Talk

Advanced search

To ask the carpet fitter to move the furniture?

(27 Posts)
probablybeingunreasonable Thu 04-Apr-19 14:52:47

I'm getting new floor down in my kitchen.
I can't lift all the items.
I could probably drag the fridge but I can't get the washer to budge and the cooker will be a struggle too :-(
I have nobody to help me.
I've asked 3 friends for help but they've said they can't.
If I pay him say a extra £30 do you think he might? Aibu to ask?
I don't know how else to do it

whyshouldiworry Thu 04-Apr-19 14:53:34

Won't hurt to ask - give him plenty notice though.

Jessgalinda Thu 04-Apr-19 14:54:05

I would contact them before hand and ask. They may not be able to physically to it either.

LordVoldetort Thu 04-Apr-19 14:54:29

Just ask him. Some places charge extra for moving items. I haven’t met a carpet/floor fitter who won’t move furniture (but a washer is slightly different I suppose)

probablybeingunreasonable Thu 04-Apr-19 14:54:57

I didn't realise how heavy the washer was.
I can't even move it by dragging it.

Farmerswifey12 Thu 04-Apr-19 14:55:16

I would phone and ask too, don't leave it till they arrive

Tensixtysix Thu 04-Apr-19 14:55:58

Most carpet fitters will move furniture, but you need to let them know as they don't always come as a 'team'.

Nowordsleft Thu 04-Apr-19 14:56:24

You can ask. I had a carpet fitter and they wouldn’t move furniture and I couldn’t. I was renting though and assume they spoke to the landlord as the manager turned up to help and two of them did it.

TooTrueToBeGood Thu 04-Apr-19 14:56:51

I would phone and ask well in advance. If he's a decent person he want mind, especially if you're willing to pay a bit extra. If you wait until he turns up he might think you're taking the piss a bit. Just be sure everything that needs moved is reasonably a one man job.

Ginnymweasley Thu 04-Apr-19 14:57:06

We got told they would move up to 5 pieces of furniture but if it was more then they charged another 40 quid. I dunno if that would include heavy items. I imagine if you ring to ask then they will be fine with it.
The guy that did our carpets recently got his apprentice to come and do the moving anyway....

probablybeingunreasonable Thu 04-Apr-19 14:57:21

Yeah il deffo ask.
I feel like such a idiot asking but I just can't do it.
Tried for a hour last night and it's ridiculously heavy

juneybean Thu 04-Apr-19 14:58:40

We just asked and paid extra as we literally had nowhere to put the furniture.

ExpertOnCarpetFittingAndWotnot Thu 04-Apr-19 14:59:44

No.

TheQueef Thu 04-Apr-19 15:00:15

The washer has a concrete block in the top to stop it running around.
Ideally it wants disconnecting and moving and then carrying back in place so a two person job.
Is he fitting carpet or vinyl?

Xenia Thu 04-Apr-19 15:01:55

I moved a washer from a garage, across a large garden into my utlity room last year. I used a luggage trolley for part of it. It was very heavy but I am over 50 so I bet you are younger and even stronger!
Still worth asking the men or could they cut the lino around the item in the traditional fashion instead?

xWholeLottaRosiex Thu 04-Apr-19 15:05:17

I was in a similar situation as yourself when I got new carpets throughout the whole house late last year. I moved what I could, and I kid you not, I was in some amount of pain afterwards. However, I couldn't move the wardrobes or my bed for love nor money. I did empty them of everything i.e., clothes removed and mattress off. When they arrived I explained, and I offered to move things from room to room as they needed access to the next etc but I explained there was these few things I was physically incapable of moving. They were fine and said they'd give me a shout if they needed me. Couple of hours later they were finished and when I asked if they were ready for me to move some things around they said "No love, its all done". The wee stars had done the lot, moved furniture from room to room aswell grin I think they appreciated that I had made my best effort and offered to help. You can only do what you can do, I imagine they see it fairly often. Different if they were walking into an untouched room haha grin

TheQueef Thu 04-Apr-19 15:07:33

Also what flooring is down now?

probablybeingunreasonable Thu 04-Apr-19 15:07:56

@TheQueef it's vinyl

probablybeingunreasonable Thu 04-Apr-19 15:08:47

Sticky floor tiles from b@q

VictoriaBun Thu 04-Apr-19 15:11:18

I would be concerned about the cooker. If had it will probably need disconnecting or ( I believe by law ) should be 're connected by a gas safe engineer. I also expect the same for an electric oven.

probablybeingunreasonable Thu 04-Apr-19 15:11:54

It's probably easier to just leave the tiles down blush

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Thu 04-Apr-19 15:13:32

Mine charged me an extra 150 to shift the furniture - not a lot I could do about it as he was booked, with the carpet and I'd already cleared most of the stuff. Had me right over a barrel the shit

TheQueef Thu 04-Apr-19 15:13:44

Ok.
You won't want to drag it anywhere when the new vinyl goes down because the feet on the washer will tear vinyl.
Getting it out should be easier if you lift the corner slightly and pull it forward, repeat other side and continue to 'walk' it out. Do you know if the waste and water pipe are long enough for it to be pulled out?

Babdoc Thu 04-Apr-19 15:33:39

It’s easy to walk a washing machine along by swinging it from corner to corner as a PP said. I’m only 5’ 3””, but I lifted one out of my car boot, walked it up a gravel drive, up two steps to the door and through the house into the kitchen by myself.
I was v impressed by my old carpet fitter years ago, though. I was unable to move my upright piano alone, when I needed new carpet in its room. I called to the fitter to give me a shout when he needed a hand, so we could move it between us.
30 mins later he shouted that he was all finished - he’d somehow lifted the piano over the roll of carpet himself and laid it all the way to the wall!

LovingLola Thu 04-Apr-19 15:49:50

I very much doubt that a carpet fitter would disconnect a cooker.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »