Talk

Advanced search

If you won the lottery, what would you DO (not buy!)

(151 Posts)
LellowYedbetter Wed 03-Apr-19 07:51:16

AIBU to think of you won millions, you’d still need a purpose in life to sustain mental health?

I’ve thought about it a lot, I think a year of mad spending and then I’d need to actually “do” something.

I think I’d start a dog rescue centre (ran from my massive country house!).

I’ve also thought about property development and perhaps renting out houses to struggling people to help them turn things around (teen parents, homeless etc)

AngelaJ18 Thu 04-Apr-19 08:29:18

Buy a big house with some land and foster children. Travelling first through!

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Thu 04-Apr-19 08:23:41

This is a lovely thread.

I would pay off my dad's mortgage and get him a nice wee place closer to us.

I'd give my sister and SIL a deposit for a better house.

I'd set up a regular donation to the hospice where my mum was cared for amazingly.

Donations to Women's Aid and other charities covering domestic abuse, sexual assault etc, children's charities.

I'd run out of money very quickly I think in this scenario but it would be worth it to make a difference.

Sexnotgender Thu 04-Apr-19 08:13:37

Charity wise- I’d provide some kind of home cooked food delivery service for the families of premature babies in ICU.

Totally stealing your idea but would open it up to all families visiting ICU patients. Been there done that with my daughter and you end up neglecting yourself.

It really is a lovely idea. I wish I could fund it now.

36degrees Wed 03-Apr-19 23:23:13

Restore buildings at risk and put them back into community use.

Boopeedoop Wed 03-Apr-19 21:59:22

I'd travel a bit, but I'd love to devote my life to charity. It's been my dream for years.

Theonewiththecat Wed 03-Apr-19 21:49:22

Like others I would open an animal sanctuary.
I would buy a load of flats/houses and rent then cheaply, so that people have more money to live.

girlwithadragontattoo Wed 03-Apr-19 20:55:21

I thought about this lots. I think I'd take some time out and then I'd like to go to university and study archaeology. Main reason is it fascinates me and it's something for me and no-one else and no-one can take the knowledge away

Goldenphoenix Wed 03-Apr-19 20:51:06

I would do lots of courses - cooking, floristry, cake decorating, diy etc
Would plant a huge woods and lots of meadows for the wildlife
Would foster dogs who need a home
Would donate lots to charities
Would build a timber frame house with a lovely big library

blackcoffeeinbed Wed 03-Apr-19 20:45:07

I wouldn't know where to start but I would aim to invest in supported housing for teens leaving care. Ie build flats for that purpose or convert large buildings and donate them to social services or a charity who would put them to such use. I've had friends in care and the reality of where they sometimes end up living, like dingy b&bs full of adult drug addicts or shared houses with people released from jail and all sorts. They are literally given their weekly allowance and left to it, no support or guidance to look after themselves or anyone to make sure they're home safe and sound. Then given a flat which is usually the dregs of what the council want to shift onto social services again sometimes in awful areas, a friend of mine got given one on the street of our local red light district and would have prostitutes knocking on the door asking to use her loo, she was 16! I probably couldn't change it for everyone but I would like to think I could make a difference for some so they're in a safe environment until they are equipped for dealing with the big wide world and still have support to continue education or get into employment, and are taught the general life skills needed to provide for yourself.

MaryPopppins Wed 03-Apr-19 20:42:51

*definitely

I wouldn't be a defiant animal carer. Quite the opposite.

MaryPopppins Wed 03-Apr-19 20:42:19

Yes I'd defiantly either volunteer on a rota so I had to be there and had a schedule at a local RSPCA etc.

Or I'd be a Cat's Protection volunteer and have a little set up to be looking after a few cats at a time from home.

RB68 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:36:14

I would take a step back and look at what I wanted - I think DH would still do what he does but I would find him support so I didn't have to do it and he could do a bit less for some time with us. DD is GCSE level so would let her finish that but then discuss what she wanted to do. I think finish reno this house or poss move out and make it what we really wanted - we love where it is and neighbours so maybe stay here. Would invest in a few holiday places and then use them to help others have holidays.

I would want to do something that helps others have a life - we only get one and I can't bear that so many people live a drudge of a life. SO help them turn things around to what they want perhaps.

LakieLady Wed 03-Apr-19 20:36:07

Enrol on the pig-keeping course at the local agricultural college.

Start looking for a house with enough land to keep pigs.

Thoroughly research pig breeds and decide which breed would be best for me to keep. This is my current favourite

modernfarmer.com/2014/03/meet-mangalitsa-hairy-pig-thats-kobe-beef-pork/

And I'd have flying lessons, I've always wanted to be able to fly.

fleshmarketclose Wed 03-Apr-19 20:34:02

I'd fund barristers for all the parents in my support group so they could go to Tribunal on an equal footing with the LA in a bid to get what their children need to get an education.

Purpletigers Wed 03-Apr-19 20:28:47

On my days off I’d volunteer to teach children to read .

Purpletigers Wed 03-Apr-19 20:27:54

I’d rehome lots of cats esp the feral ones who need to be wild and free .

Purpletigers Wed 03-Apr-19 20:25:41

I’d buy more land and
properties . I’d love a peacock and some black nosed valais sheep .
Charity wise- I’d provide some kind of home cooked food delivery service for the families of premature babies in ICU.
Id provide free music lessons for the children in my local primary school and pay a support teacher to provide one to one help with getting every child reading .
I’d spent an absolute fortune planting more trees on our farm and buying lots and lots of plants for my garden . I’d love a maze too .

isseywithcats Wed 03-Apr-19 20:18:54

i would set up a fund for helping independent but not registered cat rescues (because they are too small) for vet treatment as in neuter, flea and worm treatment , theres a friend of mine who feeds and looks after two feral cat colonies her dream is to buy some land and set up a sanctuary for them and other ferals i would buy the land, help her set up the legal side and set in place a fund for ongoing care , then i would look at doing the same myself, set up a cat sanctuary for feral and special needs cats the ones that dont have much chance of being rehomed in the usual way .

HotChocolateLover Wed 03-Apr-19 20:11:02

I’d find out where every single food bank is in my local area. I’d then discuss with each what they needed and then do a massive shop for each every week. I’d also do a free takeaway night each week at the food banks, nothing like a nice fish and chips or KFC to perk you up.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Wed 03-Apr-19 20:08:57

Clouded leopard sanctuary 😊

driftingcloud Wed 03-Apr-19 20:05:26

Travel.
Swim regularly.
Give up work.

Jsmith99 Wed 03-Apr-19 16:58:17

Travel.

Then, after I had run out of planet to explore, I would think about doing some other stuff.

PlainVanilla Wed 03-Apr-19 16:34:05

I would jump up and down with joy.
Work out how to give enough cash to the rest of my family, so that they benefit without being burdened and without taking motivation away from the younger members to finish their education/study/train for a job.
I might go and do another degree, just for fun.
I would certainly return to my musical side and get coaching for piano and oboe.
I would also explore the possibility of doing a lot of travelling, combined with cookery courses.
If the win was big enough, I would donate to my old school so it could set up a scholarship.

Sexnotgender Wed 03-Apr-19 16:22:25

Do woman only get rapped then?

Of course not don’t be ridiculous. However after being raped they are entitled to woman only spaces.
I’m sure some other lottery winners can fund one for men.

Grundtal Wed 03-Apr-19 15:18:26

I'd set up a retreat for autistic families. Somewhere affordable for them to go and take time out. It would be small, quiet and very autism friendly but with different activities available.

It would be not for profit so any surplus cash would go went back into the centre. However I'd also set up a charity alongside it which would help with funding those who couldn't afford it (as you can't run a centre on capital long term, you need some income for wages/running costs.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »