Talk

Advanced search

To ask you how long it took for your antibiotics to work?

(6 Posts)
petalsinthegarden Wed 03-Apr-19 20:15:17

I've had sinusitis for over a month and tried all the over the counter stuff, steaming, compresses.. nothing's worked.

Finally managed to get a doctor's appointment and was prescribed a 7 day course of amoxicillin. I can't remember the last time I had any antibiotics so can't gage when I should be able to smell again!!

I'm only on day 2 with no improvement, super impatient. When did it start working for you?

livingthegoodlife Wed 03-Apr-19 20:18:41

2-3 days usually assuming you are on the correct type

SabineUndine Wed 03-Apr-19 20:21:31

If they're being effective, you can notice antibiotics working in as little as three hours. I've had this with a root canal infection. However with an excruciating ear infection it took 48 hours during which I was unable to eat, drink or sleep

Sinus infections can be hard to shift. I would say if you've got no improvement by the end of tomorrow, you should see your doctor again.

sparklytwinklyfairylights Wed 03-Apr-19 22:20:19

For a UTI had 2 different types that did absolutely nothing the 3rd ones I got started working in a matter of hours

AmIRightOrAMeringue Wed 03-Apr-19 22:25:01

I had similar recently and they didn't work as quick as they usually do for other things. Gradual improvement over about a week. It took another 10 days probably to smell again. I think its because although the infection is gone, all the tubes are still blocked and there isn't an easy way for it all to drain away quickly. That's my theory anyway, not based on anything scientific!

petalsinthegarden Thu 04-Apr-19 08:20:21

Feels like I'm going to be suffering for ages at this rate!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »