Talk

Advanced search

To ask if anyone chose a new career "later on" in life?

(52 Posts)
Justanothernamechange2 Wed 03-Apr-19 14:23:27

Just feeling quite miserable and deflated today.

I know im not considered older yet at 30, but not a spring chicken to be starting fresh either.

Just feeling like ive wasted half my life.

Went to college, did a degree through the open uni.. had 3 jobs in said field (2 fixed term, then redundancy) when i was made redundant it was due to the company collapsing and not affording upkeep of the building etc so i just got an easy office job in the next city to pay the bills + now 4 years on i feel stuck here. I never really enjoyed the field of work im trained in so dont really want to get back into that. I have minimal other transferable skills other than generic office work (calls, company specific pc software, Microsoft office etc) but I am so frustrated here.

theres no challenge, i feel like my brain never gets a chance to wake up, i travel for hours at an extortionate cost just to come here and do the same shit, different day.

Oh...and my boss is an arsehole.

We also want to start a family, which i feel i cant or shouldnt when between work so i need to settle fast. I joined mumsnet nearly 2years ago due to fertility issues and found a helpful thread here..now were in a position that we could probably go forward with family planning...but not until im settled in a new job where im happy and closer to home.

Anyway.. i digress. Has anyone had a lightbulb moment a bit later on and actually got somewhere good?

Elliss2018 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:06:57

I qualified as a nurse last year, I'm 33, best decision I've ever made! Go for it smile

Asdf12345 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:07:35

I know a chap who was an optometrist till his mid 30s when he went to medical school, then trained in a surgical speciality for a number of years before going to big Pharma.

It may be more difficult if you can’t earn good money alongside changing career, or don’t have a partner who can bankroll it.

SweetbutaPsycho Wed 03-Apr-19 20:07:40

I've worked in community development since leaving college at 18. Started a degree with the open university at 25 and will graduate next year before hopefully going on to do a doctorate or applied masters in psychotherapy. At 31 I'll be giving up my £30k a year career to literally start again from the bottom up but I know this is what I want. I'm so disillusioned and stagnant in my current role.

DontGoIntoTheLongGrass Wed 03-Apr-19 20:13:47

Left school at 17 and been in call centres, admin and retail jobs since. Been in an admin job for 8 years and now at 30 I'm about to start training for the special constables with a view to hopefully make it my full career after a few years of voluntary experience. I needed a change 😬

justchecking1 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:15:35

My friend is currently looking at the graduate entry fast track policing scheme. I think she's nuts, but it sounds interesting at least!

Monr0e Wed 03-Apr-19 20:18:15

I'm 44 and a few months off qualifying to be a midwife. I'll still have at least 20 years of working life ahead of me.

What interests you? What do you enjoy doing? I think its better to have a clear goal rather than just jump into anything because it's different.

tinytemper66 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:19:53

I went to uni aged 31 and became a teacher at 35. I had worked as a student nurse and then an OT assistant before that. Plus had children in between 😊

kalinkafoxtrot45 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:25:25

I worked in a bank, was made redundant, got a TEFL, moved overseas and started teaching English. Was promoted by the company I work for and now have a more senior position. Love the job and it was a good move. I was 36 when I made the change.

Order654 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:27:20

I’m 29, started a course this year to become an accountant.

Iv been in a normal office job since I left school at 16, had 2 kids and there now both at school so seems about the right time

SabineUndine Wed 03-Apr-19 20:32:40

I'm in my 50s, have just left an office job I hate. Now looking to start work in a completely different field. I'm fortunate in that I can take a salary cut, but I would certainly say it's never too late to change. I've got 10 years of full time work ahead of me, and I decided to spend it doing something I enjoy.

FluffyBumps Wed 03-Apr-19 20:38:59

Well i gave up the world's dullest career in yawn yawn.. financial services. I went on Mat leave and could never face going back to it.
I spent a good few years at home being a FT mum and then we relocated with the job. At that point I felt ready for something new but absolutely no idea what. Whilst glancing through a local paper I saw a local uni offering an aviation course.
Literally applied without much thought at all. Got accepted. Did the course.
During the course I got a work placement at an airport. They let me finish the course but I've stayed there. It's a junior role but I love it. Pay is shit. Shifts ate shit but I love the variety and people. I doubt I'll progress as that will mean less of the aspects I enjoy but I'm happy in my job, something I never had before. So no not a new career. Its just a blue collar job at best but a totally new direction and something I look forward to doing every day.

another20 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:25:45

My user name refers to my career change at 48.....how many more years I would need to work. Did the corporate career from graduating with a big blue chip. Now retrained as a psychotherapist - and in this job the older you are the better you are. Wish I had done it sooner.

scattercushion17 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:33:05

'What colour is your parachute?' might be worth a read. Its career focused on helping you work out your motivation etc

ConstantlyCooking Wed 03-Apr-19 21:38:18

I did a pgce at 44 and am now teaching fulltime. smile

Polarbearflavour Wed 03-Apr-19 21:41:40

I’ve had 6 different careers and I’m 30! grin

Thinking of doing a PGCE next year.

Whatdoyouknowwhenyouknownowt Wed 03-Apr-19 21:43:32

I did another degree & then something completely different again a few years later. Now early retired until I get bored again...

There's always a way...

donajimena Wed 03-Apr-19 21:47:30

I'm doing now and I'm a lot older than you. I'm 47. If I don't do this I'll be on NMW for the rest of my life.

feelingdizzy Wed 03-Apr-19 21:47:53

Retrained at 35 to be a teacher as a single parent to 2 kids. 10 years later I'm headteacher , still think I've another career in me considering a change at 50 .

Jessicabrassica Wed 03-Apr-19 21:57:43

Just about to qualify as an occupational therapist at 45. Can't wait to start work!

missyB1 Wed 03-Apr-19 22:02:04

I will be 51 this year. Currently retraining as a TA in a private school. It’s been hard going back to studying at my age, and I have to take a couple of exams 😱 but I’m so glad I’m doing it.

Traveller104 Wed 03-Apr-19 22:05:33

I did a complete career change at 45, left an industry I’d worked in for 25 years and got a level 5 qualification for my new career whilst working in a really junior role, then did a masters degree which has helped me move up the ladder quite quickly in the last 5 years... it’s doable but you have to be brave!

Pastaagain78 Wed 03-Apr-19 22:14:35

Thank you everyone. This thread is really timely and has certainly cheered me up.

mogtheexcellent Wed 03-Apr-19 22:19:23

I was stuck in office work at 30. Went to uni and now I'm an archaeologist and have been for 13 years. Bit bored of it at the moment so considering doing something else.

Justanothernamechange2 Thu 04-Apr-19 08:34:34

Thanks for all the replies. Very reassuring. Now to figure out what i want to do!

Just a bit nervous about the prospect of juggling new career + starting a family i guess!

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Thu 04-Apr-19 08:48:52

I'm just about to start training as an ODP, I'm 41. When I was in hospital last year, one of the student nurses on my ward was in her late 50s.

So - no - it isn't too late in the slightest!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »