Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why women don't rule the world?

(91 Posts)
Imsosorryalan75 Thu 04-Apr-19 18:09:02

When you consider that the majority of crime, violence and war in the world is organised and committed by men.
I wish women had a chance of being in the driving seat for a change.

MIdgebabe Thu 04-Apr-19 18:12:31

But that’s why women don’t rule the world, if push comes to shove, the man with the biggest shove wins.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 04-Apr-19 18:24:42

Women in here can't agree on how many portions a chicken is... 🤷‍♀️ Imagine trying to agree on international policies.

Joking aside. There are women in a driving seat. We have female PM, albeit in a bad time, there are female presidents, CEOs, women are opening small business which later grow right, left and centre. Angela Merkel, Sheikh Hasina, Kitarovic and now Caputova and tens more women are presidents or PMs.
It's on a right path.

Tomtontom Thu 04-Apr-19 18:28:08

People need to be in power because they're capable, not because of their gender.

And our two female prime ministers have been hideously bad.

Alsohuman Thu 04-Apr-19 18:30:27

Having read some of the posts here open mouthed, I doubt it would be much of an improvement.

33goingon64 Thu 04-Apr-19 18:36:09

Tomtonton - have a look at manwhohasitall on Twitter and (hopefully) see your words in a whole new light.

Northernparent68 Thu 04-Apr-19 18:36:24

Which women did you have in mind ? Diane Abbott, Theresa may, the Labour mp who was convicted of perjury ?

PengAly Thu 04-Apr-19 18:38:47

How sexist of you OP. You don't fix an issue by creating another one.
In case you werent aware we should be striving towards a society based on equality not women above men or man above women. Sadly mumsnet seem to be lacking in their knowledge as they see feminism as man hating.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 04-Apr-19 18:41:11

@Tomtontom and @PengAly

Amen and Amen!

gamerwidow Thu 04-Apr-19 18:41:56

Traditionally women didn’t have positions of power because they are physically weaker and they have to look after the children.
This led to most of history where women were pretty much property belonging to their fathers and then husbands. Society is built for men it’s going to take a long time to turn those attitudes round but we will.

gamerwidow Thu 04-Apr-19 18:44:36

P.s. yes of course people should be given opportunities based on their abilities but we need to make sure we remove the barriers to women taking up those opportunities.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 04-Apr-19 18:46:22

I actually the society is ready. But women aren't.

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 04-Apr-19 18:46:34

*I actually think...

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 04-Apr-19 18:52:19

The power behind the throne is far greater than that that sits upon it.

PengAly Thu 04-Apr-19 18:57:21

I actually the society is ready. But women aren't.

Why should women be in charge instead of men? Thats just fuelling sexism from the opposite angle. Women AND men should both be in charge. We will never progress unless society start agreeing equality is the way forward

InspectorClouseauMNdivision Thu 04-Apr-19 19:02:28

Sorry @PengAly
I meant the society is ready for women in high positions. Not ONLY women. I agree it should be equal and based on skills and ability to do the job.

CountFosco Thu 04-Apr-19 19:11:14

It's on a right path.

Women have had rights given to them and taken away throughout history so we can't assume things are going to keep getting better. Victorian women had fewer rights than medieval women.

Women don't rule the world because men are on average taller, stronger and more violent.

RuggyPeg Thu 04-Apr-19 19:50:48

The patriarchy and mysogeny. Both of which can be seen in action on this thread already.

Alsohuman Thu 04-Apr-19 19:53:36

Or even misogyny.

RuggyPeg Thu 04-Apr-19 19:58:12

Thanks also. I knew it didn't look right! or even POYP

Alsohuman Thu 04-Apr-19 20:02:27

You’re welcome - and very, very reasonable not to take offence!

MockerstheFeManist Thu 04-Apr-19 20:08:47

Which women did you have in mind?

Prof Margaret Macmillan is a sceptic. The female leaders we have had have tended to be as much of a bunch of warmongers and/or social vandals as the men: Thatcher, Mrs Gandhi, Eva Peron, Golda Meir, the Dowager Empress Cixi?

RuggyPeg Thu 04-Apr-19 20:19:24

Probably because they're trying to fit a conventional mould that would be publicly acceptable to the masses.

PaperFlowers4 Thu 04-Apr-19 20:30:26

Regarding female leaders, the whole system of leadership is designed by men, so the only women who rise to the top tend to be ones who play by the man-made rules exceptionally well, see Theresa may, Margaret thatcher etc.

If women were in charge en masse (rather than the odd woman here or there) the whole system I suspect would look entirely different, though I’m not imaginative enough to describe what it might look like.

In every society men are more violent than women, this even holds true among the higher apes. Women just don’t seem to have the same drive towards pillaging and plundering and stripping the earth of all its resources to the same level that men do. Certainly, there is no evidence demonstrating such, in any society, across time and space. This itself is an explanation of why women don’t rule the world

Imsosorryalan75 Thu 04-Apr-19 20:32:27

Some of you are totally missing the point. Which is that men have had the power to make political, environmental and societal decisions for generations. Yes, we've had token women along the way but imagine a world where women are the majority in power.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: