Advanced search

AIBU to be panicking over this?

(24 Posts)
Purplegecko Tue 02-Apr-19 17:20:27

My boyfriend drilled a screw into a water pipe last night, he didn't realise and neither did I. I took the screw out today as he'd put it in the wrong place and was hit in the face by a jet of water. (I hadn't asked him to do this nor did I know he had done it until I came home today so it was a shock!).

I turned the water off but I'm now left with a hole in the pipe, and no running water when I've got a toddler and it's 'that time of the month' so really need water for washing machine and showers.

How much roughly will this cost to fix? I know it depends on the extent of the damage to the pipe but an idea of cost if I need a plumber would be appreciated.

I am a student so haven't got a lot of money, so I'm in a total panic really! Can this be sorted easily or am I looking at hundreds for a plumber? I've lived on my own for about 5 years, since I was 17, and never had any kind of plumbing problem and don't know what to do.

I feel really silly for not having a clue sad

Wintersnowdrop Tue 02-Apr-19 17:24:32

Where’s your boyfriend now? Can’t he fix it?

gobbynorthernbird Tue 02-Apr-19 17:31:15

Do you have insurance? And do you own or rent? Any immediate neighbours?

Houseonahill Tue 02-Apr-19 17:32:59

Are you insured? Insurance may cover it.

That is just a link from Google but it explains a quick fix depending how handy you or your bf are but it's not a permanent solution.

PolarBearDisguisedAsAPenguin Tue 02-Apr-19 17:36:26

I think you’ll need to get a couple of quotes from plumbers as it’s impossible to know how much damage there is from what you have written. Then you’ll know whether you need to contact your home insurance and see if they will cover it or whether it isn’t worth claiming anyway. Hopefully it is straightforward and cheap to fix.

PutyourtoponTrevor Tue 02-Apr-19 17:38:02

Your boyfriend should be sorting this!

HoneysuckIejasmine Tue 02-Apr-19 17:39:56

We did this. Had to cut out a bit of plasterboard, repair the pipe and then repair the plasterboard. I don't recall the cost unfortunately, but it was elevated by the fact it was a weekend evening.

Purplegecko Tue 02-Apr-19 18:13:32

I don't mean to drip feed but boyfriend is saying it isn't his fault and has no money to fix it and got angry at me asking him to help sort it although I think he's just embarrassed.
I have insurance but the excess is equally as scary as the cost of a plumber right now.
I rent and neighbours have all had a look and most have said they have no clue but one helped me shut the water off or the flooding would have been way worse. Luckily all flooring and furniture is okay!

Palominoo Tue 02-Apr-19 18:20:34

Join this

Make a post asking for a cheap but recommended plumber.

On my one there are always local peoplw helping each other out.

Dump the boyfriend.

CaptSkippy Tue 02-Apr-19 18:23:15

He broke it, therefore its his responsibility to get it fixed.

thatdisorganisedmum Tue 02-Apr-19 18:27:53

emergency plumbers usually charge a fee for their visits.

I would ask on a local facebook group for plumbers who could look at it and give you a free quote.
Or you could put a photo and ask for quotes based on them, that would give you at least an idea.

aprarl Tue 02-Apr-19 18:30:08

Disclaimer, I'm not an expert, but could you try this as an emergency fix?

I'm also going to tag @pigletjohn to see if he's around for any advice smile

picklemepopcorn Tue 02-Apr-19 18:30:36

I put the screw back in.

Kept an eye on the area. No sign of any damp several years later.

Sparklesocks Tue 02-Apr-19 18:33:25

It’s a bit shit that your boyfriend is refusing to take responsibility for his fuck up, stress isn’t really an excuse - when adults balls up they take control. And getting arsey at you isn’t really on.

Agree with others, look on fb and ask for local plumbers. Unfortunately it might have to be a bite the bullet and pay scenario, with either a plumber or your excess.

Sparklesocks Tue 02-Apr-19 18:34:40

Also let you landlord know.

Peterpiperpickedwrong Tue 02-Apr-19 18:41:24

are you saying the pipe is inside the wall? So it’s not going to be just fixing the leak there will be re plastering involved?

Maybe put the screw back in to plug the hole and fill as many buckets/pans/bottles with water as you can then turn it off again. Running the washing machine is not really a priority for tonight. An emergency plumber will be extortionate. Once the water is off then I would phone one in the morning.

When I had a boiler issue I did manage to fully shower with one big pan of water. A bit grim but doable.

You really should let your landlord know ASAP.
Your BF sounds awful btw. Accidents happen but it IS his fault and he should be grovelling not getting angry.

AmIRightOrAMeringue Tue 02-Apr-19 18:45:55

Your insurance might pay of there was any damage but probably wouldn't cover damage to the pipe itself.

Think you need to ring some plumbers and ask for a quote. Or put out a plea on Facebook- anyone know anyone who can fix this (with pic) type of thing

AmIRightOrAMeringue Tue 02-Apr-19 18:48:00

Oh and your bf is being a dick - anyone can make a mistake and damage someone else's property even when they're trying to help, but saying 'your problem now!' and getting angry when you say that's not right is not acceptable. Amy decent person would be v apologetic and trying to help you get it sorted. Even if he genuinely has no money he can still help you get quotes etc sorted

WhoKnewBeefStew Tue 02-Apr-19 18:50:12

I’ve just had exactly the same thing happen. Plumber charges me £100 to fix. That’s just the leak tho, not the mess the water made

PotsOfJoy Tue 02-Apr-19 18:50:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mummmy2017 Tue 02-Apr-19 18:51:16

If your going to use the wrap put super glue over the hole, repeat four or five times ,till it is a thick layer.
We did this lasted ten years till we redid the kitchen .

Purplegecko Tue 02-Apr-19 19:16:55

Yes Peter the wall has now been cut away but not a huge amount thankfully.

Neighbour I don't know has come to the rescue and cut the wall and is trying to sort it out, hopefully we will avoid the cost of a plumber and I'm panicking a lot less now boyfriend is actually home! Luckily is is just a plastic pipe and not a copper one.

DD is at her daddy's, the life saver, for the night now so she can bathe until its fixed and other neighbours have said we can use their bathrooms and washing machines in the meantime, faith in the meaning of community restored!

I don't have social media bar twitter or that would have been the first port of call. Thanks all for your reassurance and advice.

Problem not fixed yet but will update as and when it is!

unexpectedgifts Tue 02-Apr-19 19:40:38

I rent through a decent letting agency. Our tenants had a similar leak that was fixed by the agency's plumber. The bill was £65, which I though was very reasonable.

Do you rent through a letting agency? Might be worth calling them as you'd have to inform them anyway.

Babuchak Tue 02-Apr-19 19:53:41

I don't have social media bar twitter or that would have been the first port of call.

join Facebook, and try to join local groups, parents and neighbours groups. MIne of local info

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »