Talk

Advanced search

to think that May’s offer to Corbyn is a bogus one

(62 Posts)
How999 Wed 03-Apr-19 06:27:22

(quite apart from the fact that of course she should have been reaching across the house 2.5 years ago before negotiations started)

I cannot believe that she will take on board some of what Labour want in order to make her deal fly.

The first Corbyn heard of this was from her address on the TV.

I think she will offer next to no concessions, and then somehow pin the blame on Labour when her deal is again voted down. Or when he refuses to be hoodwinked in the first place.

MutantDisco Wed 03-Apr-19 06:35:32

That was my first thought.

I despise Corbyn but he's a stooge in this. He needs to play it very smart and not end up with the blame for a soft Brexit/no Brexit.

Cheeserton Wed 03-Apr-19 06:37:08

But he does advocate a softer Brexit, mutant.

toomuchtooold Wed 03-Apr-19 06:42:14

Hopefully the EU will be smart enough to insist that any extension beyond 12 April comes with preparations to take part in the EU parliament elections.

God, what an utter mess this is.

colehawlins Wed 03-Apr-19 06:52:19

I think she's calling his bluff. ATM he gets to object to everything.

She was empty handed after seven hours in cabinet yesterday, so needed to dream up something to announce and settled on something that somewhat neutralises Corbyn's free rein to snipe constantly.

countrygirl99 Wed 03-Apr-19 07:03:42

She's trying to play a canny game and blame someone else for all the problems her government have caused. Hopefully enough people will see through her but given the standard of debate I've seen in a lot of places I'm not optimistic.

Fazackerley Wed 03-Apr-19 07:05:50

Hopefully she'll take him down with her.

Fazackerley Wed 03-Apr-19 07:08:16

I think it's partially genuine as they need Labour onside to get any deal through. It's about time he started putting his money where his mouth is. Certainly the old duffers in my village are keen to see what he has to say as they to a one think he's been shite, and I imagine they are fairly representative of little Britain.

longwayoff Wed 03-Apr-19 07:22:18

Its a year or so since I've had occasion to use this phrase, it was extremely popular not so long ago. I've found it at the back of the cupboard, dusted it off and its ready for a lot of use I BLAME JEREMY CORBYN. For absolutely everything. Everything that TM and mates have buggered up is unquestionably his fault.

Trekkingbeyond Wed 03-Apr-19 07:29:45

Why in God's name didn't this happen 2 years ago

MarshaBradyo Wed 03-Apr-19 07:30:58

Who knows but I hope it’s genuine.

ShitAtScarbble Wed 03-Apr-19 07:32:49

It's an elephant trap - she thinks she's ever so cunning and to be honest if he doesn't see right through this then he needs to go and anyone who ever supported him needs to go as well on the grounds that they are simply not clever enough for high office.

Corbyn should have taken hold of this whole thing from the start. He did not and because of that we are where we are. Shame on the bloody pair of them.

TheClaifeCrier Wed 03-Apr-19 07:36:54

She knows a general election is almost inevitable and this is a good way of smearing Labour before it takes place. I imagine it will go something like this:

TM: Support my deal.

JC: Only if you agree to a Customs Union

TM: No way.

JC: Then we can't support your deal.

TM (Outside Downing Street having kept the media waiting for the obligatory half hour delay that she seems to attach to all her speeches): Let me clear, the Labour party have refused to compromise. It's clear to me that in order to respect the will of the people and to be strong and stable we must now depart the EU with no deal. You can find your unicorns somewhere on the gridlocked roads of Kent."

CoraPirbright Wed 03-Apr-19 08:02:56

Is he going to strop out of the meeting again if May has the temerity to ask the new independent MPs to attend? He acted like a petulant child.

longwayoff Wed 03-Apr-19 08:04:55

Excellent illustration Claife. How dim are we supposed to be? What a stubborn woman May is. And sadly transparent. Heaven help us.

Fazackerley Wed 03-Apr-19 08:08:24

Theresa May has been talking to the unions for months. Len McCkuskey has been more organised on Brexit than JC

Fazackerley Wed 03-Apr-19 08:09:28

So they'll go for a customs union which is what the unions want. But jc has to come onside

TheSultanofPingu Wed 03-Apr-19 08:24:35

Yeah, a good way to blame this complete and utter fuck up on someone else. The sad thing is, people will swallow it as there is a lot of dislike for Jeremy Corbyn.

Fazackerley Wed 03-Apr-19 08:28:46

I do blame jc, at least partially. He's been shit. As I say, TM has been regularly meeting with the unions so at least they've been proactive.

TeddyIsaHe Wed 03-Apr-19 08:34:24

JC’s want for a GE over anything has fucked me off endlessly. And I say this as a strident Labour voter. It’s the only thing he has talked about, only thing he has pushed for really. So I don’t see these talks going any other way than him trying to force a snap election to ‘break the stalemate’ or whatever it is he likes to say.

CanILeavenowplease Wed 03-Apr-19 08:34:27

I don't understand how any of this can work. Brexit is not a party issue. There are people in all parties who believe in Brexit - soft Brexit, hard Brexit, no deal at all Brexit - and people who want to remain. You can't possibly find a middle ground by discussing with parties. What should have happened from day one is a recognition of just how split we were as a country when it came to the vote, just how split the politicians are in what they believe is best and then put together some kind of cross-party, cross-Brexit-belief working party to work it through in terms of what the bottom line was going to be. It astounds me that just how divided we are is only now being recognised but still isn't actually being actively worked with.

Couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery doesn't even begin to describe it.

mummmy2017 Wed 03-Apr-19 08:39:09

So true,. What can he say to change thing, can you see TM, who I believe is a control freek, letting anyone else run things.
That fence must hurt by now.

bluebell34567 Wed 03-Apr-19 08:40:13

i hope it is bogus. i am sure he will make things more complicated than already is. he is the last person to take advice from.

bluebell34567 Wed 03-Apr-19 08:42:36

TheClaifeCrier grin grin grin

bluebell34567 Wed 03-Apr-19 08:48:57

i think she is wasting her time with him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »