Talk

Advanced search

SEN teacher appropriate?

(7 Posts)
QuickThinkOfAName Wed 03-Apr-19 09:37:57

Disclaimer I’ve had two hours sleep courtesy of grumpy baby and clock change confused toddler so please be gentle. I’m fully prepared to be told I’m over sensitive.

I dropped dd1 at school today. They are prepping for sats. Her TA saw me and said dd got 100% in the maths one yesterday. Then started a conversation about how fun she is to teach and I must be proud etc.

Dds teacher (also senco lead) has been listening. Leans over and says - yeah but did you see her Mother’s Day card?
(Blank look from me)
She’s not very crafty is she?

I sort of laughed and left it at that. But this is the second time a senco teacher has turned a really positive conversation about dd into one where they point out her flaws.

This teacher has also done nothing to help dd in the 2.5 years she’s been here. She said her best option was private school but keeps ‘joking’ to me that dd can’t leave till after May (ie they need her to boost sats results)

Am I just tired and emotional?! Dd leaves soon but I will no doubt be back again for dc2 and 3 so don’t want to make a mountain out of a molehill

GreatDuckCookery Wed 03-Apr-19 09:41:53

The Mother’s Day card comment was strange. Why be so negative? Does DD like this teacher? If DD is happy in school I’d probably just brush it off unless anything else comes up.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 03-Apr-19 09:45:50

That's a really odd comment, very strange and inappropriate.

QuickThinkOfAName Wed 03-Apr-19 09:46:23

Dd doesn’t like her much but not massively. I get the feeling the teacher doesn’t like me much. I’ve had to ask for a lot of help in how to assist dd. We’ve been left to our own devices and dd has been bored the entire time she’s been at school. They can’t cater for her (which is fine and I understand) but seem reluctant to help me help - websites, books etc we could do with her at home.

MattBerrysHair Wed 03-Apr-19 09:53:04

That's really shitty. What an unnecessary thing to say.

Isadora2007 Wed 03-Apr-19 09:55:15

I’m confused by the senco stuff and you saying she hasn’t had any help in years- does she need extra support? Has she got sen? What help to assist your dd have you been asking for or needing?

QuickThinkOfAName Wed 03-Apr-19 09:59:07

The school was told by latest ofsted they should be helping more ‘gifted’ children more. It’s the wrong word but hopefully you get what I mean. There’s nothing in place to help the more able students. The senco teacher is in charge of supporting them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »