Talk

Advanced search

That toothace is the worst!!

(59 Posts)
mindgoinground12 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:24:28

Currently feeling very sorry for myself, i have a dental absses in my tooth. just started antibiotics today, half of my face is swollen including my gum ive taken ibroprofen, paracetamol and codeine and oragel isnt touching it, cant lie down keep crying feel like screaming. DCs wonderimg why im such a mess! nothings releving it. have to wait a couple weeks to have the bugger taken out.
ive had 5 DSs, id rather go through that again.
Sorry just rambling had to have a moan

Divgirl2 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:26:41

Agreed - toothache is awful. I had such bad toothache when I was pregnant and couldn't even take anything for it except paracetamol.

Supposedly clove oil (can get it in boots - rub it on the gum), and pineapple juice help. Assuming you're not pregnant vodka will also help I'd imagine.

bigchris Wed 03-Apr-19 21:27:44

Oh goodness!

Would an ice pack help?

Also whisky directly onto it numbs the gum

Why do you have to wait? Is there an emergency dentist you could see?

steff13 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:28:10

It's the worst pain I've ever felt, including natural childbirth. Whenever I've had an abscess, I've always felt like punching someone in the face would make me feel better (lighthearted). Try clove oil on it, and sleep sitting up if you can. Other than that, you have to let the antibiotics do their work. sad

mindgoinground12 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:29:07

went to dentist today for antibiotics, nothing else they can do at the moemtn. forgot about the oild might go buy some tommrow. never heard of the pinapple juice thing! Might use as an excuse to have a drink!!

Matilda1981 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:30:25

I feel your pain - I’ve got an abscess and tonight it seems really bad, nothing’s touching it, just hope I can get it seen to pretty quickly, going to have it out I think - was supposed to have it out a while back but they wouldn’t x ray as I was pregnant but the baby’s 6 months old now so something needs to be done! I agree that it’s a worse pain than childbirth - at least childbirth has an end which is relatively quick!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 03-Apr-19 21:33:35

I wish I could wave a magic wand for you. If I had 3 wishes one would be never to get toothache again.
Nothing seems to eliviates it, does it, and everything annoys you.
I didn't go through labour (Csection) however my dentist said "Toothache is worse than labour". I can well believe it. Labour there is reward at the end of it.

VictoriaBun Wed 03-Apr-19 21:36:29

Try a hot water bottle. Wrap it in a towel and lie down with it on that side.

steff13 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:36:31

Labour there is reward at the end of it.

True. The reward I got at the end of my last abscessed tooth was a root canal. hmm Hardly as nice as a baby. smile

mindgoinground12 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:36:48

exactly, childbirth atleast theres something to look forward to! @Matilda1981 sorry to hear your in pain to, (hugsss) these antibiotics better kick in quick!

Isitteayourlookingfor Wed 03-Apr-19 21:37:39

I had a really bad episode before Christmas where I was climbing the walls in agony taking far too many painkillers.and I’m ashamed to admit I actually wished I was dead it wa so unbearable. It took about 6 visits before I was fixed .

polkadotpixie Wed 03-Apr-19 21:39:26

Don't have a drink or use whiskey if your antibiotics are metronidazole unless you want to add vomiting to your pain! Hope you feel better soon

GetOffTheRoof Wed 03-Apr-19 21:40:25

Weeks?! That's ridiculous!

Are you spreading out the painkillers? Top up every few hours with what you have, but get a packet of the black Paramol from the chemist. That's the only thing that helps me with an abcess.

And yes, even though it's not the right thing to do, I always have a drink too!

Also, set an alarm in the night to wake up and take more painkillers - don't let them run down to nothing. Lay them out by the bed with a glass of water, just neck then and go back to sleep.

Never let the pain relief expire, ever, always keep something in your system.

Matilda1981 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:42:20

@mindgoinground12 - I’ve run out of paracetamol so have had a large dose of Calpol 6 plus - it’s definitely taken the edge off the pain! No wonder it makes the kids feel better, there must be something else in there!!

GetOffTheRoof Wed 03-Apr-19 21:42:27

Oh yes, forgot about the metronidazole with alcohol thing. You could dish a cotton ball in vodka or whatever and keep it on the gum - that helps too, but it does take time.

chocolatespiders Wed 03-Apr-19 21:43:36

When I had an abscess I made a paste of turmeric and put it on tiny bit of cotton wool and applied it to the problem area. It did relieve it.

shatteredandstressed Wed 03-Apr-19 21:43:53

Don't put anything hot like a hot water bottle anywhere near your swollen face.
Frozen peas wrapped in a thin tea towel 3-4 times daily on the swelling, for no more than 2 minutes. Lots of hot salty mouth wash over the infected tooth & gently manipulate the outside of your face simultaneously.
Pain relief - ibuprofen alternated with paracetamol every 3.5 hour, if your medical history permits.
Prop your head up plenty of pillows overnight, don't lie flat or swelling will increase.
Try to get the tooth extracted ASAP
Good luck

mindgoinground12 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:45:08

haha may try that @Matilda1981 !!! I always thought there was soemthing else in calpol my children seem so diffrent on it grin. its amoxacillian (sp?) im on, i wish one dose made it go away! Annnnnd DS5 isnt feeling very well and he wants mummy cuddles and i keep crying on him! hes currenlty lying next to me watching a film with his stufffed elephant

dilemma7 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:45:28

Anbesol is brilliant - you can get it in Boots.

Pandasarecute Wed 03-Apr-19 21:45:48

You have my sympathy, worst pain ever. Hope you get some relief soon

DonttouchthatLarry Wed 03-Apr-19 21:46:04

I had one before Christmas - horrendous pain. No tablets touched it, nor did the AB's. It would sometimes ease off but the only thing I found that helped was holding a bag of frozen peas against it. You have my utmost sympathy - it was worse than prolapsed disc pain.

barnacharmer Wed 03-Apr-19 21:46:10

I had a dry socket a couple of years ago and nothing got near the unbearable pain until I got clove oil. Once I had that it was a dull ache. Get it as soon as you can

YesItsMeIDontCare Wed 03-Apr-19 21:47:35

I've got toothache so you have my sympathies OP.

I've also got a knackered shoulder and I've been given 30/500 co-codamol for that so quite honestly my toothache is little more than a twinge 🤪😁.

PeonyTruffle Wed 03-Apr-19 21:48:55

You have my sympathy, I had my son completely drug free (because the midwife was a cow and wouldn't give me any pain relief I should strsss) but I would take that over abscess pain.

Tramadol is your friend here, it completely and utterly wiped me out though. The doctor gave it to me after my jaw seized up due to my abscess and I passed out on a train where I hadn't eaten anything, I literally couldn't get anything in my mouth because it was too painful. Had to buy a baby toothbrush in order to actually brush my teeth.

I really hope you feel better soon

mindgoinground12 Wed 03-Apr-19 22:17:00

Might go to pharamcy tommrow and ask if theres anything better but im already taking codeine! Actually might scream havent had a break from pain for hours. thanks for the hand holding

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »