Talk

Advanced search

To hate those voices that penetrate your peaceful cafe break

(19 Posts)
Decormad38 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:22:24

Sat down for a nice cup of coffee when two guys walk in and sit diwn. One of them has a voice that whatever you do you can’t escape hearing it. Why do some people insist on talking that little bit too loud? AIBU to get wound up?

DocusDiplo Thu 04-Apr-19 09:23:36

I actually have a friend like this and its quite embarrassing!!! Share your pain though.

SnuggyBuggy Thu 04-Apr-19 09:24:39

I accept you can't control who is in a cafe but no I wouldn't be thrilled by that

HoHoHolittlepea Thu 04-Apr-19 09:24:46

oh god I think I have this voice...I try hard to be quiet but have a pitch that 'carries'

Decormad38 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:28:48

Now the cafe has forgotten my food order and just served the loud man his! Mm !

Skrowten Thu 04-Apr-19 09:36:36

It's like if someone is having a conversation on their mobile phone in cafe/on public transport. It's all I can hear. Strangely, it seems more intrusive then if they were having a convo in person.

SneakyGremlins Thu 04-Apr-19 09:37:32

I refer to it as a Janice From Friends™ voice. Loud, nasal, penetrates walls...

buzzbobbly Thu 04-Apr-19 09:38:04

On the plus side, hopefully it will shut him up for a while!

ShirleyPhallus Thu 04-Apr-19 09:38:32

I’ve got a few of these as colleagues and their voices are so piercing it’s all you can bloody here

AceOfSpades123 Thu 04-Apr-19 09:40:52

I’ve got a friend like that and it’s embarrassing going anywhere with him. He dominates every space he’s in with his loud booming constant chat. It’s annoying and I now actively try and avoid sitting with him in a cafe.

Cornettoninja Thu 04-Apr-19 09:42:12

I seem to live in an area that must have voice projection as part of their curriculum. Everyone seems to bray

Laiste Thu 04-Apr-19 09:42:52

There is always one. IME i think it's about 50/50 weather it's male or female to be honest.

Always makes me hmm.

You find your own conversation faltering because you're half trying to tune the 'shouter' out and half can't help bloody listening to them!

Laiste Thu 04-Apr-19 09:44:51

Cornettoninja i can tell you that the first few minutes of break in the staff room at school can be quite loud while we all remember we can stop projecting now grin

Bezalelle Thu 04-Apr-19 09:57:33

Some people have voices like a cinder under a door.

In most cases, they're always bleating on about something self-congratulatory to boot.

Cornettoninja Thu 04-Apr-19 09:58:44

@laiste grin

Indoor voices people!

AguerosAngel Thu 04-Apr-19 09:59:49

Are you in the same cafe as me OP? Even over the sound of the coffee machine and the milkshake blender going I can still hear this blokes voice droning on and on and on!

Stop it!!

Decormad38 Thu 04-Apr-19 10:05:44

I left when he got on to the £10k pay rise he has just received. I’m sure the guy he was with thought he was a tosser too!

SnuggyBuggy Thu 04-Apr-19 10:23:55

It's always crap they're talking. I was once on a rail replacement bus where this total tosser kept phoning different people to have the same boastful conversation about selling a property in Marbella, the whole bus started groaning each time he mentioned fucking Marbella grin

Peterpiperpickedwrong Thu 04-Apr-19 10:25:38

We have a SIL like this. Excruciatingly embarrassing whenever we were out having family meals. Why is it the loudest people talk the most crap? People would glare at us from other tables! We now have family meals at home so we don’t inflict her on other people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: