Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to ride my bike?

(10 Posts)
JellySlice Tue 02-Apr-19 21:22:11

Such a daft question, I'm almost embarrassed to ask!

I got on my bike today, for the first time in years, and I can't remember how to change gears. blush

I remember that you start on a low number, go up the numbers to go faster, and down the numbers as you go uphill.

But the left handlebar has gears 1-2-3, and the right handlebar has gears 1-2-3-4-5-6.

How do I combine left and right?

cornflakegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 21:26:12

You've got 18 gears. Start at 1-1 through to 1-6, then 2-1 etc

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 02-Apr-19 21:26:15

Start with 1 on left, then work your way up through 1-6 on the right. When you get to 6, go up to 2 on the left. Does that make sense?

Hamsterdancer Tue 02-Apr-19 21:26:58

I would also like to know this my son just got a bike with this and I have no idea how it works.

Makes me feel old as my old bike only had 123 on one bar.

CMOTDibbler Tue 02-Apr-19 21:27:23

Your bike has two sets of gearing - a low/medium/high on the left, and then on the right control you have 1-6 gears in each of those. So grinding up a steep hill, you'd have 1 on the left, 1 on the right for instance to give you your very lowest gear. Then as it flattened out, go up on the right to maybe 4, and then change to 2 on the left

JellySlice Tue 02-Apr-19 21:59:53

Start with 1 on left, then work your way up through 1-6 on the right. When you get to 6, go up to 2 on the left. Does that make sense?

If I go (L-R) 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5, 1-6, when I go up to 2 on the left I'll end up on 2-6. How do I get from 1-6 to 2-1?

SuddenlyISee Tue 02-Apr-19 22:03:24

I can't even ride a bike but I'm following this because I'm intrigued! It sounds unnecessarily confusing!

magoria Tue 02-Apr-19 22:08:15

1-1 will be for inclines. If you start on that on a flat surface your legs will be spinning like a hamster in a wheel.

3-6 will be for wizzing down hills.

Try starting on something like 2-3 and work from there.

As you change up from say 1-6 move both gears at the same time. You may find depending on the gears that the 1-6 can be dropped by 3 at a time with a long push. So you can go from 1-6 to say 2-3 at the same time.

Stayawayfromitsmouth Tue 02-Apr-19 22:08:44

Unless you live on a steep hill, start off with the front middle gear and back middle gear. If it's hard work change down a few gears until it feels right.
1 and 1 will be the easiest to turn and usually used to get up a steep hill.
You can turn the bike upside down and spin the pedals by hand to get the gears in the right starting place.

Ariela Tue 02-Apr-19 22:11:46

Look online at the videos Sustrans have produced - think there's one about gears. Also look for local groups for help with training.

www.sustrans.org.uk
bikeability.org.uk/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »