Talk

Advanced search

universal credit opting for part time.

(9 Posts)
alaric77 Thu 04-Apr-19 17:54:51

I currently work part time (recently made single parent)and get tax credits although looking for more hours. When im moved to UC my friend said you can still work part time if you choose to but you would only get the least amount of UC the same as you would if working full time (this is if you don;t actively look for more hours and are happy with your part time hours) I couldn't afford this but she will be fine as she gets a lot of money from her child dad. inlaws and her own parents! I'm not sure she is able to do this however but she seems sure. Is this right? Panicking a bit in case i cant find full time work and the minimum amount would be better than nothing i guess?

CatToddlerUprising Thu 04-Apr-19 17:58:03

www.rightsnet.org.uk/universal-credit-full-service-guidance

Have a ready if the guidance called Work Allowance and Earnings Taper

Imustbemad00 Thu 04-Apr-19 19:57:59

That’s not true. I work 16 hours a week. I get my wage, and £1200ish UC, that’s rent costs too.
The more I earn the more my UC goes down. For every extra £1 earnt 67p (I think) I’d reduced from my universal credit.
If I work more hours, and earn an extra £100 a week I’d be only £33 a week better off.

CatToddlerUprising Thu 04-Apr-19 20:25:40

If you have dependent children and housing costs then the first £198 of your wages will be ignored. The remaining amount will then use the earnings taper- for every £1 in your wages 63p will be taken from your universal credit. It isn’t done by hours as such- but by how much you earn

alaric77 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:02:25

Do they not hound you to do more hours though? I've heard horror stories of people having to give up a stable part time job for a temp full time one. I will find more hours would just prefer to do it in my own time and not have to go and be told off every week. My dd is 13 and I know I will be expected to leave her alone while I work full time and I know she will find that hard to deal with when the night's are dark, she's quite nervous and close to me and I don't have anyone else to keep an eye on her.

PookieDo Thu 04-Apr-19 21:04:45

I understood it was full time once they are teenagers

I want to go part time because it’s a much better paid job with better prospects but I probably won’t do it because I will get sanctioned and hounded and have to go to the job centre miles away and go through the looking for Work rigmarole

dirtystinkyrats Thu 04-Apr-19 21:09:53

DWP estimate for planned migration to UC is 2020 to 2022 (unless you are one of 10,000 claimants in pilot areas who are moved earlier). By then who knows what the exact rules will be - they are changing things all the time.

alaric77 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:14:06

Mine will be soon as son going to uni will trigger a change of circumstances, I'm just so stressed, I find working part time is all I can handle at the moment for various reasons but i am looking for more hours I just can't deal with the pressure of sanctions a b evening hounded and having to answer to other people it will stress me out. Thanks for everyone's posts x

alaric77 Thu 04-Apr-19 21:24:11

Have had a little Google and I gather that if you go from 2 children to one you have the choice of staying on reviewed tax credits or moving over to UC if you want to. Even if I'm better off I'm not moving over unless I have to as not worth the hassle of having to wait six weeks for first payment/being hassled to find more work/sanctions etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »