Talk

Advanced search

to think that £26 for non Alcoholic gin is !!!!!!!!

(43 Posts)
Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 03-Apr-19 19:36:28

Seedlip 'distilled non-alcoholic gin'. I'm having a dry few weeks and thought it might be nice.

£26 in M&S
!!!!

TakingtheLeap Thu 04-Apr-19 17:16:55

Tell a lie, £19. Maybe it was on offer when I bought it...

www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/301907026

Girlwhowearsglasses Thu 04-Apr-19 17:18:05

I Am thinking it might taste a bit like 'Aqua Libra' - if that still exists. Nasty herby stuff for non-alcoholic grown-ups from the nineties.

Redshoeblueshoe Thu 04-Apr-19 17:19:43

Why not just stick some juniper berries in your tonic ?

TurnOffTheTv Thu 04-Apr-19 17:22:35

Snake oil! More fool those who buy it.

Fatbutt Thu 04-Apr-19 17:23:57

do sainsburys still do the G&T flavouring? Was about £1 a bottle and in a glass of tonic is passable!

It was in the baking aisle last time i got some

StaffiesAndPonies Thu 04-Apr-19 17:24:46

Seedlip is money for old rope. Stick some cloves in tap water for the same effect and save yourself £26.

cheesenpickles Thu 04-Apr-19 17:27:01

Another vote for Sea Arch.

Haphazardhacker Fri 05-Apr-19 06:23:38

There’s a new one on the market called Borrago, we have just started selling it at work and it’s £18 a bottle and I love it. It’s more concentrated than seedlip so the bottle lasts a lot longer too.

stucknoue Fri 05-Apr-19 06:33:10

It's basically posh cordial . The reason alcoholic drinks are £££ is the tax, so the profits on non alcoholic drinks must be brilliant!

Angie169 Fri 05-Apr-19 06:44:41

If anyone fancys joining a 'dry' thread hop over to here -https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/ninety_days_only/3542188-Dry-April-May-June-whatever-hop-on-here?msgid=85961364.
There will be lots of opinion available for alternatives.

We did have a dry Jan thread too but unfortunately that one has just gone POOF as its time ran out

Bibijayne Fri 05-Apr-19 06:53:56

It's not great either..

Though we found the special cucumber sprite/ sprite zero (think Boots and Morrisons have it in still) tastes a hit like Hendricks and tonic.

donajimena Fri 05-Apr-19 07:00:53

I don't drink because I loved it a little too much. When I stopped I found it easier to not bother with substitutes. I wouldn't pay that much for an alcohol free spirit. It would be like showing a picture of a bone to a dog wink

donajimena Fri 05-Apr-19 07:01:30

Drink alcohol that should say

Girlwhowearsglasses Fri 05-Apr-19 09:19:55

It’s jot so much a substitute for me as something not super sugary that I might drink in place of a gin and tonic - on a warm evening out in the garden before food. I bloody hate sweetners, so that rules out loads of stuff now.

I tried non alcoholic beer the other day, I can’t imagine the point ! Yuck.

Rose’s Lime Cordial is my usual go to

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 05-Apr-19 09:21:46

It tasted like pea flavoured compost to me sad so not worth it. Better to just add some bitters to tonic I think.

PBo83 Fri 05-Apr-19 10:00:47

The reason non-alcoholic drinks (including beers etc.) are more expensive is because they are made in the normal way and then they extract the alcohol from it so it is actually more work to make.

Personally I'd just drink dry tonic with some fruit in it.

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 05-Apr-19 10:06:51

Non alcoholic products may be more expensive to make, but they aren't taxed like alcohol, so you would have thought one would cancel out the other.

There's about £8 of alcohol tax on a standard 70 cl bottle of spirits that wouldn't apply on Seedlip.

If it was cheaper and I was confident it tasted remotely like gin, I might buy it, but too many people say it doesn't so it just doesn't sound worth it to me.

Girlwhowearsglasses Fri 05-Apr-19 13:53:48

Exactly •BarbaraofSeville* - £8 of free money, not even sugar tax!

*buys still* starts making non-alcoholic concoctions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »