Talk

Advanced search

TV presenters pressing on screens pretending it’s the internet

(15 Posts)
LatentPhase Tue 02-Apr-19 21:23:20

Don’t they just look absolutely daft, ‘clicking’ on icons before cutting to reports or graphics.

What was so bad about, ‘this report from Jenny Journalist’?

Or am I just a grumpy old woman 👵🏻

Bezalelle Tue 02-Apr-19 21:39:43

I don't think I've ever seen this, apart from on This Time with Alan Partridge. Does it happen in real life TV shows??

Miltonroad Tue 02-Apr-19 21:45:24

All the time on sky sports particularly showing replays on football

SparklesandFlowers Tue 02-Apr-19 21:49:10

I saw it happen on, I think, BBC recently. Everything had the letters 'OS' on it, so not sure exactly. But it was just like the Alan Partridge show, with a big screen and someone tapping on the Twitter symbol, or a photo of a politician, or whatever, to start a short video report or display some text. It was so odd and totally unnecessary.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 02-Apr-19 21:59:24

The sports analysis software is real software that is interactive, and I would bet the software used on the programme @SparklesandFlowers saw is real too.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 02-Apr-19 22:12:39

BBC have started doing it. Looks bloody ridiculous, all that to-ing and fro-ing.

Can't they use a remote control?

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 02-Apr-19 22:13:17

Or get someone behind the scenes to do the clicking.

nickknowleshalfateacake Tue 02-Apr-19 22:17:06

It's on Robert Peston show on ITV, very Partridge

DishingOutDone Tue 02-Apr-19 22:17:59

Life imitating art?

VickyBHF Tue 02-Apr-19 22:19:28

Outside Source in the BBC News channel at 9pm have been doing it for a while.... I think it’s real isn’t it?!?

LarryGreysonsDoor Tue 02-Apr-19 22:20:23

I saw it happen on, I think, BBC recently. Everything had the letters 'OS' on it, so not sure exactly.

That’s is the BBC news programs Outside Source. They do it like that because in normal day to day stuff they are reporting using emails, twitter etc and their source.
However at the moment they are talking about Brexit and it doesn’t make as much sense.

DanielRicciardosSmile Tue 02-Apr-19 22:21:08

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I have seen on Sky Sports them use the "skypad" which I'm 99% sure has touch controls.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 02-Apr-19 22:23:24

Details of the software/hardware used by Outside Source here:

http://www.kenziko.com/News/?cat=4

Namechangeforthiscancershit Tue 02-Apr-19 22:27:25

I don't think there's anything pretend about it is there?

But I like how all our minds went to Alan Patridge!

EstrellaDamn Tue 02-Apr-19 22:39:09

I tweeted about this once and the presenter of Outside Source replied, saying it may seem gimicky but it's targeted at the younger audience who prefer their news delivered in a more bite-size, choppy format.

I watch it in a different light now and quite enjoy it. Although you can't beat C4 for news coverage IMO.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: