Talk

Advanced search

To ask if there are any doctors here please?!

(15 Posts)
SweetMangoPie Wed 03-Apr-19 07:58:31

I have had muffled hearing and recurring ear infections for a long time caused by eczema in my ear canal.

It had recently been improving slightly and I'd been able to hear clearly for the first time in a while. I was at the GP yesterday who said it was looking the best it has for a long time.

However, this morning I've woken up to a lot of blood coming from one ear... It's on my pillow and dripping down from inside my ear so still looks active

I'm not in pain but my hearing is now muffled again in that ear.

They have told me previously not to panic if my ear does bleed a bit occasionally as it will be from the eczema. And it does sometimes. But this is a huge amount more than I've ever seen and I can't help but be panicked.

Getting an appointment at my GP is a nightmare so the only way I could get it checked today is walk in centre or A&E which I'm wary to do considering it has bled before (albeit a tiny amount in comparison to this!).

Durgasarrow Wed 03-Apr-19 08:02:10

www.healthhype.com/bleeding-from-ear-bloody-fluid-wax-causes-warning-signs.html

Not a doctor but I hope this helps!!

BeautyWasTheBeast Wed 03-Apr-19 08:02:15

Not a doctor.... But from what I can gather you've been told not to worry about a small amount of blood, this is more than that so would definitely need checking out.

Bleeding from ear can be serious, have you bumped your head at all? Please go get checked to be on the safe side and put your mind at ease. I doubt an a&e doc would think you silly for getting this checked out.

MrsMozartMkII Wed 03-Apr-19 08:03:13

Go get checked.

DeliaSmythe Wed 03-Apr-19 08:06:13

Hi there, I'm not a doctor but wanted to bump the post for you in the hope one might come along.

Firstly, just checking that you haven't had a bump or any trauma to your head as that is a different scenario and a straight to a&e job.

Providing that isn't the case, how much blood is a lot?

Has the bleeding stopped now?

Would it be possible to log a phone call with your GP and get them to call you back this morning with advice? Our surgery is a nightmare for appointments but doctors will call you in the morning during their emergency surgery. Alternatively 111?

Sorry I can't offer any professional advice and hope you get sorted.

GayParee Wed 03-Apr-19 08:06:24

Get checked, likely a perforated ear dru. If you don't your GP and say that they should find you an urgent appt

Good luck

SweetMangoPie Wed 03-Apr-19 08:14:49

Hi thank you.

No head injuries or bumps at all.

It was fine when I went to bed so whatever is going on started over night weirdly.

I'm in no pain at all but hearing is muffled.

I say a lot of blood because when I woke it looked like an active flow of blood. It was dried around my ear but then there was a line of active flowing blood coming from in my ear down my lobe and dripping off. Whenever it's bled before it's been a few stains on a tissue.

From what I can see now it looks like it isn't actively bleeding anymore though still feels quite wet.

I may try and get hold of my GP this morning if they can ring me.

The only thing that's puzzling me about a perforated eardrum is that I was at the Dr yesterday who looked in my ear and said everything was okay. Can it just happen randomly like that overnight?

SweetMangoPie Wed 03-Apr-19 09:30:01

Bump

ShitAtScarbble Wed 03-Apr-19 09:33:17

Ultimately nobody here can tell you what is wrong with you. Someone claiming to be a Doctor may very well be nothing of the sort - and any genuine Doctor would tell you straight up not to take the advice on internet randoms claiming medical qualifications.

Have you tried yet to make an appointment?

THEsonofaBITCH Wed 03-Apr-19 09:39:31

dab the blood onto a semi absorbent paper - loo roll paper, paper towel, etc. See if there is a halo around the blood - if not, then generally okay depending on volume though anything on the head tends to bleed a lot/more than people think it "should". I'm sure someone will come along and say the above is wrong as it could be xxxxxxxx - which though exceedingly rare is in their experience what it's likely to be. In the main, relax, get it checked - mostly as you will want to prevent infection not because its something major. IF there is a halo you will want to get to a hospital quickest as there is a more severe issue though not immediately life threatening, however you will need to get it sorted and you will likely get blinding headaches/migraines until sorted.
I am trying to be reassuring its likely nothing to get too excited about, but always worth getting checked especially for infection prevention.
(Halo is thin cirle line of blood, inside that a clear circle and inside that the original dot of blood on paper)

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Wed 03-Apr-19 20:35:53

THEsonofaBITCH I’ve never heard of looking for a halo in the blood, out of interest what does that tell you?

OP hope you’ve managed to see a doctor and that everything is ok! flowers

CheekyChappy710 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:53:10

Oh wow I've had dry skin in my ear for a couple of weeks, I swear I've noticed a weird thing with my hearing and I've just been brushing it off. I am a bit hard of hearing normally but I am definitely more deaf since this dry skin has been in there. What is the treatment for this OP? Do I have to see docs or could the chemist help me? Hope you're ok. So weird I've got the exact same thing going on at the moment but no blood.

iolaus Wed 03-Apr-19 21:11:35

Not a doctor (not do I play one on TV) but when my ear drum burst it did bleed and feel wet

I'd seen a doctor a few days before who said everything looked fine

THEsonofaBITCH Wed 03-Apr-19 22:50:09

I’ve never heard of looking for a halo in the blood, out of interest what does that tell you?
Its a clear and unequivocal sign of cerebral spinal fluid in blood showing leakage brain/spinal column leakage, skull fracture with barrier break, etc. there are genetic causes, accident causes, etc.

DeliaSmythe Wed 03-Apr-19 23:50:18

I hope you were able to get hold of your GP today and get some reassurance, as well as any necessary treatment SweetMangoPie.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »