Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why women don't rule the world?

(91 Posts)
Imsosorryalan75 Thu 04-Apr-19 18:09:02

When you consider that the majority of crime, violence and war in the world is organised and committed by men.
I wish women had a chance of being in the driving seat for a change.

BloodyDisgrace Fri 05-Apr-19 14:13:09

I think it's because women say too many "sorries" and "excuse me"s and budge out of a man's way. First one needs to train oneself into thinking you have a right to be here, take space, and enjoy yourself. Or quite audible "I haven't finished yet!' at a work meeting. (had to do it only once, but it worked miracles ever since)

Imsosorryalan75 Fri 05-Apr-19 21:02:51

Why is my post seen as 'man bashing' hmm I certainly didn't mean it that way.
Just wondering what the world would be like if the majority of world leaders were women instead of men.
Maybe office hours would also be different if child rearing were seen as a more important job and the importance of flexible/family friendly hours. Instead of the typical 9-5 or longer roles that are more likely to be filled by male employees.

gamerwidow Fri 05-Apr-19 21:35:14

What would be even better is if child rearing wasnt seen as just a woman’s job and men took a proper share of the childcare role. More men need to be SAHDs and to go part time and take the career hit rather than it bring assumed the mum always has to. Men need to be supported at work to share the load of raising a family in the way women have had to. If needs to be as common for a man to be the main carer as it for a woman.

AngelsSins Fri 05-Apr-19 21:55:44

Because most of the technology we depend on was invented by men. Sorry but that's the truth

How do you know? Because history tells you? I suggest you look a little deeper. Women weren’t allowed to own a patent until fairly recent history, so any woman that invented something, had to have it registered by a man. Women also weren’t allowed bank accounts or to own property, were legally barred from certain industries where inventions might be created, could be legally sacked once married or pregnant but had no access to birth control. Men made it impossible for women to succeed.

A perfect example is one you gave yourself, the plane. It wasn’t created by two men, it was created by two men and a woman, their sister. But she’s the one who was written out of history so that people like you can believe that man can claim they invented everything.

longwayoff Fri 05-Apr-19 21:58:44

Er, I think you'll find we're too busy?

Fr3d Fri 05-Apr-19 22:13:41

I do think there has been huge change even in the last 30 years. Lots of dad's doing school runs around here, some SAHD's whose dw's work FT. Jacinta Arden having a baby and taking some maternity leave while PM. Having children doesn't rule out ruling! Ireland had female presidents for 21 years in a row, both of whom had children. Like everything, there will be good and bad male and female politicians.

The80sweregreat Fri 05-Apr-19 22:15:56

I know of two 'stay at home dads '. Kids are primary school age.

Most other mums are a bit suspicious of them. Comments such as ' being kept by his wife is wrong' ' kids need their mum' 'it's not right' etc etc. They will have as many barriers to do this as women will and I still see more females than males doing drop off at breakfast club.
Most men wouldn't want this set up although I can't see anything wrong with it myself.
Until there's a bit more equality and less judgemental thinking I can't see the bulk of child rearing being a mans job even if they might be better at it! People still think in a ' traditionalist way' more than you think.

Fr3d Fri 05-Apr-19 22:18:44

Thankfully it's a bit more open minded here, despite being rural and traditional in many ways.

BogstandardBelle Fri 05-Apr-19 22:19:01

Why would we want to? Seriously, what’s the advantage to ruling the world?

Fr3d Fri 05-Apr-19 22:20:25

Even the after school club has male and female staff, teachers are male and female and currently the TA's are all male

Fr3d Fri 05-Apr-19 22:26:01

Satisfaction from making a difference? Achievement? Get your name in the history books? The £££ and pension? Power? Liking for non-stop abuse and complaints?

AngieBolen Fri 05-Apr-19 22:32:26

Because women tend to want to be with their young children if possible, while men tend to want to go out and hunt/gather/earn.

Any parent in a senior position has had to delegate childcare to spouse/family/nanny because it's virtually impossible to do both.

When women can't or don't want to spend more time with their babies than be at work, (as has been the case for the majority of men in the past) then women will start to rule the world.

GoldenWonderwall Fri 05-Apr-19 22:46:26

LuYu fab post.

It’s so easy to say women don’t want success/ aren’t cut out for success/ don’t work hard enough for success/ are better behind the scenes than being the success and on and on. We can then feel ok with our lot and/or beat ourselves up about not trying hard enough.

When girls/women do do better than men en masse society whines that the system is too feminine, it holds men down, it’s unfair and unreasonable. When it’s the other way around it’s how it should be, it plays to everyone’s strengths, it’s fine.

If we want equality we’d need 100s of years of women making all decisions and owning all wealth and property to even it up before we start again on an equal footing. Really we want and society needs genuine equity of opportunity and we’re still nowhere near that.

Collectingcpd Fri 05-Apr-19 22:53:47

Maybe office hours would also be different if child rearing were seen as a more important job and the importance of flexible/family friendly hours. Instead of the typical 9-5 or longer roles that are more likely to be filled by male employees.

This will never work because there will always be people (male and female) who don’t need flexible working arrangements (because they don’t have children/elderly parents/something else) who are prepared to work 60+ hour weeks and climb the greasy pole.......I certainly know which ones I’d rather employ.

I’m really encouraged by this thread........I’m so tired of the ‘us against them’ battle that seems to be regularly trotted out, and how nothing is fair for women. Women do have equal chances, but they also have choices, and as many on this thread agree, until they decide that their job is more important than their children they aren’t going to conquer the workplace, and many of us are ok with that.

gamerwidow Sat 06-Apr-19 09:43:05

Women do have equal chances, but they also have choices

Do they though? Unless they have a partner who agrees that the woman's work is important as the man's work and they are prepared to share work at home 50/50 then women's choices are an illusion.

Fr3d Sat 06-Apr-19 13:36:13

You can choose who you marry (usually!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »