy Fri 05-Apr-19 08:19:24

My brother's medical records were only 4 A4 pages long. He needed his for flight school.

claireblueskies Fri 05-Apr-19 08:25:03

Not sure. My GP records and hospital records are completely separate (for reasons I'll never understand).

Oysterbabe Fri 05-Apr-19 08:27:29

You can request a copy of your records so you can see but whenever I've called 111 for the kids then their Dr was aware.

Peterpiperpickedwrong Fri 05-Apr-19 08:43:16

I suspect they get the report of your answers to the long litany of questions they ask you with a brief summary of the complaint - not a verbatim report of what you've said.

^ yes this. They don’t write everything you have said just what the main problem was and how you answered the questions.

Butterflycookie Fri 05-Apr-19 09:01:14

Yeah your gp surgery gets notified. ( I work for 111)

BrokenWing Fri 05-Apr-19 09:05:43

I doubt they will have noted your embarrassing ravings about. I would be more worried they noted illegal drug abuse.

ChiaraRimini Fri 05-Apr-19 09:06:04

OP, you need to ask the GP surgery for a copy then or pop in to see the GP and explain the situation.
It may not show up on your record at all or it may be written up as sthng vague.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 05-Apr-19 09:15:13

Yes GP will have been informed of the call to 111
No recent hospital admissions medical or psychiatric that’d impact on US study.you’re not reporting chronic or ongoing conditions
You seem to be saying your in otherwise In good health,is that right?

I’m not minimising in the least but you're not the first (or last undergrad) to have been intoxicated and emotional. It’s not a character flaw or failing it’s simply an emotional event.

Take a breath and have a think,your academic record is the main action here. Good luck with application - how exciting and what an opportunity

Divgirl2 Fri 05-Apr-19 09:23:29

Due to my job I spend all day looking through medical records. Yes they'll get a summary but it's brief. It will say something like "Pt intoxicated and distressed, reported taking drugs".

If you're interested request a SAR from your GP.

ChristmasFluff Fri 05-Apr-19 17:15:11

You can request your records from your GP to have a look at - forewarned is forearmed and you can be prepared to explain the event if needed.

Depending on when this happened, it may well not have made it onto your GP notes. I know of many incidents via self and friends in the 2007-12 period that definitely didn't get put on the GP records, and as an ex NHS employee, I know the vast limitations and imperfections of the old IT systems. No experience recently, but hopefully you aren't talking recently.

But your GP practice will be happy to let you see your notes to be sure (though it might cost a fee)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »