Talk

Advanced search

Not happy with tiler

(45 Posts)
Numptysod Tue 02-Apr-19 20:29:42

So I had to have tiles removed and shower mixer reinstalled?

I like how it was done first time full tiles then half a Tile in corner of shower

Second time it's square tile tile square

Am I being unreasonable to say they got to restart?

What everyone opinions
Photo 1 or photo 2

Jackshouse Tue 02-Apr-19 20:32:19

I’m a bit lost. What’s the problem?

Peterpiperpickedwrong Tue 02-Apr-19 20:33:13

YANBU. I couldn’t live with that.

soulrider Tue 02-Apr-19 20:34:25

Yes, you'd be unreasonable to ask them to start again. Balancing the cut tiles so that there are equal width tiles at both ends is the right way to do things.

BirdieInTheHand Tue 02-Apr-19 20:34:52

I agree OP sorry - first version is better

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 02-Apr-19 20:36:11

So before you had Full tile, full tile, partial tile
Now you have smaller partial tile, ful, full, small partial.

I think the second option is better, it's symmetrical

soulrider Tue 02-Apr-19 20:36:21

The first version you can't see the full width of the wall, with the cut tile in the shower corner so not sure how anyone here can say it's better.

Mumofaprinny Tue 02-Apr-19 20:37:12

Oh I see what you mean. No, I wouldn’t be happy with that tbh.

Houseonahill Tue 02-Apr-19 20:38:09

I think it looks fine

thewreckofthehesperus Tue 02-Apr-19 20:38:54

I prefer the symmetry on the second one too

donquixotedelamancha Tue 02-Apr-19 20:38:55

Am I being unreasonable to say they got to restart?

No, you can ask for what you want, because you are paying for it. If you are happy to spend whatever it will cost to do it again, then go for it.

BruceAndNosh Tue 02-Apr-19 20:41:33

It depends on what is the dominant wall of the bathroom.
We've just had ours done, and he did the wall facing the door with symmetrical tiles which meant half tiles at the outer edges. It is very pleasing to the eye.
The trouble is you have that boxing in on the left which unbalances the wall

IndianaMoleWoman Tue 02-Apr-19 20:44:09

The second one looks like it’s supoosed to be symmetrical (partial - full - full - partial) but the partials on either side are nowhere near the same size, so it just looks messy. I think they’ve had to do it that way because they’ve started with the taps or whatever they are on the wall and if they moved the tile to where it should be to create symmetry then the tap pipe things would be in the middle of the grouting which would also look odd.

Numptysod Tue 02-Apr-19 20:49:03

Square full full (smaller than square tile) no not symmetrical

Numptysod Tue 02-Apr-19 20:50:56

That wall is dominant one
You walk in it straight forward.

Numptysod Tue 02-Apr-19 20:52:27

Tile on right hand side is smaller than a square so doesn’t work.

Susanna30 Tue 02-Apr-19 20:53:28

It looks fine the way they have done it.

Unless you clearly specified how you wanted it exactly, at the beginning, then yes YABU to get them to restart. I can't imagine they would do it free of charge.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 02-Apr-19 20:54:34

Lovely tiles, however they are laid

DramaAlpaca Tue 02-Apr-19 20:55:59

I agree with you OP. That would annoy me.

Numptysod Tue 02-Apr-19 20:57:55

Square full full part of square
It not symmetrical at all.

SosigDog Tue 02-Apr-19 21:08:32

Not really sure what I’m looking at because the photos are different and don’t show the same wall?

If the first lot of tiles went full, full, partial tile in the corner, that’s wrong and that’s not how you tile. The second photo has been tiled correctly, starting from the centre and laid symmetrically with equal sized cuts on both sides. My complaint about this particular job is that they haven’t centred it properly so the cuts on either side aren’t the same size.

Gertie75 Tue 02-Apr-19 21:10:18

I prefer the first one too, it shows have rectangle tiles and elongates the wall, once your shower screen is up it'll break up the rectangles even more.

soulrider Tue 02-Apr-19 21:10:19

My complaint about this particular job is that they haven’t centred it properly so the cuts on either side aren’t the same size.

I think that's because of avoiding the shower pipes coming through a grout line as someone mentioned earlier

Badwifey Tue 02-Apr-19 21:10:41

I definitely agree with the first one. I think the new way looks awful. Sorry op. It's looks a bit wonky and uneven. Will new tiles be needed though won't they all crack of they're removed?

SosigDog Tue 02-Apr-19 21:12:32

I can see why they’ve done it like that though - because of where the taps are. They can’t put a tile joint in the middle of the taps, which is what they’d have to do to make it perfectly symmetrical with the same size tiles at both sides. So they’ve measured the centre and shifted over slightly to position the taps on a full tile. The fault is with the positioning of the taps imo, there’s not much the tiler could do about it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »