Advanced search

To ask for help re insurance?

(6 Posts)
homeishere Thu 04-Apr-19 19:19:29

I did a search for ‘insurance’ in the talk categories but couldn’t find anything, so I apologise for posting here...

I’m part way through claiming on my plumbers’ insurance after he made a mistake. Long story short, I’m almost at the point of getting the money. The loss adjuster has told me that the plumber will pay me his excess, as ‘he isn’t insured for the first £500’ (this being his excess). So the insurers will pay the rest.

I’m unhappy with this, as would rather just deal with the insurer. I’ve been assured this is standard practice. I’m sure I’ll get the £500 from the plumber eventually, but it’s a little annoying and will lead to chasing/pestering on my part. FWIW I still use this nap for my plumbing and would rather keep things cordial etc.

Does anyone have any experience of claiming on a tradeperson’s insurance? This is my first time. Is this normal? Thanks.

homeishere Thu 04-Apr-19 19:20:01

*chap, not nap

AwkwardPaws27 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:48:15

If he has an excess of £500, he needs to be the one to pay it. The insurance aren't going to pay it, that's what an excess is...

LoopyLou1981 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:51:33

Yes, they’re correct. The excess is the plumber’s responsibility. Any over that is dealt with by the insurance company.

fluorescentorange Thu 04-Apr-19 21:56:34

I worked in insurance for 10 years, albeit many years ago. In the past the insurance would pay the full amount to the claimant once the plumber had paid his excess to them, a claimant would not need to claim from the insured direct.

homeishere Fri 05-Apr-19 08:37:33

Thanks all. I assumed it was like car insurance. Where you deal only with the insurers, and not the party at fault. But I can see it might be different.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »