Talk

Advanced search

Creme de la Mer - anyone think it’s any good?

(30 Posts)
Pa1oma Wed 03-Apr-19 16:08:04

Hi - just wondering if anyone had ever used any of this range and if it’s worth it? I was thinking about getting some today, but a serum is about £200! I asked the shop assistant for a sample; she said “no”. Is it just like any other serum? Usually I use an Ester Lauder serum which is about £70 - would I notice any difference? AIBU to suspect the whole thing is a nonsense?

TFBundy Wed 03-Apr-19 16:10:53

I used it for a while. When I first started using it I was amazed at how great my skin felt, but then gradually I stopped seeing any difference. (I may have tried to convince myself it was amazing because of the eye-watering price!)

I have since heard that the much-trumpeted "active" ingredient is only in a homeopathic dose anyway.

mommymooo Wed 03-Apr-19 16:46:41

No don't do it it's crap. I used to work in Harvey Nichols and sometimes covered creme when the girls went on break they all said it's crap it's stupid expensive boots no7 is amazing fraction of the cost I even tried the one ALDI do and that is working lovely for me at the moment xx

Pa1oma Wed 03-Apr-19 17:18:47

Ok thanks. When they won’t give you a sample, I always wonder why.

Laiste Wed 03-Apr-19 17:27:02

I heard that Astral was a decent dupe for CDLM.

The texture is pretty similar IMO.

LostInShoebiz Wed 03-Apr-19 17:32:39

I’ve always found them very generous with samples.

Raspberry10 Wed 03-Apr-19 17:32:48

I used it for a bit in my early 30s and I wasn’t impressed. Now 47 and my skin is much like the rest of me, drying to a husk. I caved and bought some as my skin was mega flaking and nothing was stopping it, I tried Nivea, Kiehls, Clarins etc. It’s worked wonders, but still a bit too heavy now I’m back to semi normal. I might try the slightly lighter soft cream next time.

Madbengalmum Wed 03-Apr-19 17:35:49

I love it, tried everything and it really works. Used to trial the new products for Boots before they were on sale and they were awful on my skin. So i have the opposite opinion to some posters. It is like Marmite, you either love or hate.

CatToddlerUprising Wed 03-Apr-19 17:41:22

Lots of reviews have shown there is no real difference between Creme de la Mer and Nivea

CherryPavlova Wed 03-Apr-19 17:45:47

Love it too. Good for older, drier skin. It lasts a good while too.

SeamstressfromTreacleMineRoad Wed 03-Apr-19 17:53:14

Sorry for where this is from, but a conclusive result...
www.thesun.co.uk/living/2114909/the-7-99-aldi-face-cream-that-beats-its-luxury-300-rival-hands-down-and-8-other-budget-beauty-buys-you-will-love/

lubeybooby Wed 03-Apr-19 18:20:44

My absolute fave and astral is in no way shape or form a dupe other than being a white cream. Astral is the kind that does that weird thing where your skin is kind of blocked and you sweat on top of it

I got a one off creme de la mer glossybox once for about £40 and the range was amazing. I was so sad when it ran out, knowing I really couldn't justify the price of buying full price full sizes. I might say bugger it one day when all my other stuff has run out.

zeddybrek Wed 03-Apr-19 18:35:44

It didn't make any difference to me either. The one product that I have noticed the biggest difference from was the Clarins brown serum with 2 compartments. I use it everyday and can't remember it's name! It's about £70. Creme, it was good but it might be one of those products that helps in the long term. We are all obsessed with wanting to see immediate results so who knows.

GinisLife Wed 03-Apr-19 18:49:50

Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream transformed my skin. Yes it's £100 for the biggest size but you need the teeniest bit and it goes a long way so lasts ages - and half the price of CDLM which I hated when I tried it.

Aurea Wed 03-Apr-19 19:34:56

I've recently become a convert to this cream. It makes my skin feel velvety-soft and looks dewy The best I've tried in two decades of trying anti ageing cream.

Very reasonable price too and 100% natural.

https://www.edinburghskincare.com/product/ultra-rich-anti-ageing-face-cream/

MotherOfMinions Wed 03-Apr-19 19:48:45

It makes your skin feel very soft but no way is it worth the price

Laiste Wed 03-Apr-19 20:27:00

@Aurea I'm tempted by the Edinburgh cream but how big is that pot?! It says 'weight .32kg' but that means nothing to me what's that in mls do you think? A normal pot of face cream is about 50mls.

Aurea Wed 03-Apr-19 20:32:15

It's 100 mls and should last a good few months. It's in a pretty glass jar, a bit like the Kilner one. It's very rich with no fillers or water and you only need a tiny amount. I. bought the day and night cream set for £30 and it's the best value I've spent on skincare ever.

Laiste Wed 03-Apr-19 20:40:55

Thank you. I've been looking at the pic of that kilner pot swinging between thinking it looks huge and thinking it looks teeny. They need something next to it for scale grin

I think i'll give it a go!

Steamedbadger Wed 03-Apr-19 21:02:31

I bought some for a friend who loves it and got given some samples. I found it very heavy on my skin and went back to using No7. If you go back to the counter/another counter and have a chat they will probably give you a sample. They are trying to sell the stuff.

DuffBeer Wed 03-Apr-19 21:23:10

I've also read quite a bit about this cream and agree with others, there is nothing fancy about it. You're mostly paying for the name.

Have a look at Viola vitamin C serum and the anti wrinkle cream from the same range. Really good stuff and a fraction of the price. I'm on my second lot now and would recommend it

TheCrowFromBelow Wed 03-Apr-19 21:30:21

Apparently the ingredients cost around £10.
Even the Mail are sceptical - this is one of their more worthwhile articles IMO:

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2418153/Claire-used-1-Nivea-cream-half-face--105-Cr-la-Mer-The-results-VERY-revealing.html

Aurea Wed 03-Apr-19 22:42:08

@laiste

Great! Let us know what you think.....

SheWoreBlueVelvet Wed 03-Apr-19 22:45:32

We have an Estée Lauder factory shop not far away, Have bought it for my mum and she didn’t notice the difference. I think it’s about buying the name rather than what it does. If you can afford £200 for face cream you can afford Botox fillers and surgery, which are way more effective.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 03-Apr-19 22:46:21

I loved the lotion - back when I had no children and money !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »