Talk

Advanced search

If you won the lottery, what would you DO (not buy!)

(151 Posts)
LellowYedbetter Wed 03-Apr-19 07:51:16

AIBU to think of you won millions, you’d still need a purpose in life to sustain mental health?

I’ve thought about it a lot, I think a year of mad spending and then I’d need to actually “do” something.

I think I’d start a dog rescue centre (ran from my massive country house!).

I’ve also thought about property development and perhaps renting out houses to struggling people to help them turn things around (teen parents, homeless etc)

Ellabella989 Wed 03-Apr-19 09:02:10

If I won a huge amount then I would open an animal sanctuary and would also love to open a food bank as there isn’t one in my local area even though there’s a fair amount of deprivation. I would also go back to uni and do a masters and I would love to learn another language fluently too

bridgetreilly Wed 03-Apr-19 09:02:22

Oh, and I would INSTANTLY hire a cleaner and housekeeper. That would be such luxury.

Figmentofmyimagination Wed 03-Apr-19 09:09:45

Sponsor the national youth orchestra. There’s a real issue with bringing on talented young musicians outside the independent sector.

lonalsland Wed 03-Apr-19 09:13:00

Pay the wages of granny/grandpa people to perform that role to younger children in children's homes - not keyworkers or any other official types, just older kind people to make cakes, read stories, sit and talk etc etc with them - something I saw on a program about Botswana and older people doing this.

Thesearmsofmine Wed 03-Apr-19 09:17:08

We would travel around the world as a family for at least a year.

Once home I would set up a bookshop with a little cafe selling cake/coffee etc and an amazing children’s section with book clubs storytimea & crafts.

harajukubabe Wed 03-Apr-19 09:19:26

I would be a philanthropist. Working on projects for female enrichment and nature.

Peccary Wed 03-Apr-19 09:19:48

Travel, Travel, Travel. I've done a lot but there is always more and some things i would like to do with no concern for budget.

i would then do a leisurely phd in a subject i enjoyed with no concerns about a job at the end.

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Wed 03-Apr-19 09:23:15

I'd be a mysterious benefactor who helped people in a crisis solve their problems but anonymity would be the key.

DIZZYTIGGER87 Wed 03-Apr-19 09:24:37

Open and run a fishery (DH would be in charge) and travel lots.

Also be tempted to have restaurant/bar/clubhouse on site too, and so I could do a bit there, but mainly pay someone to manage it.

Spudina Wed 03-Apr-19 09:25:31

@thesearmsofmine a book shop/cafe is my dream too. It would have squishy leather chairs and sofas and little tables with lamps. In the evenings there would be jazz.
I would plant trees. Millions of them. I do this now on a small scale but if I had the money I would seriously get into reforestation.

sweetkitty Wed 03-Apr-19 09:27:55

Like others in here open an animal sanctuary.
Travel the world volunteering

wonderingsoul Wed 03-Apr-19 09:27:56

Iv allways wanted to set up a sort of hotel /charity shop/food kitchen for the homeless, where they they would be given their own room/bathroom, given help to find a job long term. Only stipulation is they would have to help out with the running of the centre and be drug free.

Defender90 Wed 03-Apr-19 09:30:51

I'd hope to set up places across the country to support veterans and homeless (including those with dogs), to give them an address and access to the care and benefits they need to get back onto an even keel.

Large house, large gardens, lots of spaniels running about some other rescue animals, with someone to help me look after them, a place friends and family could come and relax and have a break.

user1471426142 Wed 03-Apr-19 09:31:12

Depends how much really. A lot of the suggestions above would need big money. If I had a euro-millions style win I’d create a foundation to give me some purpose. With a 1-2 million win, I’d pay off the mortgage, have some amazing holidays, pay for private school but not sure about whether I’d give up work or not. It would be nice to know you could always give up because you had financial independence but I think I’d need to do something.

HoHoHolittlepea Wed 03-Apr-19 09:31:50

I'd love to support charitys like the girls network and age concern, I'd fund the national breastfeeding helpline. I'd write a novel and travel with the kids. Possibly get divorced too 😂.

YAmILikeDis Wed 03-Apr-19 09:32:05

An eternal student here too

Set up a fund for single mothers wanting to study STEM subjects - I would fund them through Access Science courses as there’s fuck all funding and it broke me last year doing it, then give them extra funds throughout University.

I’d do something to do with Autism/ADHD and girls/women

Sexnotgender Wed 03-Apr-19 09:32:33

I’d rescue donkeys and greyhounds.

LellowYedbetter Wed 03-Apr-19 09:32:41

I like the idea about employing ex prisoners and homeless in the animal sanctuary. To expand on this I would run dog shows and training classes and hold children’s information workshops on caring for and training dogs.

I also like the idea about the adult autism centre being on the spectrum myself.

Sexnotgender Wed 03-Apr-19 09:33:45

I’d also throw a shed load of money at women’s services, rape crisis centres etc. Ensuring they remain open and only available to females.

wonderingsoul Wed 03-Apr-19 09:37:57

Sexnotgender

Do woman only get rapped then?

Itwouldtakemuchmorethanthis Wed 03-Apr-19 09:41:52

I’d buy my sister a house and set up a secret stash to bail her out in times of trouble because I love her as she is and I’d want her to know that.
Then I’d start a huge project in the garden and get dh to stop work and come and dig so I could admire him all daygrin
Obviously I would set the children up and spoil everyone I met.... I’m not totally self centred gringringrin

Al2O3 Wed 03-Apr-19 09:45:01

I would tame dolphins and have them tow me on a surf board around the Mediterranean.

BroomstickOfLove Wed 03-Apr-19 09:46:50

I'd do lots of undergraduate degrees in interesting things, and travel in the long holidays.

Giggorata Wed 03-Apr-19 09:47:42

I would also plant a wood, or woods, at least one of which would become a woodland burial ground, and one for pets.
I would also plant single or small groups of trees anywhere I could.

I would spend a lot of time on long distance train travel abroad.

Agree about the rape crisis and other women's services, too.

Might go into space.... (health probably wouldn't permit)

Onceuponacheesecake Wed 03-Apr-19 09:48:05

Have another baby. Travel. Get a dog and go for endless walks. Study.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »