Talk

Advanced search

To think flat inspection should occur when it is convenient for tenant?

(34 Posts)
ambravale Wed 03-Apr-19 16:18:59

We have really shitty estate agents who manage our rented flat for the land lord/owner. We are moving out in about 4 months at the end of our lease.

A few weeks ago I was having a bath and heard a knock but ignored it. Next thing I know, someone was unlocking the bloody door !!! This was at about 10:30am so not super early but it was my day off. I asked the woman if I coule help her, and she said oh we have a possible future tenant wanting to look around. It wasn’t, is that ok, it was sort of; this is what is happening.

Today I got an email saying “We will be coming for an inspection of your flat at 4:40 on Friday. You do not need to be present”

Erm, actually no, I don’t want someone nosing around my flat. As it happens I’m hosting a dinner party that night with drinks starting at 4:30, so no I don’t want them here.

AIBU to think they ought to say, “Would it be possible to come at X time, or when is appropriate?”

I think it’s cheeky to say say we are coming. Erm, no, bugger off! As it happens, their fees are jolly well expensive too!

needanappp Wed 03-Apr-19 16:50:17

@Bearfrills completely agree, hence why I said it's unlikely to happen in this scenario. I just popped it in there as OP had asked if she could legally refuse inspections. I'm not sure if or when refusing inspections would be classed as unreasonable obstruction but thought it worth being aware about if not already smile

Podemos Wed 03-Apr-19 16:51:28

It drives me insane that people continue to post on threads like this when they have no idea of the law.

The only time your landlords can enter would be in an emergency (think gas leak or water dripping through your floor onto electrics in flat below)

You could legally have changed your locks when you moved in so they wouldn't have been able walk in when you were in the bath - god I'd have been furious and the prospective tenants would have known exactly what kind of agents they were letting themselves in for.

Personally I think it's fair enough to let them in for pre-arranged inspections, but you still don't have to (even if it's in the contract, this doesnt trump law) and it absolutely needs to be when convenient to you- say no to the time they've given.

Do you need a reference from them?

In my last rental property we offered to allow viewings ONLY IF the landlord agreed that we could give one month's notice from any date rather than from the rent payment date as was in the contract. E.g If rent due 1st Jan and we gave notice 4th Jan, contract said we were responsible for rent until 1st March. Got on well with landlord so wasn't done to piss them off we just knew we held the cards with allowing viewings and we needed flexibility around when we moved out.

Bearfrills Wed 03-Apr-19 16:51:29

I'm not sure if or when refusing inspections would be classed as unreasonable obstruction but thought it worth being aware about if not already

There'd probably be some landlords out there who would try to use it against their tenants. The amount of cowboys out there is shocking.

Bearfrills Wed 03-Apr-19 16:51:53

To many "out there"s in there grin

needanappp Wed 03-Apr-19 16:54:31

Tell me about it, I rented from one of them just a couple of years ago! Sent a contractor to fill a hole in the roof, causing a leak, with expanding foam grin Unfortunately it's too easy for someone to take out a buy-to-let mortgage and rent their property without them actually having much of a clue about the legalities of being a lanlord!

MadameAnchou Wed 03-Apr-19 17:12:29

I can see why some folks change the lock barrels when they move in. When we were renting, and this was some time ago, we had EAs just waltz right in to do viewings. No notice at all. Loads of people have, just a thread on here last week and people had had EAs come in whilst they were in bed, in the shower, all sorts.

PinkCrayon Wed 03-Apr-19 17:15:15

How unproffessional of them!
I have rented in the past and never had any trouble like that, when it came to viewings they worked around me, there was certainly no telling me when it was going to happen.
I would avoid this agency in the future, I would also complain.

mumwon Wed 03-Apr-19 17:31:30

www.landlordlawblog.co.uk/2016/10/18/tenant-penalties-breaching-tenancy-rules-changing-locks/
it isn't quite that straightforward, you shouldn't change the locks automatically UNLESS the landlord is overstepping the mark by just walking in - think about it - you have a flood or some emergency - how does he/she get into to fix it? - I have always talked to tenant usually a week or two ahead & worked out best mutual day, date & time to check property & I much prefer tenant to be there & catch up if there are any little issues - I regard the property as their home - things happen to property - & many tenants may not recognise that somethings an issue (stiff hinges, dripping taps that need new washers, fences or gates that need a bit of check up or care - or signs of subsidence, etc) & its land lords responsibility to do this & you cant if you haven't seen it.

SomeLikeItTepid Wed 03-Apr-19 17:46:13

I have heard this same thing (the knock once then enter regardless) from a few different friends who have rented in recent years. The estate agents with letting departments, rather than letting companies, seem to be the worst offenders. One friend had a couple turn up for a viewing on the house they were renting as the landlord had put it on the market and nobody had bothered to tell them. Although this might not be illegal it's bloody rude at best. I was so glad once I was finally in a position to buy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »